3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.

Hey there,

Im doing a swap on my 94 Surf 4Runner tring to use the stock A343H auto. I only know of one other Aussie swap but that was with a manual transmission.
A bit of background info : The engine is out of a manual 2004 Hilux with 82000 km (50000 mile). The oil pan was exactly the same as my 4Runner so that didnt need changing. The dipstick was also in the middle so that didnt need modification. The engine mounts were the same too so I used the newer 5vz ones. So basically I didnt need to do f-all to the engine before I dropped it in. (did the plugs, leads, water pump, and timing belt anyway)
I got an automatic engine loom and ECU from a 99 5vz a340f Landcruiser Prado (with immobiliser) and the cruise control unit and cruise ecu. So everything is installed and ready to go.
Now the Wiring. I have identified all the prado wires and almost all of the 4Runner IG2 and IG3 wires (In Australia Toyota doesnt have to share Info. so getting the right diagrams can be a pain in the arse) Now Im up to the stage of joining the wires together for my adapter harness.

1st Question, can someone please tell me how they wired up the A340h transmission. I have all the plugs for both vehicles. What plugs are or arent used? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2nd Question, How do I get the ADD working? Ive searched this forum and know its been done but cant find out how it was done.

3rd Question, does anyone have a (pinout ??) of the body harness plugs IG2 & IG3. Ive been going off the 90 - 95 IH1 and IH2 plug wiring diagrams.

And last, is there any problems I might find using the 5vz cruise control.

Any other info or tips that you may have will be most welcome
Thanks,
Adam

Ps. This site has been an awesome source of information. Before I found YotaTech I was contemplating a 1UZ swap (too expensive). will post pics soon.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First welcome

Second You can find all the wiring diagrams (along with pinouts for those plugs) by either going to toyota and hopefully they could print them off for you or you can try techinfo.toyota.com its a pay site but its like $10 a day and it has mounth to year subscriptions (well worth it to get every diagram for both rigs).

Do you know about the tack mod yet? (just out of curiosity)

Why do you want the auto tranny? should just throw in the more fun manual just IMO

Search a little more in the motor swap section of this forum and you should be able to find alot of these and other questions either answered or being discussed.

Good luck and hope to see lots of pics

Old 06-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilko76
Hey there,
I got an automatic engine loom and ECU from a 99 5vz a340f Landcruiser Prado (with immobiliser) and the cruise control unit and cruise ecu. So everything is installed and ready to go.
Have you changed out the sensors and all the electronics on your block to match that 99 harness? IE using all 99 electronics and sensors cause that ecu may freak out leaving your truck an electrical nightmare and not run if you kept the 04 stuff
Old 06-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies,
I havent done the tach mod yet , I will be doing it tomorrow. Does it matter what 10k ohm resistor you use ( 1w, 2w etc) has anyone done a write up of this or is it as easy as it looks?
Im keeping the auto atm cause funds are short.
Toyota are bastards over here and wont give you diagrams. Also the Surf is a "grey import" so you get less help. I wasnt sure if techinfo.toyota.com has Aus. spec vehicles or just US.

No I havent changed any of the sensors and all the electronics on the block I just changed looms and the oil pressure unit. I was told it would be ok. What things do you think I will need to change?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

This may help in your efforts. They have a large variety of manuals.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Ok, got most of the adaptor harness wired up but Im still trying to figure out a few things:
No1: still trying to figure out how to wire up the ADD properly
No2: still havent figured out the AC but not that worried right now
No3: Still trying to wire up the auto tranny. Have changed the park/ neutral plug over. Will try and sort the rest of the plugs tomorrow.

Can anyone shed some light on any of these issues for me please. Have searched my ass off and havent found any info yet. People get stuff done with help from others on this forum, but never really post the resulution.
Cheers,
Adam.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM

i think i used a 1/4 watt resistor.....but i also bought 1/2 watt....when you crack the tach open you will see other resistors.....just use the one that's similar in size to those.....im pretty sure its 1/4 watt....they are pretty small....
Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 PM

you will need the seloniod wiring harness from a 340f to replace the one in the 340h. Then the 99 engine harness will then plug right into the trans selonoid harness.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
you will need the seloniod wiring harness from a 340f to replace the one in the 340h. Then the 99 engine harness will then plug right into the trans selonoid harness.

! I wish I knew this on the 18th. Ive already spliced the wires from the 99 harness to the A340h harness. Did I stuff up or what?
What we did was repin the 99 park/neutral plug with the 340h plug . Then joined the rest of the wires on the 99 auto harness to the corresponding 340h wires just before the two plugs next to park/neut plug that go to the rest of the 340h solenoids and sensors etc.
We didnt wire up no.4 solenoid cause the 99 didnt have it or the rear temp sender.
Will this work or not?
I have searched for months on this. Ive scrolled thru all of BAMF_CT2004 and THE FALLMANs and other members posts who used the 340h trying to find a mention of how the 340h was wired up but have found nothing useful.
I should have just PMed THE FALLMAN or BAMF_CT2004 and begged for some info before I screwed it up.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 AM

you should be fine as long as you have everything wired correctly. You cant wire up the number 4 solenoid. That is for that transfer case. I have yet to check with thefallman since he helped me significantly with my swap but, one thing I have noticed is that I cannot shift into 4lo with the truck running. 4hi is not a problem but not for lo. So if I want 4lo I have to turn the truck off, shift into 4lo and then turn the truck on and bingo, 4lo. Im not sure if he ever noticed that. Im pretty sure that if I wanted to I could hook that solenoid up to a switch and the problem would probably be solved.

All in all using the 340h is nice if you are on a budget and has worked well for me. But the linkage is getting on my nevers with the h. It like to pop out every now and then when I really need it. I had to redo the linkage since I broke the pivot thing off the rear of the tailhousing for the 4wheel linkage.

I was able to get my hands on a 4 cylinder with turbo transfer case. So eventually I will be put in the f trans with a gear driven tcase on the back. For the h I would recommend and aux trans cooler and an aftermarket temp sensor while you have it out
Old 07-20-2009, 02:36 PM

OK, havent had much time lately to finish off due to a new addition to the family, but Im almost done. Now the bug hunt begins!
It starts and then dies a few seconds later most of the time. Sometimes it will stay running but it will die when I try to give it some throttle. I can hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds after it dies.
If I unplug the MAF it will start and run and drive. The MAF tests up alright. I can borrow a MAF soon to make sure thats not it. It is throwing codes 31(MAF) and 24(Airtemp) ( sorry, no OBD2 connectors in OZ until 2004 or something like that )
I have checked all vac lines and checked for air leaks by spraying CRC around every connection, hose etc (RPM didnt change)
Ive checked grounds but am unsure as to all their locations. Ive got one from the plenum to the firewall, one from the loom near injectors/ coils to the firewall, one at the diag. plug to the plenum, and one on the block.
How does the ECU get ground? By mounting it?
Any ideas on what to check will be most appreciated
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put your hand in front of the maf, blocking 90% of it and see it it keeps running.
Also, let us know what happens when you change over maf's.

I have identical issues and it will run with the maf blocked. I have yet to check with ether or CRC but I have pictures that show all my vac connections are good.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 PM

[quote=UKrunner;51186704]Put your hand in front of the maf, blocking 90% of it and see it it keeps running.
Also, let us know what happens when you change over maf's.

Cool, I will try that.
I just have to do a bit more testing to try and find out what it is doing. Im gonna check voltages on the MAF wires and see if it spikes or anything when it starts and then stalls. The last thing I wanna do is fk up the borrowed MAF so I need to be certain its not doing anything weird. Ive got Thursday arvo off work to play around with it so Ill update more on Friday.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 AM

Alright, Finally got some time today to do a bit of testing.
First, re-tested continuity of all the wires on the MAF, igniters, IAC, TPS etc. all was ok.
Second, tested MAF and igniters as per FSM (only the tests that didnt require an OBD2 scanner) voltages, resistances etc. were all ok.
Third, borrowed a MAF from a friendly neighbour up the road, didnt change anything.
I was still getting codes 14, 24 and 31 (ignigter, airtemp and MAF) from the check engine light.
What got me thinking was , I cleared the codes then out of curiosity turned the key back on, the Fn codes came back with out even trying to start it. That made me think if the continuity checked out it must be the ecu or ecu plugs.
A couple of nights ago I was stuffing around with the MAF and Igniter plugs taking out the wires from the back and checking them out and I just happened to test one of the little connectors or terminals on the wires on the pins on the MAF and it was as loose as Fk. There was not much resistance at all when I pushed it on, so I got a tiny(tiny) screwdriver and pushed the little metal strip or "flap" down so it made much better contact when pushed on. I repeated this for all the wires (fiddly and time consuming, but I was trying any and everything)
I thought this may also be the case with the ecu plugs so I pushed the wires on the back of the ecu a bit while tring to start it and the Fker fired up and kept running. Moved the wires a bit more and it died. There is a "clip" on the bottom of the ecu plugs that u can dislodge and then remove the pins/wires. Pushed the little contact tabs down on the igniter signal and Maf wires and all is good. Took it for a test run and then dropped it of at the exhaust shop. Ill get it back tomorrow.
Now, looks like Ill spend some time on the weekend removing all the wires from the ecu plugs and fixing them up. Dont want to be stuck on the side of the road somewhere because of a loose Fn connection.
I think one reason for this may be due to sticking the probes from the meters in and out of the plugs while we were making the conversion harness and also checking and double checking continuity of the wires for everything cause we were unsure of the wiring diagrams, and just wanted to make sure.
Big thanks to APK (Paul) for help with the wiring.
Anyway, hope my crappy experience helps someone else pinpoint their problems sooner.(just cause youve got continuity from point to point doesnt always mean its ok)
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 AM

Just thought I'd add this info too. I already had extractors (headers) on the 3.0 but couldnt afford some for the 3.4 and I dont like the restriction of the crossover, not to mention the hassle of changing it if I ever needed to. So this is what we came up with.
Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-081.jpg
Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-083.jpg

Not as good as extractors, but much better than the crossover. the exhaust pipes will go down either side and meet after the tranny.
Heres the install in progress
Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-057.jpg

Ill post some more later . One of the bonnet scoop too.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Its been running for 1 week now and Im very impressed with the new engine. It was idling high at first but now its idling very low when I first start it. Might change the ISC valve and see what happens.
Ive done about 150km so far and still havent had a CEL for the speed sensor. This should have popped up by now, right? I might be lucky.
The auto seems to change the same as before except it hangs onto gears a bit longer at full noise.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 AM

Just a quick update. The Surf is still running great. Seems to be shifting much better since I adjusted the kickback cable up a bit more.
Anyway heres some pics of the engine bay setup.

Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-117m.jpg

Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-119m.jpg

Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-120m.jpg
Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 AM

And heres the bonnet scoop. Both the scoop and bonnet will get painted as soon as it gets a bit warmer here.[ATTACH]Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-131m.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Aussie 5vz 340h auto swap. Need wiring help please.-picture-130m.jpg