All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

22RE -> 7MGE 3.0 L Supra

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another wiring q...

I started with a running supra, so getting the harness was not difficult...I have a re-cored 22re rad (told them I needed to cool a 350 so they put in a triple core) that is now sitting in front of the rad support and just behind the grill. Took the upper two mounts for the bumper off, removed the rad support (to be fabbed in later) and gutted the front of the hood to make room for the top of the rad. Will use hood pins later. As far as wiring, I think I have everything mapped out afaik except for the "small black/orange" wire in B1...it seems that is referenced in the instructions later on and used to run the efi relay in an optional configuration; I don't see the need to overcomplicate the wiring so I don't wish to go that way. I assume then that the wire should simply go to an key-on source? Will be trying a v6 PS hose to see if it is close enough to fit the 7m pump in the stock location, then use the trans cooler in the rad to bring the return from the box to the reservoir which I'll relocate to the other side of the engine compartment.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by motorhead
As far as wiring, I think I have everything mapped out afaik except for the "small black/orange" wire in B1...it seems that is referenced in the instructions later on and used to run the efi relay in an optional configuration; I don't see the need to overcomplicate the wiring so I don't wish to go that way. I assume then that the wire should simply go to an key-on source?
Thanks
Both Black/Orange wires need to go to a switched ignition source. All I did was strip a small amount of insulation off the large B/O wire and wrap/solder the thin B/O wire around that then take the large B/O wire to switched ignition

One other thing I did with the wiring was snip off extra truck connectors at a junkyard so I could make the entire harness plug-n-play without cutting into the factory body harness

Originally Posted by SupraCharged.com
Black/orange - Large 10 or 12 guage black with a orange stripe - Needs switched power. This runs directly from the ignition switch, and powers your injectors, coil, and igniter.

Black/orange - Small 16 guage black with orange stripe.(could turn into a grey wire from the connector to the ecu) This also needs switched power. This could be tied into the Large black/orage wire.

----------

Component Power
There should be two black/orange wires on the B1 connector. One should be large guage, the other should be small. The small guage black/orange(could be grey instead)wire is your ignition switch wire B1(16), and will be delt with later. It will be connected to a wire coming from the fuse box in the engine compartment. The other thick guage black/orange wire B1(17) supplies power to most of your engine components. You will get this wire from the IH1 connector too. This wire will be a black/red wire on the IH1(14) connector

Last edited by corax; 10-15-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 AM

Thanks...I copied the info to a side document but must have had cranial-anal immersion and didn't grab the part about what to do with the small black/orange wire if one did not want to do all the extra wiring with the efi relay.

I skimmed through your build a few times, but can't find how you dealt with the tach. If I can't score a v6 sr5 cluster, I will attempt the resistor on the stock cluster, as I already have a factory tach and would rather not have a dead gauge in the cluster and a pod one as well. If I have to go with the resistor, I will try to ghetto the supra cluster up so I can read that one while mucking with the truck one.

Thanks again
Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by motorhead
I skimmed through your build a few times, but can't find how you dealt with the tach. If I can't score a v6 sr5 cluster, I will attempt the resistor on the stock cluster, as I already have a factory tach and would rather not have a dead gauge in the cluster and a pod one as well. If I have to go with the resistor, I will try to ghetto the supra cluster up so I can read that one while mucking with the truck one.

Thanks again
Here's a write-up on how to adjust it with a bit of solder and a resistor
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/tachmod.htm

Here's what I did (I think my cluster came froma 4cyl also, so yours should be similar), there's a dashpot on the tach you can play with. What I did was hook my DVOM (has a tach function) to the coil and taped it to the windshield so I could read it. I then drove around for awhile with the cluster still apart/open and adjusted it till the rpm on my DVOM was the same as the tach at all RPM - simple adjustment really.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-screw-177658/

Last edited by corax; 10-16-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Wow i just happened to notice your from Eastern Pa.

Just where i am looking to go with the 7MGTE only because I have a Celica with that motor in. i am looking for a pick up with more power for towing.

Would love to see this in person

I also plan on putting a 5mge in a 4runner

a very good thread thanks for all the good information.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Did you have to weld in the engine mounts or did using the 5m brackets locate to motor corectly without having to fabricate and weld? Thanks, how is your swap on gas and power. I hope to do mine this year.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerRandy
Did you have to weld in the engine mounts or did using the 5m brackets locate to motor corectly without having to fabricate and weld? Thanks, how is your swap on gas and power. I hope to do mine this year.
Originally Posted by corax
I like the 7MGE, it's enough for my needs - it'll pull a 3,500 lb trailer with no problem and still get 20mpg with less expense than te 3.4L swap. I think I spent less than $1000 on the whole job withsome careful junkyarding.
Since everyone is considering fuel economy these days, I'll also say that my 22RE before the swap got 20mpg and I recently got 19.5 mpg highway cruising 80mph with the 7MGE (15mpg on the trails in Big Bear).
Motor mounts are all bolt-in, no welding
- 5MGE motor mount brackets – bolt on one position further back on the 7MGE block and allow you to use the stock 22RE rubber engine mounts
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM

i hate diggin up old threads but this one is great! it helped me out greatly!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 AM

Glad I could help
Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Gonna drag this thread back up, it's a real good one. So I started gathering the parts for the swap, possibly found a 92 donor with a 7mgte, the man claims 27,000 miles on the rebuilt engine, but I have not confirmed. Found a few backups if that one doesnt pan out. I have checked every wrecking yard listed on this place ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...-yards-149035/ ) plus some and can not track down the 5mge mount brackets. Does anyone here have the dimensions of these mounts so I can just make my own? It would make my life quite a bit easier. I love my 22RE, but I need the power, and I love the challange.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM

you could try one of the national junkyard locating services that are ascattered all over the net - I think there were alot of Cressidas with 5MGEs in them (that's where I got mine). Worst case, bolt everything together, use a floor jack to lift the engine where you want it (enough room between the oil pan and tie rods?) and make your own measurements.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 AM

i'd recomend any one installing a 7m using 5m mount's to just save their self the hassle and weld them up right away. i used an old u-bolt and some 1/8 inch steer that i cut up i belive it was a sway bar mount or a steering stablizer . either way it was scrape.

i would install the mounts so they fit. lossen the 19mm nut if need to be. and then tighten it back up and pull them out and weld them up as you feel need to be.

i was simple test fitting and mine worked the first try after breaking both sides...

i probally will brace them up some more. but so far so good!

Name:  08022010095.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  08022010094.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  184.3 KB

Last edited by 7m4x4dude; 08-05-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM

I think I found a set in Oklahoma City. I have a friend up there so it gives me an excuse to go see him. Corax, how many years have you been running the 7M now? Have you had any issues? Also, in all of my researching I have yet to find a 7M swap where the a/c was functional. I know this is due to clearance in front of the radatior, but have you seen any that have had the a/c working? I put one of my project cars on craigslist for sale or trade (for Supra or Cressida) and have a guy that wants to come look monday. I'm giddy
Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw this in person, its awesome!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 PM

It's been a minor evolution tinkering with it here and there for the last 4 years. Pretty much done though.

If you can find room for the condensor in the front, I had thought about using a Honda A/C compressor - the pulley should be OK and the outlets are on the correct side (if you mount on the passenger side of engine)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 PM

I am giving myself about 3 months for researching, rebuilding, gathering, and preping before I take out my engine. I have started gathering parts on ebay and craigslist, in the event of not finding an entire parts car. I bought 2 ecu's, one turbo on non, with full wire harnesses... wait for it..... $35 shipped to my door! I am working a deal on a bellhousing and a few other odds and ends. If I do find a good donor car I will prob just sell my extras on here for what I have in them. I love my truck, had it almost 10 years, but 0-60 in 3 days gets old!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jsn_stockard
I am giving myself about 3 months for researching, rebuilding, gathering, and preping before I take out my engine. I have started gathering parts on ebay and craigslist, in the event of not finding an entire parts car. I bought 2 ecu's, one turbo on non, with full wire harnesses... wait for it..... $35 shipped to my door! I am working a deal on a bellhousing and a few other odds and ends. If I do find a good donor car I will prob just sell my extras on here for what I have in them. I love my truck, had it almost 10 years, but 0-60 in 3 days gets old!
know which wire harness you have - the turbo is different than non-turbo (Turbo uses an MAF, n/a uses an AFM)
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM

I have one of each, both still with their ecu's. How has you trans handled the power. I know if I do a turbo I will need to step up my trans. I know Marlin makes a great one, but I would rather build it myself. I like doing manual transmissions.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 AM

When I bought my truck the trans was already shot so I installed a HD Marlin W56 trans right away and it's held up just fine (30k including 2 cross country trips with 3,500 lbs in the trailer behind it). It's not so much how much power you have as how you use that power that will kill a transmission - if you drive like a yahoo and try to shift like your driving something that's not a truck (or you think Fast N Furious was a good movie), then your trans may not like you for very long. Nice easy shifts and easing into the power will make the trans last much longer, the key is avoiding "shock loading" on the gears and bearings.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM

Hey Corax do you know what wire I need to tie into my starter signal?? On suracharged they say to use b1 (7) well I dont have that wire. It says to use a wire to let the ecu that you are starting the engine!

Quick Reply: 22RE -> 7MGE 3.0 L Supra