3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1995 4runner with freshly Swapped 3.4 Has Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 4runner with freshly Swapped 3.4 Has Engine Tick

Hello,
So I am just about finished with a 3.4 swap going into a 1995 4runner using the A340H. The donor was a 1996 T100 auto 2WD that had 160,xxx miles on the OD. Before I installed the engine I swapped the pan (no metal noted) and performed timing belt job with water pump, spark plugs, & wires. I was actually really impressed how clean the engine was. Everything went fairly smooth except for missing one wire when making the conversion harness, and the fact that my oil pressure gauge is not accurate as it shows no oil pressure, but still has 60 psi on start up.
So now for the problem that is still haunting me. (So maybe things haven't gone so smooth after all!) The engine has a tick. It sounds like it is being produce from the area of cylinders 1 or 3 (passenger front). It does not go away after it's been run and is hot. The timing of the tick sound valve related as it's to slow for piston???
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kro3oxjfhe...30786.mp4?dl=0
What I've done to date is the following;
*I have unplugged injectors.
*Removed spark plugs wires one at a time to eliminate one cylinder.
*Remove valve cover and inspected that the cam shaft had been installed correctly with the service bolt (the hole lined up with the threads).
*Scoped the cylinder and the valves look to be in good shape and no scoring on the cylinder walls, (there are some noticeable ring ridges on the cylinder walls but nothing I thought unusual for 160,xxx miles.),
*Felt for an exhaust leak with my hand but saw no evidence of a leak (might do more of an inspection for and exhaust leak later).
*Check clearance on valves (the intake valves on #1 were just a little, loose maybe .002 out of spec didn't think that amount would cause that loud of a tick!)
*Checked for leaking spark plugs and proper torque.
*Pulled kick down cable to check for a change with none noted
And now I am to the point where I don't want to tear it all apart after I just got it going! I still have 1 month of warranty left on the engine from the yard I bought it from (B&R wrecking) I want it to be fixed but if it's not going to cause long term damage I would like to run her for a few months as is. Thoughts would be appreciated! And thanks for spending the time reading through that lengthy post.

Last edited by flaming_flyer; 07-11-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:20 PM

Anybody have any ideas? Also this is my first time post to Yotatech, should I move this to a different thread?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Did you hear the engine run prior to installing it?
and give it time for people to respond
Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 PM

I do wish that I had heard it running before they yanked it out, but I didn't.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 PM

There's a lot going on on the passenger side. Are you sure it's coming from the head or is it possible it's coming from the timing system or one of the PS accessories? I also kind of doubt it's the low end - they're pretty solid and when they go bad, they aren't quiet about it. It could be a sparking coil pack, but it would be the same speed as the pistons, not the valves, and I think you'd notice the engine running rough. Other than that, I'm trying to think of anything that could be causing a tick. My money would be on something in your timing chain such as a noisy idler bearing, or possibly the water pump.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Turns out it was a valve ticking and had a .30 gap. None of the Toyota shims were large enough so I installed a stainless steel shim (manufactured from what I could find in the scrap bin) underneath the original shim, The bucket is tall enough to keep it in place. No more tick.