YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Repair Archives (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   removing tint (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f16/removing-tint-36547/)

needayota 07-13-2004 01:38 PM

removing tint

hey all,

im trying to remove the tint on my runner and i dont want a shop to do it due to the fact that they charge outragous prices.
how do i go about doing this on my own?

NX Tacoma 07-13-2004 01:49 PM

It take forever but the best way is a razor blade and adhesive remover. That's why they charge so much, it's harder to remove the tint then putting it on!

Bob_98SR5 07-13-2004 01:51 PM

needayota,

is it on the front window? if so, the easiest way is to tape a garbage bag aroudn the window and then spray 409 in there. it loosens the film adhesive. wait 15-30 minutes and then repeat at least one more time.

it should just peel right off in a long sheet. if not, it will come off in two sheets ;)

have a scraper ready with plenty of razor blades.

if you're working on any areas with heater lines, do not use the razor blades.

bob

edit: oh yeah, leave it out in the sun like the poster below said

Jantha 07-13-2004 02:47 PM

1. put a black garbage back on the outside of the window (you may have to tape a few together). using a razor blade, cut the bag to fit the shape of the window.

2. spray the window tint with ammonia.. the more pure, the better.

3. spray the trash bag, then stick the wet side against the window tint.

4. let it bake in the sun for 30 minutes.

5. pull it off.

make sure not to just pull the trash bag off at once. reveal small pieces while you are peeling the film. you may need to spray a little more ammonia while you are peeling... a gas mask will be highly desirable.

I've used this method a few times and it works like a champ... just don't get gassed out.

NX Tacoma 07-13-2004 02:59 PM

Well my idea sucked!! :pat:

HA HA HA!

Jantha 07-13-2004 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by NX Tacoma
Well my idea sucked!! :pat:

HA HA HA!

Hehe. I tried the razor blade once. After that, my new window scratches inspired me to find a better way :)

Victor 07-14-2004 12:28 PM

You can also use Windex or other ammonia cleaner to lubricate your razor blade as you go across the glue on the glass. Peeling works great but I've never removed all the glue with the above method.

AkitaDog 07-21-2004 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jantha
1. put a black garbage back on the outside of the window (you may have to tape a few together). using a razor blade, cut the bag to fit the shape of the window.

2. spray the window tint with ammonia.. the more pure, the better.

3. spray the trash bag, then stick the wet side against the window tint.

4. let it bake in the sun for 30 minutes.

5. pull it off.

make sure not to just pull the trash bag off at once. reveal small pieces while you are peeling the film. you may need to spray a little more ammonia while you are peeling... a gas mask will be highly desirable.

I've used this method a few times and it works like a champ... just don't get gassed out.

This is the way I removed my tint in the past.
Works great!

ElwayLite 07-21-2004 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jantha
Hehe. I tried the razor blade once. After that, my new window scratches inspired me to find a better way :)

You guys are are complicated. I tinted my whole front windshield one time which was quite annoying. Few months later a bottle of soapy water and a razor got it off quickly, and no scratches. Ill let you guys play with the ammonia.

bigbadktm 08-11-2004 07:17 PM

yup ive ruined defroster lines on a car i used to own...so i traded it in for my first toyota. and no that wasnt the only reason. it was an eclipse.