First Aid / General Medicine Discussion pertaining to outdoor medicine, wilderness first aid kits, ect.

Good relief from bug bites, Benadryl cream

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good relief from bug bites, Benadryl cream

A few weeks back I was diagnosed with cellulitis on my forehead.
Prior to knowing what it was a coworker suggested I pick up some Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream, as it has histamines in it.

I had never heard of the stuff before, and indeed it worked to take away some of the pain on my forehead.

But I found another use for it as well.
While on the back property of our work out by the lakes, the mosquitoes were out for breakfast, and I was on the menu.

I swell up and itch right away when I get bit by black biting flies or mosquitoes.
I drove back to my office which was about 1/2 mile away, and put on the Benadryl cream on the mosquito bite, and instantly the itching/pain associated with it went away, and so did the swelling.

I am a believer in the stuff, and one tube stays at home,a nd one stays with my camping/first aid kit which I keep in the rig.

Give this stuff a try the next time a backwoods critter decides to make a meal out of you.
Mine is the Extra Strength.

http://www.brands2liveby.com/product.aspx?id=368
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha this stuff sounds just what i need! mosquitos love me as do blackflies, and when they start to eat me, i get mad swelling! definatly look into this stuff thanks for the tip!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM

that cream is great for stopping the reaction your skin has to the junk the bugs leave behind in you, but the absolute best thing for the immediate stoppage of the itch sensation is after-bite. I think it works better than scratching or slapping or anything, if I have an itchy bug bite and need it to stop NOW, I get this:

It's diluted ammonia, basically. I never go out in the woods without it. Even with skin so soft and deet and off and everything else short of a flea collar, I'll still get bitten. Then it becomes purely an issue of 'how can I get this itch to stop' and 'how soon can this itch stopping actually happen'.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for bumping this, I am leaving tomorrow for a one week trip.
I need to pack my Benadryl cream.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 AM

If you dont have that on you mix some soil or dirt with water and vinager the mud helps keep it on your arm and the vinager helps releive the itch at least it worked for me I remembered when I had a bee sting I was told to use mud to releive the sting and draw out the stinger so I figured it would help itching someone else told me to add the vinager and it worked also frozen vegie bags or ice help as well
Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 AM

Be careful with Benadryl:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...-side-effects/