3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Exhaust crossover issue in 92 Toyota RV motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust crossover issue in 92 Toyota RV motorhome

Alright guys, onto the final boss of my 3.4L swap, heres a pic of her sitting my in my 1992 Toyota Itasca, originally had the 3VZE, i yanked it out and put a motor from a 1996 T100 in her place.
Exhaust crossover issue in 92 Toyota RV motorhome-aevjb9o.jpg

Problem: I used the off-road conversions crossover exhaust pipe, this crossover pipe drops right down on top of our shift linkage on the driver side, so it has to move or we have to re-work the linkage around it. H

Looking closer at it today we've determined if I can get this pipe to bend about 2 inches towards the passenger side we can clear the linkage and drop right into a nice spot to run the rest of the exhaust.

Issue is, how can we bend this 2.5 inch mild steel pipe with it still in the truck? I sure as hell don't want to take the motor back out to do it... heres the part of x-over we need to bend
Exhaust crossover issue in 92 Toyota RV motorhome-8ow1i7c.png

Talked to a few exhaust places today around town who said they might be able to heat it and bend it but it might crimp a bit, also might be able to chop it off further up and put another pipe on it that could route around the linkage. It's pretty damn tight in there.

What do you guys think? Shot of it hitting the linkage

Got a bunch of heat shield on the way to protect my wiring, got a little toasty on the test drive :-o

Last edited by defrag4; 06-06-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Myself I think it might be easier to reconfigure the shift linkage.

Then you can only see so much from pictures .

I am guessing your fuel tank is on the right side so the exhaust needs to be on the left

Then this swap is no where close to what one does most of the time .

That is why your having issues with things not fitting

Your not doing things right if the engine has not been in and out at least 10 times for fitting of different things and measurements

Might also be the T100 Curse !!!!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Its not that hard to cut the pipe, cut it again at a bit of an angle, weld the two pieces back together without the small slice you just removed, repeat. I had to do that 5 or 6 times to get it right. Each time just tac-weld the pieces together with two little tacs so you can easily undo what you just did, but it needs to be enough to hold it together for mock-up fit. Sometimes, you need to cut the little slice out and rotate, tac back in etc.
Yes, I must have set and removed the engine a/l 7 times getting the x-over pipe mocked up. Once we had it right, we removed it all and then finish welded it.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 AM

FYI in the end I had to have some custom shift linkage fabbed up by a local shop, its kind of janky and I cant shift into L anymore, but at least I can get from P to D without having to crawl under the truck and shift by hand!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so how does this bad boy do now with the 3.4? gotta be a whole new animal