3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 Swap, Red 1990 SR5

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 3.4 Swap, Red 1990 SR5

Hey all.

First post as I recently got my 1990 4Runner. Hoping to eventually use as an adventure/ alpine climbing expedition base
Bought it for 5k with a rebuilt motor but turns out the 3vz is no good (egg cylinder) and I may as well use the labor warranty from the shop I bought it from to get a better engine in there.
Looking at 5vz's between 1k-3k, from something in a yard w/ accessories and whole donor vehicle, to the higher end rebuilt or remanufactured which is mostly just the block...
Was gonna buy the wiring harness from ORS, oil pan sink kit and crossover and then try to work the exhaust from there.

5k was maybe a bit much (170k on body) but I want to get this thing roaring again since its a manual

I am hoping to just cut the supports on the underside of the hood so as not to lift (I love the super stock look)
Questions:
-If I cannot make enough space by cutting the underhood supports, can I lift after the engine is in/Running?
-If so, can I just add ball joint spacers only in the front to get it home with the hood on, before doing the more time consuming rear lift (with springs, etc.)?
-What's your 02$ whether used from a yard vs rebuilt vs remanufactured as far as the 3.4?

Thanks a lot for the help, from Oregon!

Last edited by HeartMind; 01-22-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:58 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Suspension lift will do nothing for the taller engine, you''d need a body lift.
I'd get a JDM engine with low miles, then find a vehicle to scavenge parts from at a local yard. I don't trust junkyard lumps unless i am going to rebuild it anyhow. Remanned engine isn't remanned with OEM parts, let alone in Japan, so quality of build my very buy reman company...just my opnion.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 PM

Okay seems I must be confused about the lift. Do the ball joint spacers only lift the suspension?
I appreciate the input about the jdm, as in used, imported from japan? I got a quote for about 1200 with 6 month warranty for one of those shipped from Cali.
Anyone know if the 1990 version is susceptible to cutting the supports for enough engine clearance? Id rather not worry about lifting to mess with all the lines, but maybe 1" will give the engine clearance without disturbing the rest of the guts?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:34 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
You are asking if the ball joints spacers lift the suspension.... do you know what ball joints are?

Forget about the supports in the hood for now, that is the least of your worries. Install the engine, then fit the hood last. Drive it home without a hood if you have too. Then body lift or hood scoop if necessary.

There are literally hundreds of threads on the inter-webs that detail all the issues with adding the 5VZ mill to an older rig, you need to do lots more reading and understanding the parts of the vehicle.
OR take it to a shop, tell them you want a 5VZ engine swapped in, and then get your check book out when you pick it up in a month or so.

You are in Oregon, i can't believe there isn't a JDM importer closer and cheaper then shipment from Cali.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when I did my swap, i bought a T100 for 1200 bucks, I had everything i needed. Then sold the trans from the T100 for 400 bucks. I tore the engine down and fully rebuilt it. new bearing, rings, gaskets, hoses. water pump, oil pump, etc. prob cost me 700 in parts but now I know the history on my engine. I did the wiring so i know all my color codes. It really wasnt difficult. I got all the help from this forum. and I passed CA SMOG
Old 01-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help so far you guys. I bought this Runner from a shop that had rebuilt the 3VZ, but after 3 times taking it back to figure out an oil leak, they found one of the cylinders was misshapen. Hence why I am just getting the parts together for the 5vz swap for them to install.
I found a jdm engine for 1200$ from a local importer with a 6 month warranty. He claims there is about 38k on the engine but who the hell knows.
There doesn't seem to be any way to find out what year the engine was manf. but maybe this doesn't matter. From the reading on here that I've done it looks like I just need to get a matched ECU and Sensors from a yard, but it doesn't matter if they are the same year as the engine. I'm going to be going with the ORS harness so I just need to grab the computer before I put in for the conversion harness.

1.Can someone confirm that it doesn't matter what year the engine is when marrying it to an 5VZ ECU?
2. When I go to the yard to get the ECU, what else should grab? Sounds like there are 2 O2 sensors that I need. Anything else?

Thanks a million
Old 01-30-2018, 02:52 PM

it doesnt matter what 5VZ you get. just have all the correct sensors for the ECU that you plan on using.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I haven't seen any mention of the exhaust crossover (it needs to be custom built). Did the shop give you a quote for the swap? I am going the route of a complete donor T100, I picked it up for $900 and it came with another motor in the bed. It runs and drives but knocks, so I know all of the sensors wiring and ECU work. I figure I'll be able to sell my running 3.0 when I get around to doing the swap and if I can part out the T100 I may end up with a really cheap swap (except I am fully rebuilding the second motor first). Good luck with the shop, it is likely to cost you a pretty penny!
Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Also of note: Japanese exhaust manifolds are different than their US counterparts. You may find other areas that aren't exactly the same.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 AM

I got the crossover from yota shop (Custom Xover). But Irab gets +1, as I found out today, the manifolds arent quite a match to the custom pipe... Now looking for some 1995-2001 OEM manifolds that its designed to fit... its 400$ for the new pair on Yota Shop
I got it from a japanese wholesale importer here in Portland with a 6 month warranty for 1200 and the guy claims it only has 37k on it (for what its worth)

The other major hurdle I just realized is that the engine harness has been cut so close to the block it would be a pain in the ass to splice...
Anyone have 3.4 cents as to whether to grab one from a yard when I get the ECU and sensors or find one on ebay? I assume I need to find the year of my engine to get a harness that matches??
The thing is that I really only need the engine harness for marrying into the ORS harness, so maybe it would be worth it to just wire it?

Took the engine to the shop that will be putting it in. One of the cylinders is misshapen in the 3.0 but hopefully I can get something for parting it out.

Last edited by dropzone; 02-19-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Well looks like I need to replace the wiring harness so I'm trying to get a matched set of ECU, Harness and 02 sensors. The question is, as long as these match, will they work with any year 5vz? or do I need to match them to the engine year?
Does anyone know of any way to identify what year the engine was manufactured based on the serial number or identifying changes that would hint at the year it was made?

Are there any major changes to the engine wiring harness or would one from 98 (for example) work for any year engine?

Thanks again. Looking at about 3200$ for parts if there arent any more major hang ups, Labor is free since the shop installed a bad 3vz originally (hence my swap),

Last edited by HeartMind; 02-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM

again, find a harness for the ECU you plan on using. it will still need to be opened up. I had to use parts of my original harness because I was 4WD and my doner wasnt. you also need to de-pin the dash harness connections and then re-pin them with the original connectors.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 PM

Thanks smaay, I will hope to find a 5 speed 4wd. It appears that I need an ecu that wants an EGR valve and a drive by cable? Sounds like the 2002 engine used a drive by wire so I can rule that out. I'm guessing 2003 then since the EGR is newer on the 5vz run? Maybe a 2000 ECU and harness would be a good bet too? If anyone can help identify the year of this engine that would be super helpful. Pics of the throttle body attached.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM

the pics cant help, i suggest a 1995 T100. It does not have an EGR. my manifolds have a OEM block off plate where the EGR would be. the engine can be any year, you just need the right sensors and ECU.