Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

BFG MT in snowy/icy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry BFG MT in snowy/icy conditions

I've been told before there were bad in snow/ice, but I couldn't imagine that it'd be exactly ZERO grip. I'm talking ice and packed snow. MTs are great in fresh deep snow. On the road, however, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to stop and there is no directional stability at all. Maybe one of the problems is running them with 40psi, but even lowering the pressure does not exactly improve the performance by much.

I have heard people stud these MTs, but I am yet to find out how.

Anybody else is driving on ice with BFG MTs? If yes, how do you deal with the zero grip?

P.S. I do know how to drive in the snow and ice, even with crappy tires, but this exceeds anything I've tried before.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM

get them siped!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by olsy1984
get them siped!!!
I've been thinking about that option, but I wasn't sure how much that'd improve the situation. Are you speaking from personal experience, does it make a lot of difference?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM

get a cheap razor knife and start cutting

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...reSiping.shtml

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sipe/
Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sipe them for sure.
I dont, so i put my stockers back on for the winter.
I had the m/t's on on the first snowfall.... icy snow.. in 4wd.. and if i hit the gas the whole truck would just slide sideways w/e way the road was tilting....
Old 11-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by NPE701
I've been told before there were bad in snow/ice, but I couldn't imagine that it'd be exactly ZERO grip. I'm talking ice and packed snow. MTs are great in fresh deep snow. On the road, however, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to stop and there is no directional stability at all. Maybe one of the problems is running them with 40psi, but even lowering the pressure does not exactly improve the performance by much.

I have heard people stud these MTs, but I am yet to find out how.

Anybody else is driving on ice with BFG MTs? If yes, how do you deal with the zero grip?

P.S. I do know how to drive in the snow and ice, even with crappy tires, but this exceeds anything I've tried before.
What the heck size are you running 40psi in ?

Fred
Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
i was going to link those just couldn't find them at the time...lol
Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep sipe the center tread blocks, it makes a big difference:

- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...reSiping.shtml

And drop the air pressure in the tires. Around 20 psi and they have a lot more grip.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 11-05-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM

i had a lot of the same experience...brand new 35x12.50 bgf mt's, got em siped and never looked back. the guys at the tire shop said i'd chunk them up off road, but it never happened. i usually ran around 20-25 psi on the road in the winter and was always ready for ice and packed snow. they definitely aren't studded snow tires on an all-wheel drive subaru, but they do plenty good. i found i could out drive the tires...what i mean is that i could accelerate very well and they would handle turns and slanted roads, but stopping is where they suffered the most. if i kept it slow i had a lot better luck. so in other words, don't over-drive the conditions or the tires. good luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM

ha, beat ya to it

i did it on my mud rovers and it made a hell of a difference, and haven't ripped and blocks off.

put 3-5 slits per tread block, and it's easier to do when they are on the ground.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 PM

I hate to say "told ya so," but everytime someone asks whether they should go with a mud terrain or one of the popular all terrains with a winter rating, I say All terrain virtually EVERYTIME. Why does it surprise you that these tires are absolute crap on ice? Look at the tire. Big, blocky tread, with zero sipes and a relatively hard tread compound. Look a a winter tire - lots of jagged cut sipes for biting into ice. You just realized the price you pay for tires that look good but aren't very practical unless your truck is 100% trail rig on mud/dirt strewn trails.

In the winter I run Bridgestone Winter Duelers. These tires have an all terrain tread with somewhat blocky tread for digging into snow, and on the tread they have lots of jagged sipes for biting into ice.

It drives me nuts when I see a thread like this and everyone says "MT," or "MTR." In a lot of cases it's about "looks," without thinking about practical. Yeah a dedicated trail rig sure. But a guy who has a rig that sees the road should run an all terrain with a winter rating or at least have a set of winter rated tires.

Sure you can sipe them, but unless you're getting jagged edge sipes which is virtually impossible to do, will they have anywhere near the performance of a tire with a winter rating.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:46 AM

i know plenty of guys who run M/T's in the snow and ice, most have them siped, so i don't really hear any bitching
Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 AM

I have siped BFG M/t's on our Wrangler and have no problems. I mean, it's a little squirrely if you get on it but it's a SWB jeep. I run them at 28 psi in the winter. I have siped Toyo MT's on my new Taco that I am waiting to try in the snow.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 AM

yeah BF Mt's and At's suck on snow\ice... Kumho kl-78's all terrains rated much better than BF's.. those are the tires i am going to next, plus they are much cheaper than BF's.. Bf's are highly overrated
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 AM

now, it's a well known fact that bfg a/t's are quite possibly the best a/t in packed snow and ice.

they didn't get a severe weather rating for sucking in the snow.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM

I have a set of 32X11.5 mt and 31x10.5 at. The mt do suck and I am not going to sipe them because I have the at's. The at's @ 15-20 psi let me go anywhere in the winter, 25-35 for road. WE GET WINTER, I drive the at all over local lakes fishing with 2-3feet snow. Get two sets, #%$& the looks.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blueyoda
..... Get two sets, #%$& the looks.
Thats a good point and that's why I'm trying to lift my truck as little as possible. I'm buying a set of MTs for my black wheels, but still want run the stock wheels on the 235/75/15's. They are in really great shape and the PO, also got them siped on top of the factory siping. They handle awesome on ice/packed snow. I plan to always keep these, but they will look stupid on a truck with lotsa lift.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
<SNIP>

It drives me nuts when I see a thread like this and everyone says "MT," or "MTR." In a lot of cases it's about "looks," without thinking about practical. <SNIP>
Seems a ton of the post here are about looks and performance be damned.
Not just tires, but lifts, springs, no body lifts. A lot of people are whining about looks, and they are going for "looks" over the cost of performance.

Oh well, that's the way it seems to be....

Fred
Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM

because some (not all) here are afraid to get a dent or scratch on their "truck"

like all these H2's with the "dubs" or whatever, they just like the bling and comfort of thinking they can drive anywhere.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Seems a ton of the post here are about looks and performance be damned.
i don't know about the rest of you, but i wheel my stuff and i wheel it hard. i've never cared jack for looks...function definitely comes before form. just because when something is built right it looks good doesn't mean that everything everyone does is for looks. it is true that real world wheeling machines (especially daily drivers like i've always driven) have to make some compromises at times, but usually you can get away with running an mt or something on the road so that on the weekend you can get further. not all of us can afford two sets of tires (although i think its a pretty sweet idea and definitely saves the good tread for the trail!) so we've got to put our money in one set of tires...if its up to me (and in my case, well, it is) then i'm gonna go for performance on the trail and suffer on the road if need be. heck, if i wanted something to get around in the snow and ice on road i'd own an awd subaru.

Quick Reply: BFG MT in snowy/icy conditions