YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Diesel Swaps (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   2002 VW ALH tdi into 88 pickup (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162/2002-vw-alh-tdi-into-88-pickup-303105/)

4runner82 10-25-2018 11:19 PM

Hollingsworth, you are the man. Im already selling my w56 trans in favor of the stronger R150F. I never did find out what is the max HP / Torque the w56 can take.

wrenchtech 11-05-2018 01:19 AM

I still don't see anything over at the DCS website. Is this going to be available sometime soon? I've got a 93 extra cab with a manual transmission and an empty engine bay that is going to have a 2.0 liter TDI Passat Engine in it by hook or crook.

hollingsworth67 11-05-2018 05:37 AM

It won't be on the website til I get it in the truck and make sure it's all gonna work ok. We 3D printed everything as a test, now we're in the middle of machining some physical parts to bolt in to the truck. I'll make sure i put an update on here too, so you'll get an alert. We're also trying to do this one with no-lift, so the pan mod's are adding to it a bit.

wrenchtech 11-10-2018 04:41 PM

I'm subscribing to this thread to make sure I know when you drop the new products. Keep up the good work

wrenchtech 11-27-2018 10:22 AM

Any news?

wrenchtech 12-09-2018 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by hollingsworth67 (Post 52411533)
It won't be on the website til I get it in the truck and make sure it's all gonna work ok. We 3D printed everything as a test, now we're in the middle of machining some physical parts to bolt in to the truck. I'll make sure i put an update on here too, so you'll get an alert. We're also trying to do this one with no-lift, so the pan mod's are adding to it a bit.

I am dead serious about this swap. I am planning on going forward with the swap part of my 1993 extra cab 4 x 4 project in about two to three months from now (Feb 2019). I am currently replacing all the suspension pieces, cleaning and painting the frame and the drive line, replacing the fuel and brake lines, and doing a custom rear disc brake conversion with the early 2000s Ford Mustang calipers, 4th gen 4runner rear rotors, and brackets that I fabricated. I will be running tires between 32 and 33 inches tall, so for now I am sticking with the 4.30 gears that the truck came with, thinking that they might be a good match for the diesel torque. Please let me know if there's anything else I should be thinking about.

hollingsworth67 12-12-2018 09:15 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...489c088645.jpg
This is 3.0 delete version 1 (or ALH to R150). I made the crank adapter out of aluminum as a test just for the sake of time--and so I didn't have to clean out the mill just to run some steel. I wanna get it in the truck next week.
Adapting the OEM Toyota 8 bolt 3.0 flywheel to the 6 bolt tdi was the challenge, and keep the stack height right. I got past the 3D printed stage to actual machine part, now I just need to get it in the truck early next week and make sure it all fits in there. I am goig to at least try and do this first one with no lift kit. I realize it'll for sure require some oil pan mods, but I'd really rather do that than use a lot of lift.

wrenchtech 12-12-2018 09:34 AM

Looking good! I can’t wait to get my hands on some parts like that.. Any ideas about pricing?

coopster 12-25-2018 12:47 PM

(More of my time wasted reading 'I'd-like-to's). In other words,

Subscribed.

hollingsworth67 12-26-2018 09:43 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...787f5caaaf.jpg
Got the 1.9 into the V6 with no lift--so far, so good. It will for sure require either modifying the oil pan, or, if we get ambitious, we'll just offer one that fits.

4runner82 12-28-2018 10:47 PM

Id like to quote Homer Simpsons Gurgling "argglglgllllllglglglgllllgggglllgl" thank you Hollingsworth for the 2018 update. Have a Happy New year

jread 01-03-2019 01:51 PM

Subscribed! Looks like some good progress!

toyospearo 01-03-2019 02:18 PM

lovely!! great project

wrenchtech 01-04-2019 03:41 AM

Looking good!

I was asking if the transmission in its original position, but I see that you have already addressed that question in an earlier post. The answer is that you have moved it forward about 1 3/4 inches. So please let me direct your attention to another question: Would an IFS lift allow the OEM oil pan to work without modifications?

djyoung 01-12-2019 03:53 PM

I've got a 93 3vze 4runner and an 03 TDI Golf donor. It'll be my second diesel yota swap. I put a OM617 Mercedes engine into my 94 4X4 V6 pickup. Homemade all the way. Worked out pretty good in the end, but had a low power to weight ratio. Consider me a potential customer if you get a kit together. Subscribed. 8<)

pagoke 02-09-2019 06:25 PM

First of all, thanks for this great thread Hollingsworth! I'm debating doing this swap into my '91 22RE Pickup (found a totaled '01 Jetta) and your kit looks like the most complete option out there. I'd like to lift as little as possible and was wondering if you think a 1" diff drop from 4crawler and some oil pan massaging would provide enough clearance for the engine. I noticed in your front end picture with the rough country lift and engine installed that it looks like there may not need to be that significant an amount of lift to clear.

hollingsworth67 02-10-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by wrenchtech (Post 52415201)
Looking good!

I was asking if the transmission in its original position, but I see that you have already addressed that question in an earlier post. The answer is that you have moved it forward about 1 3/4 inches. So please let me direct your attention to another question: Would an IFS lift allow the OEM oil pan to work without modifications?

On the 88 the engine trans is forward an 1.750, and does have a lift. The only IFS lift I could find that moved the diff down was the 4.5 inch from Rough Country, I didn't really want that much lift, but (and if someone knows of one that's less-do let me know), it did provide lots of clearance for the OEM oil pan. Couldn't go any lower with the engine though without getting into the steering. The V6 truck has the entire drivetrain in the stock spot--(which is conveniently farther forward than the 4 cylinder trucks, and it look like even the Vacuum pump can stay!)), and that worked out really well, that is definitely the more conversion friendly truck. I just wanted to see if I could do it with no lift and try and keep as much stock stuff as possible. So far so good. Motor mounts changed a bit from the first pic, but, I think they'll be pretty user friendly, and no welding/cutting. So on the V6 truck, for sure with a lift you could keep that OEM oil pan.

hollingsworth67 02-10-2019 11:54 AM

I would love to have gone with just a 1 inch drop vs the 4.5, but I failed to find one--I hadn't heard of 4crawler, or i woulda tried it first. I think--based on the V6 truck--that since we got it in there with just moding the oil pan, that on the 22R/E trucks, that that extra 1 inch, and less hackin on the oil pan really would be the way to go. I have an unmolested 88 extended cab that's next, and for sure I'd give that one a go with just an inch of diff drop. I'll post pics of the mod'd oil pan too.

pagoke 02-10-2019 02:52 PM

Here's a link to 4crawler's diff drop if you haven't already found it. It's pretty simple and considering the amount of fab work you've done I imagine you could spin out a diff drop like his fairly easily. I look forward to the pictures of the modded oil pan. Did you find an all steel one to mod or just use the aluminum one? All I've been able to find online is that someone once produced an all steel oil pan, but has since stopped. There are steel/aluminum hybrid ones out there though.

hollingsworth67 02-11-2019 05:24 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...ed20befa49.jpg
OK, here's the oil pan in it's "as-cut-to-clear" condition. I basically took a damaged oil pan, and started cutting until it physically cleared, and I could see in there and make sure there was still room for an oil pick-up. No sense making a complete one if it wasn't gonna work. It appears it will actually all work. I think I'll move the oil drain to the back of the oil pan just make oil changes a bit easier. I was thinking we'd just offer to modify them as a service, but it might be easier and look a lot better if we just dimension it all up, do some forming and offer a replacement pan that fits.