Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Polish/Wax questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polish/Wax questions *more questions*

I have been reading posts on Zaino and Griots. I am going to detail my wife's boss's car for some extra cash. Its an 2002 white Sequoia. He is never has time to wash it, and if he does its done at a car wash (the full service kind). Bob_98SR5 told me that Zaino products need the spray and special wash or it will strip it off. This would not be a problem if it were my car, but for his, I don't know if it will work out.

So my question is, what should I use? I have been using Maguir's for the past 5 years and have been pretty happy with it, and it lasts a long time.

I don't want to buy a porter cable since I am planning on buying the Zaino products for my vehicles, so what other recommendations do you have?

Last edited by SLC Punk; 04-09-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Detailing

I'd just use what you got. A nicely detailed rig inside and out doesn't take a lot of fancy products, just some good old fashioned work ethic. The true test to me if a car is really clean is if the windows are streak free inside and out all the way around and that the inside is immaculate, no dust, grime, dirt anywhere and that is smells clean. The outside is easy, the inside is where you get repeat customers...

Good luck Travis!

Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Trav,

If your boss won't hand wash it w/ the Zaino fluid, then go with what you have or the Griots which lasts longer.

Bob
Old 04-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mind if I ask what you're charging? Around here, a full-sized SUV detail with machine polish, wax and interior would be $300-$325 for a quality job and take all day.

Back to your question: I'd use a separate polish, maybe #7 Show Car Glaze if it isn't swirled too badly, followed by #26 liquid carnauba. The advantage is a better shine and no chance of black trim or rubber discoloration, easy to use, and available anywhere. Skip the clay bar step, unless it's your vehicle! The Meguiar's cleaner/wax products will discolor black trim.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Bob (both of you) and Brian,
Thanks for your recommendations! I am going to see how much Meguiar's stuff I have left and buy any extra stuff at Autozone.

The true test to me if a car is really clean is if the windows are streak free inside and out all the way around and that the inside is immaculate, no dust, grime, dirt anywhere and that is smells clean. The outside is easy, the inside is where you get repeat customers...
Good point! He has a Cobra and a Suburban too, so if I do a really good job, then maybe he will have me do those.

Mind if I ask what you're charging? Around here, a full-sized SUV detail with machine polish, wax and interior would be $300-$325 for a quality job and take all day.
I am charging $250

I'd use a separate polish, maybe #7 Show Car Glaze if it isn't swirled too badly, followed by #26 liquid carnauba. The advantage is a better shine and no chance of black trim or rubber discoloration, easy to use, and available anywhere. Skip the clay bar step, unless it's your vehicle! The Meguiar's cleaner/wax products will discolor black trim.
I know I have a full bottle of #7 I will have to see how much #26 I have left. I will see the condition of the paint, and determine if I need to clay. Since its the Limited version, I don't think there is a lot of black trim on it.. I could be wrong though.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

Talking Two things

Glad to help and PEANUT BUTTER!

Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

I have another question.
He has 20" blings. Last time I saw it, they were very dirty. What do you recommend that I do to clean these? I bought some chrome polish, but I don't know if it will get all the crap off of it.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
I have another question.
He has 20" blings. Last time I saw it, they were very dirty. What do you recommend that I do to clean these? I bought some chrome polish, but I don't know if it will get all the crap off of it.
Replace 'em with black steelies
Old 04-09-2004, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mossback74
Replace 'em with black steelies
I was waiting for that comment, or for someone like Christian (<96Runner>) to say "paint them black"
Old 04-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Banned

Talking Uh

PAINT THEM BLACK!!!

Old 04-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

--> Me <--Brian!!
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
PAINT THEM BLACK!!!

Old 04-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

You can use clay on the rims too.
I have a brush that I use to get the majority of the gunk off and if it's still bad you could always use clay on the wheels.

Someone posted a cheaper alternative to the expensive clay. I'll search and see if I can find it.

Here it is:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...highlight=clay

EDIT:
Right, a brush on the bling rims. What the heck am I thinking???
Old 04-09-2004, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Bob_98SR5 told me that Zaino products need the spray and special wash or it will strip it off.
Once the Zaino is on, you can wash it with any normal car wash. NOTHING lasts longer! So, if you're going to do this once, and want it to last long. Zaino.

If, like many of us, want to add additional layers of Zaino, you need to use their car wash. The spray removes dust and any haze between layers and works well as a quick detailer.

But, to get back to the question I think you asked, you can was Zaino with any car wash. Short of prep-solve this stuff is tuff!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:13 AM

If you've been happy with Meguires, you're going to be stunned by Zainos. I personally use Klasse, but Zainos is very good also. Neither screw up plastic trim.

For plastic trim, I recommend Black Again. It's really quite remarkable what it does. Excellent at cleaning the stains and gunk out of plastic trim. Though the Klasse All in One also does a dandy job of cleaning it as well.

For cleaning really nasty areas, like scuzzy wheels, Eagle's A2Z is excellent.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone have any preferences for the easy-to-scratch-and-fog-up clear plastic shield in front of the guages? There seems to be very little discussion on it.

Anyone use anything common?
Old 04-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Anyone have any preferences for the easy-to-scratch-and-fog-up clear plastic shield in front of the guages? There seems to be very little discussion on it.

Good question. I just ordered a replacement for my Celica because it is hazy ($20). They wanted over $50 for the 4Runner.

I just use a wet chamois.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tomstin
Once the Zaino is on, you can wash it with any normal car wash. NOTHING lasts longer! So, if you're going to do this once, and want it to last long. Zaino.

If, like many of us, want to add additional layers of Zaino, you need to use their car wash. The spray removes dust and any haze between layers and works well as a quick detailer.

But, to get back to the question I think you asked, you can was Zaino with any car wash. Short of prep-solve this stuff is tuff!
I bought the Meguair's stuff for his Sequoia. I am definately going to get the Zaino's for my vehicles. I am not sure if it will be as dramatic since my Celica is white and my 4Runner is Desert Dune.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Banned

Talking Gauge cover

I use the Griot's lint free towels, comes in a set with a little dispenser for 100, and the Griot's window cleaner. Works well and no scratches.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Wax. Be it car wax, furniture wax, acrylic or what ever. They all do a fine job of filling in the scratches and making the plastic much clearer. Works equally well on cheap sunglasses, motorcycle windshields and the like.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

No problems with it turning white like it does on cladding then?