Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

1984 Xtracab 5th Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Slow progress since the last update. I upgraded the alternator to a 120amp from Davezoffroadperformance.com, because the factory one was toast (remembered this was the same factory alternator from the Sunrader that saw WAY more than it's intended use in that environment). I have the DC charge circuit run to the bed to charge the Kodiak while the truck is running (ignition switched Bosch relay), and I'm getting the fuse panel and wiring run in the sleep platform before buttoning that up. Today I installed a new Yakima Loadwarrior - that I immediately "modified" to accommodate the Maxxfan and then capped the cut tubing with 14 - 3/8" vacuum caps (pics below). It actually turned out better than I thought it would. I decided to flush-mount the basket to the camper shell so it would be lower profile AND so I can use my Yakima q-towers and bars to mount the solar panel on over the cab. I ordered the modular awning mounts from Fourtreks to mount the ARB awning on the rear of the basket, but won't be in for about a week. Have a couple days to dedicate to the truck so hopefully will update again with more pictures/progress. Goal is to be done by the end of the month, we'll see.

Also modified a Wal-Mart cargo carrier down to 35" for the ARB fridge - I cut out half the mesh on one side, cut a 5" slit down the center to allow the arms to flex over the other half, then lined all the factory parts up, drilled new holes for all the bolts and Wala a perfectly sized ARB carrier! Sure beats my original plan of fabing/welding one from stock and angle iron, and it's plenty sturdy enough for the 70lbs+food&drink that it'll be holding. I'm going to sew a waxed canvas dust cover for the fridge and put some indoor/outdoor carpet in the bottom of the carrier (over the mesh) to keep road dust/debris from getting all over the bottom

Last edited by takethetruck; 08-06-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 PM

Finished the platform, the pockets in front of the wheel wells will store clothing and have 12v outlets inside for phone chargers. Will probably post up a video walk through and go into greater detail on everything when I get all the finishing touches done. I pulled the windows and resealed them, and will probably be putting carpeting up on the interior of the shell. Also should get the solar panel mounted up this weekend. Getting sooooooo close to being ready for a field test.

Last edited by takethetruck; 08-06-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Nice!

The platform looks good!

What is that power supply box in the last picture?

Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Nice!

The platform looks good!

What is that power supply box in the last picture?

That's an Inergy Kodiak Solar Generator, it's a 1100w lithium battery/solarcharge controller/1500w(3000w peak) inverter all-in-one. Like a GoalZero Yeti but in my opinion much more versatile.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Just want to say I'm following along, your truck is beautiful, and the overland mods you've done are very nice. I know you have a daughter, so are you planning to take the family on these trips? Just wondering how the wife, daughter, and you squeeze into the extra cab. I have driven my family of 4 camping several times in my 4runner and it is tight, with all the camping gear, bikes, chairs, cooler, tent, etc. Granted, you've got a much more organized setup, but usually I end up using the hitch cargo carrier for the cooler and one of my camp boxes, stuffing the kids bikes and chairs, food, tent, clothes, etc into the back of the 4runner. Anyway, love your build, keep us updated!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Just want to say I'm following along, your truck is beautiful, and the overland mods you've done are very nice. I know you have a daughter, so are you planning to take the family on these trips? Just wondering how the wife, daughter, and you squeeze into the extra cab. I have driven my family of 4 camping several times in my 4runner and it is tight, with all the camping gear, bikes, chairs, cooler, tent, etc. Granted, you've got a much more organized setup, but usually I end up using the hitch cargo carrier for the cooler and one of my camp boxes, stuffing the kids bikes and chairs, food, tent, clothes, etc into the back of the 4runner. Anyway, love your build, keep us updated!
Thanks! When we went out to California last summer we just put a narrow car seat in the center of the bench seat and it was snug but fine. We've realized over the years of traveling that the difference between what you think you need and what you actually use is pretty great, that's why we sold the 5th wheel and paired down to what is absolutely necessary to have a good time with some modicum of comfort - the goal is to spend time outside and experience the places you go, so being a little uncomfortable inside is a good thing we've found. We haven't loaded up all the gear, but I feel confident there will be plenty of space. When it's done, we're going to take it for several shake-down weekend trips to help determine if there's anything more we can do without/need. Also, having my daughter potty trained now cuts out a lot vs last summer!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Hi-lift and Solar panel (mostly) mounted.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Well, I got it pretty much done now.

ARB awning mounted to the rear of the Yakima Loadwarrior with Fourtrek mounts.

Also got the RoadShower (4) mounted inside the basket which really worked out because the mounting hardware is so close to the shell that you have to use a box wrench to get it on (would take someone 35 minutes to take it off - good theft deterent) and it also blocks the mounting hardware for the basket (more theft deterent). Plus it works awesome, just fill, air up with the compressor, and you have a fully functional shower and sink-sprayer.

Got the fridge power ran and 12v plug mounted on the hitch (pics to come with the wiring update, or video). I also tied in the truck 12v and Solar and so far seems a success - have a watts-up on order to test total input, but my calculations tell me with truck-DC I'm getting max input of 280watts. Will be curious to see what the watts-up shows. Taking the first shake-down trip next weekend, fingers crossed!

Last edited by takethetruck; 11-05-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
truck is looking good
curious where you found that strap?

Old 08-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
truck is looking good
curious where you found that strap?

Thanks, That's part of the Yakima wind fairing tiedown
Old 09-13-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First things first, beautiful truck and camper. Going fast is overrated.
Secondly, do you plan to run your fridge while traveling or just when you are in camp? Are you worried about A) your canvas cover blocking the fan and overheating your fridge or B) providing proper vent for the fridge but getting dust and junk in your fridge because it's exposed?

Not knocking the idea, just never thought of exposing a fridge like that. I hope it works out, because the rest of this build is A+!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks, yes the fridge runs off the solar generator at all times whether the truck is running or not - truck and solar charge the generator on a separate feed. I haven't made the waxed canvas cover but it will have sufficient ventilation as it will wrap around the hitch basket itself leaving ventilation from below (basket is larger diameter than the fridge). The ARB Elements fridge is designed for direct weather exposure so I'm not really worried about it - the main reason for the cover is just to keep grime off for my own personal preference. Will have a larger update soon with more details. Taking it for the second shake-down trip this weekend.

Last edited by takethetruck; 09-15-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 AM

A few pics from our shake-down trip. Charge system is working great, regained 3 days worth of power usage in 1.25hrs of driving/truck-running. Everything is working well and took it down 10miles of dirt road (extremely dusty - like UPS-driver-wears-a-particulate-mask dusty) and just hosed the fridge and rear end off with the road shower when we got to camp.

Last edited by takethetruck; 11-02-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Your Toyota looks right at home at the camp spot!

I bet the ARB Fridge is much nicer than a cooler full of melting ice and water (what I have for camping).

The loooooog drawer slides look like they work well!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 AM

Yeah, the fridge is nice - not having to deal with ice. Really happy with the way the setup is working so far.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice

sweet setup i camp in a 85 coachman Toyota rv 😆
my rig is not pretty but i could care less about bling. I got it for 1k with fresh tires all around and 98k miles. It has no roof ac so for comfort i made a rail system that i place a 20 x20’ white tarp over to cover the entire rig and have ample shade on the door side.

Last edited by TiuckMihareyBolzack; 11-07-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:34 AM

Hey guys! So BIG changes since the last time I posted. We finished the truck, launched a family overland travel blog centered around truck camping, and are prepping to begin traveling in the rig this spring. Since our 5th wheel days are behind us, I wanted to add one last post to this thread for anyone still interested in following our journey going forward.

www.takethetruck.com
@takethetruck on Instagram

Thanks again for all your support. Hope to see you around the forum and down the road! Happy trails!
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Nice!

I thought I saw a user name change!

I am checking out your website now.

It looks good!

Old 03-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Nice!

I thought I saw a user name change!

I am checking out your website now.

It looks good!

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:54 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by takethetruck
Hey guys! So BIG changes since the last time I posted. We finished the truck, launched a family overland travel blog centered around truck camping, and are prepping to begin traveling in the rig this spring. Since our 5th wheel days are behind us, I wanted to add one last post to this thread for anyone still interested in following our journey going forward.

www.takethetruck.com
@takethetruck on Instagram

Thanks again for all your support. Hope to see you around the forum and down the road! Happy trails!
just started following you on instagram

just curious how are you guys putting your little girl's car seat in your X-tra cab? When i had my 84 back in the early 90's tried to figure out a way to mount it behind the seat, near impossible. It was a very tight fit up front with the 3 of us. 2nd kid popped and we ended up with an extended cab tacoma.

Looking forward to seeing the adventure posts

Quick Reply: 1984 Xtracab 5th Wheel