Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

2LT engine questions

Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2LT engine questions

I guess in swaps is the best place to ask these.

Considering a year-specific engine, (1987) to go into an '87 pickup. But I hear that the 2lt pops heads a lot. I'd like to find another Toyota turbodiesel of a similar size, if possible, in order to avoid having to deal with this.

But if it's not possible, I'd like to ask whatever could I do too keep the aforementioned head popping from happening. I've heard several references to "head upgrades," but can't find any of these online, and would like to know what they are and where I could find them.

The engine has to be able to handle hours of driving up steep hills @ 70mph in 115°+ weather. I'm not so much worried about the power as I am with heads going.

I guess I mean, it has to be just as hoss as the 22R at least.

Sorry for bad writing, I'm exhausted.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the 3L 2.8litre is a bit better. When a 2L head goes south it gets replaced with a 3L head.
1KZ is another good engine.
Their all over Ebay.

Clancy...
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2LT with 3L head, can it still turbo? Does it reduce the cracking problem, or eliminate it?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having driven a 2LT since 2003, IMHO the cracking problem is due to poor maintenance and people who think diesels can be driven like gassers. The major problem with the 1980s 2LT engine is short, cold trips and dirty oil causing the rings to stick, fracture and the pistons ring grooves to be destroyed, ruining the compression and sometimes the bores in the process. I have run a bypass Frantz filter on my truck for over 10 years and it does a great job of keeping the soot levels down in the oil and therefore allowing the oil to keep picking up and carrying carbon and dirt to the filter. There is lots of info on Frantz (and Motorguard) filters on theoildropserver under "bypass filters". Your full flow filter cleans to about 15 microns, a good roll of toilet paper cleans to about 1 micron. Scoffers don't even bother, thanks, go and read before shooting mouths off. No, your oil won't be clear, but it will have far less of the fine particulates that cause most of the damage.
The 2LT engines and the 2LTII and 2LTE engines need to have their cooling systems "burped": airlocks will cause problems. Again, basic maintenance and common sense.

Search this Thread