Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Something a little different- Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something a little different- Volvo

Hey Folks, I've just picked up an old Volvo wagon with the engine and transmission removed, and have found a deal on a 20R and a 5 speed from an early Celica.
I'd like to put the 20R in the wagon, in the spirit of a reliable drivetrain that will be easy to find parts for.
As far as I know, the 20R ran when pulled, and has the original carb and intake/exhaust manifolds. Any suggestions for what else I'll need to get this running?
I'm aware I'll need to get creative with the pedal assembly and hydraulics, but I figure beyond that I'm just looking at fabbing motor mounts and a transmission mount, and a suitable low-pressure fuel pump
to work with the carb.
Thanks in advance, I'm trying really hard to not just drop a v8 and an automatic in this car to make things easy, lol.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Out of curiosity, how old are we talking? I have a couple of old Volvos. One is a 1963 PV544 coupe (looks like a 40's Ford coupe), with a hot rodded old pushrod Volvo motor - loud and snorty, about 170 at the wheels. The other is a 1993 245 wagon, it has a turbo 16V 2.3L Volvo engine in it with around 350 whp. And I'm in the middle of putting together a 6 spd manual turbo LS drivetrain swap for it.

I'm assuming the one you're talking about is more like the 240 in age, since you mentioned a low pressure fuel pump. 240's have a low pressure lift pump in the tank which is pretty suitable for feeding a carb a low pressure high volume amount of gas, you'd just take off the external high pressure pump and bypass it.

Swapping any motor that doesn[t belong in is a lot of work, generally it's only worth the time and effort if the new motor brings something to the table, in this case, the 20R is at best a lateral move in terms of power, reliability, durability over just getting another Volvo drivetrain from a junkyard and bolting it straight in over a weekend day.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an 80, but I ended up letting my buddy sell it to someone else, so I didn't get it.
I was only thinking about the carb'd 20r because it was cheap and simple, unlike the k-jet system that didn't have all the parts.

Quick Reply: Something a little different- Volvo