Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels
Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Tire Repairs and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

1st snow run in the 02 4runner and the tires suck!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st snow run in the 02 4runner and the tires suck!!

Well, we got some snow yesterday as the picture in my backyard shows.

My 02 runner has the stock Dunlop Grandtrek TG35's and they suck in the snow. I had a pair of BFG All-Terrains on my 88 at one time and loved them, but wanted some feedback on the new Bridgestone Revo's (Dueler AT). Does anybody have them and if so how is the snow traction?

Thanks,

Martin
Old 01-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

I say again...

Check out the Toyo Open Country AT's. They are a VERY good tire. Excelent in the mud, sand, and snow, and they have a 60,000 mile waranty.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:13 PM

Can't say much about the Revo's, however I have BFG A/Ts on my 92 and can say that they are a great tire, in any kind of condition.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:27 PM

I haven't heard much about the Toyo's but will take a look. I had a set on my 87 VW Scirroco at one time and enjoyed them. The BFG's are great in the snow. At least they were on my 88 but would love to find out how well the new Revo's are.

Martin
Old 01-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

I'm fairly new the tires but i'm currently looking into the bridgestone duellers....

heard that it's abit better than the bfg's and last abit longer...

pretty sure someone will chime in on this topic and give us more light!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know exactly what my stock tires are but, yeah, they blow. even on wet pavement and the little metal expansion joints in the road... I skip and slid and those things are small.

But once I figured out the tires in the snow, the 4Runner did a great job. I can't imagine what'd be like with kickass tires.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:51 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Try doing a search on "REVO". There have been previous topics on them and anyone that has them seems to love 'em. I have a set on order after finding out how bad the Dueler H/T 689's are in the snow. Also, check out the comparisons, ratings and survey info on www.tirerack.com
Old 01-03-2003, 05:03 PM

Toyo makes an excellent tire. I have a set of Toyo Tranpaths on my 2000 with around 30,000 miles on them. I hope to get at least another 10,000 out of them before I have to get new ones.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I have used the Tirerack for quite some time, but it stinks that I now live in Indiana (sales tax). The stock Dunlops have 4000 miles on them and I am planning on getting a new set of tires this October. I figure the Dunlops will be worn and time to get ready for Winter. Hopefully, the Tirerack and others will have more experience with the Revo's. repAMP, Toyo does make a good tire. The set I had on my Scirocco and Corrado were great (Proxes something or another). I have never had much experiece with their truck tire line.

Martin
Old 01-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads Up on the Dunlops!! That's what I have on my 02.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:56 PM

The Bridgestone mud tires kick ass! Especially in the snow. Someone told me they have a thicker sidewall than the bfg's too. I also bought Bridgestone to support the company since the Ford Explorer gave them such a bad rap.:rolleyes:
Old 01-06-2003, 01:02 PM

Tires

I currently own a set of Michelin LTX A/T's that I purchased in 1998. They are 235 75 15's and are installed on a 1986 Toy 4x4 Longbed (now flatbed).... The tires have 30,000 miles on them and arent even halfway worn.... Many people were getting 60-75k off them back in 1998.

I also own a set of desert duelers on my 87 4 runner. They are very soft. These tires only have 20-25k on them and they can problebly go another 15k max. They are a soft ride and are not stout enough to provide good footing on the road. 225 75 15's

I like Michelin... I sold Michelin for six months at Sams Club after college.

Three main selling points on Michelin tires....

1. Bead design... Michelin tires have a freestanding bead design. Goto a tire shop and put a Michelin next to another tire. The bead on the michelin will stand away from the tire by itself. Other tire manufacturer's have to put filler up the sidewall constisting of polester and nylon fibers. Their side walls will not freestand.
The michelin design is supposed to create a better riding tire with a stout bead.

2. Sipe design......
Sipes are the little cuts in a tire responsible primarily for three
things.
a.)temperature control
b.)traction
c.) noise control

Most tires Sipes only extend to a depth of about 1/8 inch in the tire design. That means after 8-12k miles the sipes are gone.
On most Michelin's the Sipe design extends to the base of the
tread.

3. Quality.... I have looked at video that is shot in their factories and you could eat spagetti off their floors. I understand that that may be the way it was just for the video.

However....
I have been to a Bridgestone factory before. My job is in industrial water treatment....(Ultra Pure Water) That plant was nasty... Dirt everywhere. No one cared about cleanliness.

MICHELINS COST MAJOR MONEY...... Thats their only downfall. My wife's 95 Celica GT came with Michelin Pilot V Rated tires on it. They lasted for 35k as High performance tires generally do(H,V,Z ratings). They were 150 something apiece. So we opted to put BFG Touring tires on it at 60 bucks apiece. Michelin owns BFG and other companies as well. Very little design change came when Michelin bought BFG.
These tires are good, but they do not handle like the Michelin's. IMHO BFG's would be my second rated tire for the celica.

A set of 31x10.5's Michelin LTX A/T's at Sams club will cost you $600 Installed.

I have found that running 2-6 psi below manufactures max psi on the tires gives them their best wear (on the road). If you put 35 psi in most tires the outer endge will wear out first due to the excessive wear associated with steering. My Michelin's MAX psi is 50psi. I run 42-45 psi in the tires.

My father owns a set of 235 75 15's Michelin X radial LT on his 2000 Ford Explorer. He also runs air pressures that mimic mine. He has 38k on them and they still look GREAT.

I drive my 86 with the Michelin LTX A/T's fast and hard. I whip it around corners and generally drive it like a sports car. The tires are very responsive in snow and ice (on the road). I took them off the road into 5 inches of snow here in VA. They handled well..

Everyone has their likes and dislikes about tires... My only dislike is that I have to take out a loan to afford these tires... Everyone has their opinions about tires. Many people drive their vehicles and never pay attention to their rotation and air pressure. When they start noticing problems its normally too late and they like to blame poor tire construction for the abnormal wear.

Many people will tell you that you must put the Manufacturer Recommended pressure for the vehicle in the tire. The vehicle is designed for this pressure alone, its part of the suspension. That running increased air pressure will generate unwanted wear on shocks and your major steering components. I say BS. I think the car manufacturers and tire companies are in bed together to increase profits.
My vehicles have many miles on them and they do not exhibit these conclusions...
95 Toy Celica GT 102K
87 Toy 4Runner 144k
86 Toy 4x4 Flatbed 178K

Don't get me wrong... If you put more air in the tires it will ride rougher. You do have to sacrifice some in ride quality. But tires are expensive today.....

I welcome any discussion on this.... I will provide pictures of the tires in question with actual odometer readings....

I no longer sell tires. I am just a consumer that loves what Toyota does for me. Proud owner of 4 RED Toyotas....

Thanks for reading my ranting and raving.... I found out that I am going be a father.... Talking about something I know, helps relieve the tension of the UNKNOWN.....

Mike
Old 01-06-2003, 01:28 PM

I am looking for some new tires for mine and like the Yokohama Geolandar A/T+ I have read some good things about these tires and some bad. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Old 01-10-2003, 02:11 PM

I guess different regions carry different tires. I bought my 02 4runner SR5 last year and they came with 265/70/16 Good Year Wrangler Tires. I took it up to the mountains couple of times and it handle okay even on icy road, thank god for the traction control.

i guess same cars doesn't come with the same shoe.