All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

03 toyota echo engine swap, will not turn over!...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 toyota echo engine swap, will not turn over!...

could someone please direct me where to find guidance. i just swapped out my 1.5L engine in my toyota echo i know the engine i replaced it with runs. but now that i have it in the car it will not budge not even if i try turning the crank bolt manually, i have never replaced this type of engine i did however only put one, maybe two, fly wheel bolts in as i was expecting to be able to rotate the crank bolt to finish installing them later..... perhaps that was my fail..???
Old 12-21-2015, 12:38 PM

ok so after last night, I went back in my garage loosened all the bell housing bolts and was able to turn the crank bolt and installed all of the fly whee bolts after tightening up two of the bell housiing bolts i decided to try and turn the engine by manually cranking on the crank bolt and NOTHING! What is goin on ? anybody have any thoughts ????
Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 PM

ok, after installing all the flywheel bolts i tighten down the bell housing bolts while spining the crank manually little by little as i noticed the tighter the bell housing bolts got the more difficult the engine was to turn now it is all put back together and the starter can barely turn the engine????? loosening the bell housing bolts helps but not enough to fully crank the engine??
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 AM

First of all, nobody will see this here. This is the completely wrong section to be posting this. Also, we don't really deal with cars on here, but someone will probably be able to help.
Is it automatic or manual?
Check that there isn't something in the end of the crank that shouldn't be there.
If it's a manual, make sure the pilot bearing is the correct depth and that there isn't something behind if stopping the shaft from seating all the way.
If it's an automatic and your car is automatic, make sure there isn't a bushing in the new crank for the torque converter to go into if the torque converters were slightly different. Jeep did this to us once, took forever to figure out.
Basically, you're pushing the two together without having enough room for the parts to fit together it sounds like and it's binding hard.

With the transmission loosened can the starter turn the engine over?
Is the transmission in neutral?
Is the engine from the same year? Is the trans input shaft the same length for those years?
The transmission should pretty much sit right up against the block without needing the bolts to pull them together. When you tighten the bolts does it feel tight before the transmission contacts the block?