Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

CAGE MATCH: Bridgestone Revo's VS BFG All Terrains

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAGE MATCH: Bridgestone Revo's VS BFG All Terrains

I've always had my heart set on the BFG All Terrains just because they are such a good looking tire on top of being a noteable in performing on and offroad (except in mud as some have criticized it as well as it seems to have a problem hydroplaning), yet after viewing this forum for a while now, on top of the ratings posted from the tire rack, it seems as though the Bridgestone Revo is really the better tire in most aspects.

I'm just curious what your guys opinions are. What are each tires attributes and pitfalls? How about price?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:20 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For 99.9 % street use they certainly are. They are a darn nice street tire. They can call the Revo an AT all they want - but there is no contest, just look at the treads on the two. The Revo looks just like the expensive sporty street rubber on our zippy little 6speed car, the other has nice grabby tread blocks to take you places in loose stuff (but not too much mud.) So what do you want it to do, and what do you want it look like? If it rains a lot where you live you might not prefer the BFG ATs on the street, they don't shed water and hydroplane something fierce.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 12-03-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:55 PM

This has been discussed a ton and the REVO whips the BFG ass in almost every catorgory excepts looks. I have had them in rain, mud, snow and highway. If you want a tire that looks good- go with BFG. Want a tire that performs better- REVO.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the BFG's personally. Had two sets - soon to be 3.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:00 PM

I think the Revo is an awesome looking tire. I prefer it to the bfg at's in the looks category as well as every other category. The Revo is the best performing tire I've ever ran.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

I dont know the BFG that well, as I have never owned them just seen them on trails with me where I have been. I have Revos and they have served me well on and off road, sand, loose stuff, mud and rocks. They have defintely not been my limiting factor. Their thread pattern is a lot more agressive that people might think. I know a number of people who are really happy with the Revos off road, also a number of people who are happy with the BFGs.

From what I have seen the BFG will protect better on rocksagainst wheel chips and nicks, grip is about the same on rocks (maybe a bit better with the Revo), dirt about the same, mud the Revo seems to be a bit better as it cleans itself better than the BFG. I think the BFG actually wears better than the Revo. On street grip the Revo is quite a bit ahead and quieter.

Flamed have you actually owned and used Revos offroad?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM

I have had numerous sets of BFG's over the years and thought they were great. Now I'm on my first set of Revo's and I love them and will buy another set when it comes time to replace this one. I always ran the BFG in a LT (Light Truck) and when that aggressive tread starts to wear they ride pretty harsh. I bought my Revo set in a P rated (Passenger) tire, just like ours come with from the factory. Lighter tire and made more for our "light" suv. (upon a recommendation from my tire guy, and his warranty if I didn't like them he would replace them.)
I rotate my tires always and I have no complaints about the Revo's so far, (12 months)even drove around in a foot of fresh white powder last weekend in Mammoth. (4x4 of course) No problem.
ALWAYS loved the tread on the BFG though.........

Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:04 PM

You can take a look at my website:

http://www.toyota-4runners.com

Take a look at some of my off-roading pictures, especially the ones where the tire is pinched like crazy. I'll put my Revo's up against most any other tire on the market, including all the high dollar rock tires.

Chris
Old 12-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

I've had Toyo Open Countrys & Goodyear MT/R's. Now I've got a set of Revo's on the stock rims and a set of Goodyear AT/S on aftermarket rims. Fact is, my truck is on pavement 90% of the time. MT's are just not worth it for that kind of infrequent offroad use. The short tread life and ridiculous balancing issues just aren't worth it.
SO when it comes down to the two sets of AT tires, it's like night and day. The revos put the goodyears to shame in smoothness and wet traction and wet traction is really important. I have yet to see a tire come close to the revos on wet pavement.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am definately going with Revos in about 2 weeks when I toss my Michelin LTX's (great wear, sux in snow!)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:00 AM

Revo's

REVO: The best snow tire I've used. They channel water excellently therefore decreasing the chances of hydroplaning better than any tire I have ever driven. I'm buying another set.
I think the BFG AT would be a much better rock tire though. They seem to be a bit softer and have more sidewall flex.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I have not used the Revo, but am about a year into BFG AT/KO's and love them.
This Thanksgiving weekend we were driving in the rain one day in Kings Canyon and on 1" of solid ice the next for miles. Then on Sunday we drove about 20 miles off road in 2" - 6" of fresh snow. I never had to use the chains and the tires performed great! I have taken them at least a half a dozen times through wet and icy conditions (mostly Mammoth, Bishop and the White Mountains) on and off road in snow as deep as about a foot and have not had any problems at all. I also like the rim protection the tires give. They also have pretty stiff sidewalls so they handle low pressures very well. Lot's of folks love the Revo's, but I have not come across any problems with the BFG's.
I cannot see any reason to change to a different tire.

This is from Thanksgiving weekend we spent at my daughter's place in the Sequoia National Forrest.

Last edited by SkyRat; 12-04-2004 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

If your rig is a daily driver then I would also consider a mileage warranty which the Revo has a 50k one vs the BFG's 0K warranty.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Another Revo Lover...

On-road wet traction you can-not compare. I drove the two back to back one day and I had twice the wear on my Revos. I also went through uwharrie national forest with about 40-50% of the tread left and didn't get stuck once due to traction, and eastern carolina is 90% clay . I also made it through a hole that had been dug out twice by 305 BFG MTs and it only took 2 tries to get through with my little 265s.

(sorry about rotation)
Old 12-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

I have had both and prefer the BFG KO's for AZ off-roading and street use.

The revos were great on the street, but so were the KO's. The kicker is that the KO's were AWESOME durability-wise off road (rock, cacti, sand, loose dirt, etc.)

My next tires will be KO's.