Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Show me your military/expedition/off road camping traliers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Show me your military/expedition/off road camping traliers

I have seen a lot of cool military type trailers fixed up for camping/4wheeling with Google searches.

I know the guy's at Toyota Of Dallas have them with roof top tents on them.

Down the road after I move where I have a garage, I want to get one of these type of trailers and move the roof top tent to it instead of the FJs roof.

Looking on the AutoHome website under their gallery, they show some pictures of the style I have mounted to trailers.
http://www.autohomeus.com/gallery/trailer.php

I like these two the best, not sure which way is the best to access the trailer, from the sides or from the rear.

Maybe from the sides will give you more room to load/unload camping gear.

This way is nice too, but it leaves your gear exposed since it is not covered.

I have not checked yet into the cost of the trailer in the second picture, but I think that type would work well for me.

Here is a link to one of them that AutoHome mentions in their gallery.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

I can not find the second site, but the first one looks like the brand I see in the gallery with the AirLand tent on top.

So if you have modded out a trailer, lets see some pictures of it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not quite military, but the Aussies make some cool off-road trailers.

http://www.cubcampers.com.au/

http://www.ahernmetal.com.au/

http://www.ozzieoffroad.com.au/
Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=RobD;50790700]Not quite military, but the Aussies make some cool off-road trailers.

That extream is pretty cool but I bet it would cost a arm and leg to get it shipped here
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, camping trailers... My dad has a WWII flatbed trailer he uses for hauling cars, and lumber, and stuff with. That thing is a brute. Fully boxed frame. Tires are a PITA to find tho. It has 14.5" wheels
Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not quite Military

But damn PATRIOTIC!

1960's International Harvester pick-up

Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here is a cool trailer, and you can get the plans to build it too.
http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/
http://www.compactcampingconcepts.co...Box%20Main.htm

Same Cabela's type of picnic table I just got too.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobD
Not quite military, but the Aussies make some cool off-road trailers.

http://www.cubcampers.com.au/

http://www.ozzieoffroad.com.au/
The first two look like off-road variations on a Combi-Camper a road style tent trailer built in Denmark.
We had one when I was a kid and they were great you could pull in unhitch and be set up in less then 3 mins. I was 11 or 12 and I could set it up by myself. [sometimes did while my dad explained the features of the trailer to the lookie-loos. LOL It always amazed everyone else. Putting the add-a-room side tent on took about 10-15mins more but it was'nt necessary.

That cub-export from the first link looks like it would be a great liitle trailer.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 AM

I see pictures of trailers that people have made out of a truck bed that matches their truck, I love this idea, but i drive a 4runner. Any body ever seen one done with the back end of a 4runner. This is basically my dream project, but i do not have the experience to make it happen.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM

i would like to build a trailer with the back half of a 4runner, i have a 2nd gen so it would be tough, i was thinking of leaving the rear doors on and making a D-cone for the front. that way i would have side access to the inside and set up a switch to power the rear window/door..
Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM

I also have a second gen, my thoughts were more to basically cut another second gen in half right before the Bpillar that way you could still work with it, then using a large diamond plated trailer box to fill in the bottom half of the front and then just do some kind of custom sheet metal up the rest of the way, even continuing up with diamond plate would be awesome. Then using that surface area to mount some things..etc. high lift, shovel, axe, misc. other items. also the reason for this trailer, is that you could utilize two separate 4runner roofs, one for roof rack and storage, and another for a rooftop quick setup tent: D IMHO this would be one of the best setups for camping/expeditions. I have thought about this alot, and there are so many different options with this style of a trailer build. I would just really like to see if there's any that have already done it.

Does that description sound like what you were thinking??
very interesting topic for me, nice to see somebody else along the same path

:edit, also what is a D-Cone??

Last edited by graduatedpine; 04-02-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

If you have a 1 or 2 gen runner and want to make a matching trailer just use the box off a pick-up of the same vintage the body profiles are virtually identical. 3 gens are still close to the 2 gen trucks so that would work too after that though the body shapes split off and you're plain outta luck.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Corey, I am guessing you have looked at several of the builds over on ih8mud under trailer tech. that is where I have seen several "military" type trailers.

And for the 4Runner Body trailers, a second back half, or at least a short section of the roof with the hatch and/or tailgate attached may end up looking fairly good. the only drawback is that the "front" hatch or tailgate may have to be welded solid to give the box structural integrity to keep it from folding under its own weight if both ends were opened at the same time. Although with some kind of roll bar inside attached to the structure of the box this may be a non-issue.

Last edited by firemaniac; 04-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yep, I check out Muds camping and trailer sections.
Mud has probably one of the most active camping sections too.

I will not be getting a trailer for a long time though until I move.
If I move in the future though to a house, more than likely it will be a new Chaser I buy.

My roof top tent will be loosing some height before too long, it is getting a lowering kit
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM

The Chaser trailers sound like they are very well built. With the tent on top of the trailer I recommend getting the tailgate, mostly because after the tent is set up, there is always something else that will need to be retrieved from the box.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

If you do go for a tailgate model get a load drawer too 'cause sure as shootin' what you need out of there is going to be waaaaaaayyyyy at the other end of the box. If you have a drawer everything is easily assessable.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

All the Chaser models flip up allowing you access to the fridge, contents, and more, even when your tent is setup.

Different company here, but same principal allowing you to open it up when the tent is setup.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

IDK Corey... flipping the top with the tent up sounds like a great idea but if you have one of those side awnings or add-a-rooms not so much... and 'specially if your SO is sleeping in and you're trying to make a fancy surprise breakfast and darn it the pancake mix is at the front of the trailer... or else the fresh pack of diapers for the rugrat got moved and junior just can't wait any more...she/he might not appreciate being tipped to one side all of a sudden... I'm just sayin' a drawer saves a lot of bother...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM

I'd have to agree with aviator, parts to a system have to all be able to work together with 100% efficiency while staying 100% independent of each other for operation. At least that's for the most part what i try to go for, whenever building or buying something for the runner.....course.... it never works out that way
Old 04-25-2010, 04:32 AM

The old (sold)and the new ROAM (Recreation Optimized All-Terrain Module)Camper starts this week!
Attached Thumbnails Show me your military/expedition/off road camping traliers-fahn3.jpg   Show me your military/expedition/off road camping traliers-m116a2open-closed.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Very cool Pat.

Quick Reply: Show me your military/expedition/off road camping traliers