Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

tmgte into 1984 4x fixing someone elses mess.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7mgte into 1984 4x fixing someone elses mess.

This is a pretty kick as truck, Isn't mine, it's a customer brought in desperation. He bought this truck new in '84, picked it up off the dock in San Diego. He took straight from there to a custom shop where they extended the frame about 3 feet, probably changed the drive line and added the extra cab and seat. Added a pop up camper, family fun, then wore the 22r out 6 years or so ago. His mechanic, someone name Steve, talked him into a 7mgte conversion. He installed it, actually did a pretty good job. But he apparently installed a piggy back on stand alone engine management that had adjustment on the dash. Well owner didn't want it. Kept bumping the controls and throwing stuff off, though I found later makes me think the problem was elsewhere.
Anyway, this mechanic named Steve took this back to his shop, Tore all the aftermarket management out. Sat there a year then called the owner that he'd lost his shop and he needed to take his truck. So he towed it to his house where it sat for the next 4 years, in his garage with a full tank of premium. About 8 months ago it came here. I found wires running everywhere, vacuum hoses loose, an ecm on the floorboard. Owner had no paperwork on anything that he'd done. With a full tank of gas.
So to start was to drain the gas, change the pump. Don;t think I'd ever heard of a 3mgte. The ecm said 1987 7mgte. The strainer on the pump was eaten away. New battery now power threw the pump lead, ran a new lead off the opening relay. I had it running pretty quick, but not right. Running rich but I drove it to emissions and was turned away when they open the hood. Needed to get a different inspection..
But it started running bad, there was a vacuum leak I could see, and gas got in the fuel. Could pull code, no CEL. I found a bad leak when I pulled the intake. EGR tube on back only had 1 of 2 bolts, no gasket. Replaced intake and egr gasket. I later changed out plug, valve cover gaskets. then injectors. Messed up because I bought a cheap set on ebay listed as a direct fit. Installed, then found the pluck was a little different but they came with new pigtails. I looked up the difference in the plugs only to find out this engine requires low impedance injectors. Then I found the ecm is high impedance 12v but there's a resistor to drop it to 5. Easy delete, Started up and idled right for the first time. For about a day.
I went through every wire here. Then found the Idle air valve was missing a seal and bypass valve.,..I'll finish this tomorrow. 84 King cab 7mgte conversion
7mgte
Tach/turbo light probably from an 87 22RTE. The odometer was set to 0 when turbo engine installed

Last edited by Tim Branthoover; 07-28-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: tmgte heading instead of 7mgte
Old 07-28-2018, 05:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that looks like a Toyota Custom Cab, though this one might be a little longer in the section that was added. There were a few companies like Custom Fab in Hemet, CA that did the conversions.
They did conversion like that from 77 to mid 80's.
I test drove one back in 1986 but the turning radius was huge. Ended up getting my 86 4runner

good luck getting the wiring and stuff sorted out. I hate dealing with crap like that
Old 07-28-2018, 07:13 AM

Yeah, thanks. Been frustrating. Finding parts has been hard. He deleted the cold start injector and finding parts has been the hardest. the fuel line from the rail to the injector to the rail. Still haven't run the wiring to it yet. Then the ISC valve - idle air. If I could communicate with the ecm but there's no way. That light in picture above was my homemade CEL but the diagnostic ports for the jumper leads that make it enter diagnostic mode are dead. I have a $7k Snap on Modis Edge that will plug into everything but back then you can still only count the flashes of the CEL. The ISC I found has 125 different position, Then just after I think I got it, I loose power to the fuel pump. I called the owner yesterday and told him it can't be made to run without a stand alone ecm. But now it wouldn't start and it was right in the middle of my work space. I work for myself in my back yard. Took my power probe and traced it back to the the fuel pump relay.
I'm going to look for a stand alone with harness. I bypassed the relay, it worked enough that I could move it. I may still make this work but stepping away. I've learned a lot about the 7mgte conversions so if any needs info let me know. I plan on putting a page about it on my own website, with links to the best info out there. I had to sell my truck 3 years ago because of a fall that happened 4 years ago that broke 107 bones. It was an '81 Toyota with a Buick v6. Thanks for letting me share. https://www.timthemechanic.com/
Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Dude, 107 bones!!!!! My goodness that sounds horrible

Post up your progress, I would like to see this creation in good running order

Old 07-29-2018, 07:15 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
52% of the bones in the human body

How high did you fall from?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 AM

They say 65' but I don't believe it. I landed on a slope on my left side, Middle of no where Wyoming. If my dog hadn't stopped traffic and somehow told them I was down there I would have bled out soon. It's a miracle I'm alive.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
A. DAMN! Glad to see you're still alive!
B. Something is not adding up between those diagrams and their number, I see like 25ish fractures repeated on 4 different diagrams, most are on the same bones.
C. Still must've been a harsh recovery.

Can't really help with the Yota problems, but I wish you luck in getting it back to service!