3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1990 toyota pickup v6 manual receiving 2000 4runner v6 manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 toyota pickup v6 manual receiving 2000 4runner v6 manual

Hello Everyone!
I have recently completely changed gears on my engine swap. last month i switch from a 1uzfe to the 5vzfe. sold the v8 and bought a 2001 4runner with 50,000 miles that had the v6 and 5speed manual. so heres where im at...

-I've swapped out engine mounts and oil pans.
-installed engine, tranny, transfercase.
-Started my exhuast. ( running down the passenger side )
- got my a/c and powersteering lines hooked up.

so here's whats left to do..

- reroute the fuel lines away from the exhuast.
- hook up all the emissions crap.
- finish my exhuast
- and of course do the wiring.

Now the wiring is my biggest fear, so ive saved it for last and now its time to do it. so i was wondering if anyone out there has done the 3.4 swap using the manual transmission from both vehicles. ( i mean both trucks having manual transmissons) i have heard that this is supposed to make my life a WHOLE lot easier but im not 100% sure.

Another thing i did was when i pulled the engine/transmission/transfercase from the 4runner is i kept the original tranny from the 3.4 attached to the engine and just swapped my transfercase. im hoping this will eliminate some wiring.

any input that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
swapped tranfer case

You say that you swapped the transfer case from the 90 R150 manual to the 2001 R150(?) manual? Was this a direct swap, no adapters or anything? I was under the impression that it required an adapter to do this. If this is a straight forward swap, please let me know, I have one that I want to do the same thing with.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ride4Fun
You say that you swapped the transfer case from the 90 R150 manual to the 2001 R150(?) manual? Was this a direct swap, no adapters or anything? I was under the impression that it required an adapter to do this. If this is a straight forward swap, please let me know, I have one that I want to do the same thing with.
well what i did is pretty simple... well i pulled the 3.4 from the 4runner i pulled the engine/tranny/transfercase all in one simple pull and set it down next to the lexus v8 with my old 5speed and transfercase. i already knew that they were bothe the r150f and wondered what was different between the two besides the transfercase. heres what i found...

1. the transmission is three peices. Which i already new due to the attempted v8 swap.
2. The tail-housing is different. ( i dont know if this is what it is called but thats what ive decided to call it!.)( this is the last piece.)
3. Bellhousing is different. I already knew this but it is exactly .75" longer then the 1990 r150.

So heres what i did..

- i disconnected the transfer case of both trannys.
- at this point it is 150% clear that the tail-housing are different.
- i decided to dig deeper into the tranny and i disconnect both tail-housing.
- eureaka!!! the guts of the r150f are the same... well almost lol
- the newer tranny has different oil ports annd a updated shifting mechanism thingy.( slides in the same as the 1990 just a little different.)
- so i swapped tail-housing and the shifting lever thingy ( it attaches to the tail-housing and transfers what you do to the shifter to the inside of the tranny)
- everything bolted back together perfectly.
- i had to shorten my driveline 1" to accomondate the newer tranny.

So now everything is back together and it shifts fine. im not 100% yet cause its not moving but when i put it back in before the driveshafts were connected i could put it in gear and it wouldnt turn but when i pushed the clutch it turned fine. both in 2wd and 4wd. so im hoping for the best!!!

so now i just need the wiring done and thats why i posted this thread so i can figure out if anyone has any ideas for the wiring.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Wrecked 4runner

Engine Still in 4runner

Well she Fits!!!!

Top Veiw showing some vaccum lines. i have over 250 photos of the 4runner before i dissassemboled it.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM

didnt get much done today... it was 111 here in phoenix today so i didnt feel like spending all day in the heat... however i did get my driveshafts back and are installed, and i started on the emmissions today...

i still need to find the lower radiator hose and wanted to know if anyone out there knows a part number????

i'll post some more updated pics tommorrow once i get off work
Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM

almost done with the swap... but having some wiring troubles...
i dont have power to fuel pump or efi??? and suggestions on what i might of screwed up???
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotah4x4
didnt get much done today... it was 111 here in phoenix today so i didnt feel like spending all day in the heat... however i did get my driveshafts back and are installed, and i started on the emmissions today...

i still need to find the lower radiator hose and wanted to know if anyone out there knows a part number????

i'll post some more updated pics tommorrow once i get off work
If you use the stock 3.0 thermostat cover, you can use an off the shelf lower hose from Napa or where ever.

Originally Posted by toyotah4x4
almost done with the swap... but having some wiring troubles...
i dont have power to fuel pump or efi??? and suggestions on what i might of screwed up???
Most likely you do not have the white/blue (W-L) wire hooked up to ignition power. It power most everything including the fuel pump relay (COR) and the EFI stuff. In the stock 3.0 harness in the kick panel there is a white/red (W_R) wire that it mates to. The W-R is the power feed from the EFI relay in the fuse panel so its ready to go. Just connect then and you should be good.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
If you use the stock 3.0 thermostat cover, you can use an off the shelf lower hose from Napa or where ever.

Most likely you do not have the white/blue (W-L) wire hooked up to ignition power. It power most everything including the fuel pump relay (COR) and the EFI stuff. In the stock 3.0 harness in the kick panel there is a white/red (W_R) wire that it mates to. The W-R is the power feed from the EFI relay in the fuse panel so its ready to go. Just connect then and you should be good.
that was it!!! i got it right as i recieved your message lol. so she fires right and idles super smooth!!! but after my first test drive i noticed that gas was pouring out of the emissons box on the driver fender. im pretty sure when i did the fuel lines i swapped the return and vent. so now i gotta fix that before emissions!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I almost did this once; swap the return and vent.

You can change it next to the tank where the hard lines curve over and go to rubber. It's a little easier there.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 PM

ok so everything is done and she idles great!!! but when you give it 1/4 throttle or more it sputters... but if you go easy on the throttle shee sounds great with a ton of power!!! what should i do!!!!