All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1JZ GTE VVT-i into 22R 84 Runner

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sprayed it with 2 coats of POR-15 and top coated it while still wet with a can of POR's rubberized undercoating and Duplicolors truck bed coating which i've had extremely good results with sticking to metal with minimal prep.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:07 PM

Name:  20130728_124015.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  109.4 KB
Finally got the body back on! Start mounting the fuel cell and running fuel lines and brake lines soon before I put the motor and tranny in
Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build so far! I have a VVTi 1JZ in my 95 4runner. I took the R154 and R150, put the 154 internals in the 150 case so I could use the proper input shaft for bellhousing. I had considered trying a 96+ transmission but never could verify if it'd work, knowing input shaft is longer but not sure if same as R154...did you do any measuring or verifying the input shaft length differences? Heck if works i'll keep my eyes open for a new tranny.

The engine is amazing, you'll love it. My only complaint is off idle torque BUT I'm using R154 gearset (4.56 diffs 33" tires), just a tad to tall sometimes in 1st gear or reverse.

Keep up the good work! Oh and by the way, we get 17 - 22 mpg...better than the 3slow it replaced LOL
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM

maybe clear this up for me,
you are using a standard 3.slow r150f transmission, and a r154 bell housing, and it mated to your 1JZ?

I thought there were issues with the shaft being the incorrect length?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM

i thought you had to use an input shaft off the r154 inside your r150f so that you could use the r154 bellhousing?

correct me if i'm missing something..
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by captainslow
maybe clear this up for me,
you are using a standard 3.slow r150f transmission, and a r154 bell housing, and it mated to your 1JZ?

I thought there were issues with the shaft being the incorrect length?
If you're asking me....yes there are issues with input shaft being correct length. I disassembled both r150 and r154, put the r154 gear set in the r150 case with r150 main shaft. That uses the R154 input shaft, and then obviously using the JZ bellhousing. Using the 150 mainshaft keeps the t-case provision.

Unfortunately you can't just swap the input shafts because the gear to the cluster shaft is different.

If you're asking the OP...sounds like he's using a 96+ R150 (3.4 5VZ). It's been wellknown the 96+ R150 has a longer input shaft but supposedly it's not the same as a R154.....but you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Sorry for the threadjack
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Gsolo is correct captslow. Before I started this build I spent atleast 6-8months reading up making sure everything could he done with very minimum custom parts. When something decides to break I wanyedvto be able to make a call and order or pull it out of a junkyard. So In my travels I came across a 97 tacoma on a supra forum. He left his stock trans in the truck pulled his 5vz out and dropped in a 2jz using the r154 bellhousing. He is the only one I've seen use this combo. I currently have my motor and tranny mated together and by looking through the inspection cover the input shaft looks spot on perfect. Although I have not got this far in my build yet to put it i m here yet. I will ne using a trailgear adapter to bolt my stock transfercase to the 3.4 trans
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 8784 runner
Although I have not got this far in my build yet to put it i m here yet. I will ne using a trailgear adapter to bolt my stock transfercase to the 3.4 trans
I saw that piece available on trail gear. looks like it could be great, instead of buying that piece couldn't you have used a different trans off a 5vz that already had a transfer case?

I have a r150f in a 1990, and was planning on keeping it to retain 4x4..
but if it works just finding a 96+ 4x4 trans off a 5vz sounds easier than swaping the internals of a r154 just to keep mine.

I guess it depends on how strong you want your trans to be. I don't plan on going crazy with HP, just keeping the stock vvti hp that it comes with. no bpu's or anything.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM

I've been using the newer ('96+) R150 behind a 7m with the R154 bellhousing for a few months now with no issues. The input shaft is a little under .25" longer, but all it did was push the pilot bearing back slightly further in its pocket. As long as the pilot bearing has room on a JZ, it should work fine. Sounds like you've already mated them up, so you're probably good to go.

I think this is a lot better option than running the R154 transmission with the R150 tail housing swapped onto it as some people have done. The lower truck gears really help these motors, they don't have a lot of low end torque.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM

I saw that piece available on trail gear. looks like it could be great, instead of buying that piece couldn't you have used a different trans off a 5vz that already had a transfer case?
The 5vz trucks all had a driver's side drop transfer case. After some discussion with Marlin, it sounds like an adapter is the only way to get a passenger side drop behind the newer R150.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by egesledder
The 5vz trucks all had a driver's side drop transfer case. After some discussion with Marlin, it sounds like an adapter is the only way to get a passenger side drop behind the newer R150.
Umm No, T100 Is PassengerDrop too. SoHopefully T100 5Vz Uses TheRight Input. Marlin Adapter Though LetsYou UseA Gear Driven Tcase IfYou Feel You NeedOne. FoR The Record, TypingOn My Phone Sucks
Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM

I didn't want to use the taco trans simply cause then I would of opend up the can of worms with what axle and what kind of setup. I have a bad enough time with choices figuring which one works best for what I want. With the adap on the trans everything bolts up and the axle is one less thing to figure and lol one less piece to spend money on.....I'am how ever expecting to half to rebuild mine. I pulled the drain plug out and about 4oz of clear water came out followed by a brown rustic color gear oil. I did come from a junkyard so who know how long they had it sitting outside. ha just gonna fill it flush it a couple times the first month and run it to till it goes.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM

I thnk next time I see a 5vz t100 I'll measure the bellhousing and see. Otherwise maybe a taco or 3rd gen runner transmission with an adapter is in my future...i keep thinking a 4.7 tcase would be cool

I have a nagging fear of my transmission having an issue and i'm stuck sourcing R154 (expensive) parts.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gsolo
I thnk next time I see a 5vz t100 I'll measure the bellhousing and see. Otherwise maybe a taco or 3rd gen runner transmission with an adapter is in my future...i keep thinking a 4.7 tcase would be cool

I have a nagging fear of my transmission having an issue and i'm stuck sourcing R154 (expensive) parts.
Measure it, I'd be interested to know. I'd forgot about the T100. If it has the same input shaft length and tail housing design as the tacoma (i.e. same transmission), maybe it would be possible to just use the T100 transfer case??

Going the adapter route opens more possibilities for future mods though. And with a project like this, what's a little extra cost, right? I don't even keep track of my project costs anymore, it scares me... haha
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Measure it, I'd be interested to know. I'd forgot about the T100. If it has the same input shaft length and tail housing design as the tacoma (i.e. same transmission), maybe it would be possible to just use the T100 transfer case??

Going the adapter route opens more possibilities for future mods though. And with a project like this, what's a little extra cost, right? I don't even keep track of my project costs anymore, it scares me... haha
Just checked part numbers, all the 5VZ R150F had the same input shaft. And all R150F (3vz and 5vz) had the same counter shaft...so with that knowledge you could simply swap the input from a 5VZ.

I don't know why didn't think of it before

I like the R154 gearset, it has perfect ratio changes...but for a truck it's just a little to tall. Although 5th gear is PERFECT on the freeway
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 AM

haha you couldn't be more correct. If I knew how much this project was really gonna cost me no way would I have still done it. lol I could of completed just a 2.7 3rz with a turbo and still have a couple grand left over at this point
Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 AM

also if anyone scrolling through here is interested in my Landcruiser on the prev page let me know. Its gonna be going on ebay in the next week or two.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gsolo
I like the R154 gearset, it has perfect ratio changes...but for a truck it's just a little to tall. Although 5th gear is PERFECT on the freeway
so then what do you think is better for 300hp in a 4x4? the 96+ 150f input shaft or the R154? I think to me highway miles is a little better than low burnouts... but hey... who doesn't want to smoke all 4 tires at once ken block style!

Originally Posted by 8784 runner
also if anyone scrolling through here is interested in my Landcruiser on the prev page let me know. Its gonna be going on ebay in the next week or two.
PM me what you are thinking. I'm interested.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Name:  20130813_173256.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  316.3 KB
So I half to get some tig welding done on my fuel cell to get to hide in the back the way I want it to. Im actually pretty anxcious for it. I know how im gonna mount and pretty sure Ill be able to make it look pretty good in the back. So in the mean time started working on the rear disc conv. The axle I had was from my brothers 87 pickup that his wife wrecked years ago. The drums were rusted soild to the pads so the eaisiest way I thought get'em off was with a sledge. seeings how there only cast a couple swings on each axle and they fell off.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:55 PM

so then what do you think is better for 300hp in a 4x4? the 96+ 150f input shaft or the R154? I think to me highway miles is a little better than low burnouts... but hey... who doesn't want to smoke all 4 tires at once ken block style!
So the gearing issue comes down to what you're wanting to do with the truck. Yea, these motors can make big V8 power, but they are gutless down low. Like seriously gutless compared to an actual truck motor. On boost, its a totally different story, but that's not where you'll be wheeling or even driving around town. I think the R154 gears would do well on a 2wd, lightweight pickup, but with a lifted 4wd and big tires, the R150 gears really help.

With my 7mgte, the R150 + 4.56 gears + 35" tires seems to do pretty well on the highway and offroad. Now, if you could swap in the R154 5th gear and run the R150 1st/2nd/3rd, that would be a nice combo.

Also, lets see some pictures of that fuel cell!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1JZ GTE VVT-i into 22R 84 Runner