Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Need Help Installing '91 Auto 2WD Body On '95 Manual 4wd Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Installing '91 Auto 2WD Body On '95 Manual 4wd Chassis

I'm helping my grandson install the body from a '91 2wd auto 4runner on a '95 4wd manual chassis that was rolled. I know this is the engine swap section, but I really couldn't find anything else that fit our project which is essentially an engine swap in reverse. I think I have most of the project figured out, but I'm not certain how to handle the ECU and associated wiring. My first thought was to separate the wiring between the ECU and the engine on the '95 from the other wiring in the bundle and simply use that on the '91 until I determined that some of the wires associated with the ECU appeared to go in other directions. At this point I'm not certain how to proceed and that is where I need help. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Dixon
Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have done several frame swaps but not on the 2nd gen runners but feel they are the same. The harness you should be able to keep on the truck that is going to its new frame. The 91 is a mechanical speedometer and the 95 is a electrical speedometer. If you are using the 2wd drive train that should not be an issue. Remove all the electrical connections from the drive train and set the body on the new frame with wiring intact.

I understand that you can use the auto ECM but somehow you have to trick the computer into thinking it is in neutral all of the time. I forget how you do that part. Probably grounding a wire somewhere but you will need to look into that further.

You using the 95 drive train with the 91 body? If that is the case I would suggest a harness swap as well to do it right. A harness swap is not as difficult as you may think. It is time consuming and you will need to remove the entire dash which is a big job but is doable.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Hi Terrys87,
We're using the '95 manual 4wd drive train and frame with the '91 body, but this '95 has a spedometer cable running from the transfer case to the speedometer, so if the '91 is mechanical also, that part should be OK.
Right now I'm trying to avoid the full harness swap by doing some harness "modifications" that will allow me to use the manual ECU, but I would certainly agree that a full harness swap and the manual ECU would take care of all our problems. I was hoping someone here could provide some help and/or guidance with the "modifications".
Thanks for your help.
Steve Dixon
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Hi Terrys87,
We're using the '95 manual 4wd drive train and frame with the '91 body, but this '95 has a spedometer cable running from the transfer case to the speedometer, so if the '91 is mechanical also, that part should be OK.
Right now I'm trying to avoid the full harness swap by doing some harness "modifications" that will allow me to use the manual ECU, but I would certainly agree that a full harness swap and the manual ECU would take care of all our problems. I was hoping someone here could provide some help and/or guidance with the "modifications".
Thanks for your help.
Steve Dixon
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wont the tunnel and front crossmember be totally different?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are going to need wiring diagrams for both vehicles, unless you can find someone who has done the exact same swap and is willing to share all of their information and guide you through it. If you are just swapping the body and leaving the 95 power train then a full harness swap (engine, dash, body) is the way to go. If you are not familiar with automotive wiring especially Toyota ...I wouldn't try it. I'm not saying you can't do it, but removing the harnesses is much easier then what you are planning to do. Years ago Toyota harnesses were interchangeable, regardless of the model everything was there. In the 90's the harnesses were vehicle specific and there are a lot of circuits that the 4wd computer is getting information from that just aren't in the 2wd harness. Sure they can be added, but cutting apart a harness and adding circuits is mind numbing and if you miss something and your check engine light is on, you won't pass emissions if your state has testing.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 02-05-2014 at 09:05 AM.