Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Survival bow and fishing rod (s)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Survival bow and fishing rod (s)?

I'm getting ramped up for the winter camping and wheeling and since I don't like to haul in a bunch of fire wood and food that means I need to be able to provide for myself. I've got my large ARMY ruk-sack that I use for my survival gear and in going through it I noticed some things missing, so I'm going shopping.

I have a small fiber glass bow, about 45lb pull that I need to get a string and some arrows for but was wondering if any of you see this as a "needed" item in a survival kit? Perhaps a folding bow that would fit in my pack would be better? Oh and arrows. I have never hunted with a bow and know there are hundreds of choices for arrows and the heads. Recommendations?

Fishing rod. I already have a collapsable (spelling?) rod and small reel but after doing some looking I can get a fly rod in a hard case that you have to assemble. The hard case is nice since it'll protect the rod and the reel is pretty darn small so it takes up less room in the pack. Now I've tried fly fishing a couple of times and know it's not as easy as it looks but I can also use that fly rod for regular bait fishing if I need to. Ok now what the heck does "rod weight" mean? I would think the lighter would be better so it doesn't add weight to the pack but hell these things are thin to begin with. As far as line goes I understand I have to match that to the rod weight so figuring one out will help with the other.

Thanks in advance and see you on the trail!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just attach a fishing rod to your bow.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXfyJBnC0dw
Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 AM

The weight of the rod has nothing to do with the physical weight relationship to its actual weight.... it gives you an idea on the characteristics of the rod itself, for what kind of fishing... or better yet what line is meant to be used on the rod.

Yes "lighter" rods as in specs for what line you can run is better... you want to match the rod and the line to what you're fishing for (lighter line should catch more fish but you do have a tendency to break off a fish if you don't have the drag set right or you're horsing the fish back to you) - but remember don't bring a knife to a gun fight... you want to have a fighting chance to land the sucker.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

If your only taking the rod for survival purposes i would stick with the traditional rod and reel. Take bait that would suit the type of fish in the area. Small hooks and a can of burkley power bait will catch a variety of fish from streams. (Works on trout, panfish, and bass in my area) Fly fishing takes time to master and if you are needing food then i would stick with what i know.

As far as arrows aluminum or carbon shaft with a muzzie broadhead (both work well and aluminum is a little cheaper). Practice with it and become familiar with the bow. Should you ever have to use it one shot is likely all you will have at dinner.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is ancient but I searched and found it so some one else might too.....

for a Bug Out Bag (bob) I would use a sling bow (google it)..they are light, compact, and effective! you can even mount a real on your slingshot/bow to real in the fish.