Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Doors sponteneously unlocking - Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors sponteneously unlocking - Please advise

By the way, great forum, I just registered today to post this, but I've enjoyed the site for a long time prior to this.

I have a 91 4runner with power locks and power windows. Last night it started raining with the windows down, and it got some water in the windows before I remembered I had left them down, and went outside to roll them all up.

This morning, as I was driving along I heard what souded like a relay clicking on, then clicking off, at an irregular frequency for about a minute. A few minutes later, the doorlocks sponteneously clicked open.

When I depress the lock button, I hear the relay engage, but not so with the unlock button. It is only intermittantly functional.

Here's the kicker, when I finally got to work and had locked the doors (the rear door was still open for me to get some stuff), all of the doors sponteneously came unlocked. I can see my car from my work window well enough to tell if they are unlocked and so far, each time I have gone down to lock them, they are unlocked by the time I get back to the office.

(This is arguably the most comical car problem I've ever experienced.)

I have 2 questions for the forum:

First, can someone tell me how to identify (I don't have any repair manuals with me) and disengage the electric lock relay to disable the electric locks so they don't keep unlocking the doors. (This is obviously just a short term solution)

Secondly, can anyone advise me on how I should approach diagnosing and fixing the problem permanently.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else here before, and if it's likely a short caused by the water getting in the windows last night that will fix itself by parking in the sun.

Otherwise, just enjoy a good laugh at my expense.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

welcome

yup you just got water into everything ... probably just pull the panel and dry everything off really good with a hair dryer, and hopefully that will fix it
Old 05-23-2005, 08:04 AM

Thanks. That's what I'm hoping.

Can anyone tell me how to quckly disable the electric locks untill it dries out? I don't want someone prone to steal to walk by in a parking lot somewhere and thinks it's a sign from God to steal my laptop.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

maybe you should remove the laptop for the time being, it might be a pain but worth the hassle of reporting your rig being broken into and personal property stolen.

lee
Old 05-23-2005, 06:28 PM

you should have a fuse for the power locks, pull that and they won't work.