3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Tachometer: lost like a ball in high weeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tachometer: lost like a ball in high weeds

First gen 4Runner (original owner!). I have the motor in, nearly everything working except the tach. I have searched and read and looked at pictures and maybe I'm just dense, but I havent yet found a good clear explanation of what I have to do to make the 3.4 drive the old 22RE tach, if it is possible to do so. The 3.4 is from a 2000 Taco, with 3 ignition coils. Im not afraid to solder on a circuit board, but I can't seem to get clarity on what to solder where, and how to connect it to the new ECU. Can someone point me at how to make the old tach work?

Side note - my 4Runner did not come stock with a tach. I added a SR5 instrument cluster avout 20 years ago, and the tach did not work. I had to locate the tach lead in the connector and run a single wire to the 22RE coil to get it to work in its original form. Apparently some of the early non-SR5 trucks had wiring that did not support a tach, even though the wire appeared to be there in the cluster connector. So I may hafta run some specific wiring to make this work with the 3.4.

thanks....
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM

You don't go to the coils, go to the ingiter should be a black wire. bring it to the ih2-20. connector/pin. After you'ver added the resistor of course.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by -burzum-
After you'ver added the resistor of course.
That's my problem, what resistor, and where does it go?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I used for reference when I did my tach mod. It's a 10k ohm resistor
Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is where I traced the tach wire back into the cab to find the tach wire in the body harness under the dash.