YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   Most powerful engine in an 89 pickup (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/most-powerful-engine-89-pickup-290004/)

rondogracing 07-20-2015 04:33 PM

Most powerful engine in an 89 pickup

I just put a new 22RE engine in my 89 pickup for a work truck for the next year while I save for a new full size truck and wanted to Baja it out after that for a full blown desert off hiway only truck, this frees me from smog and other restrictions and I was wondering what is the biggest most powerful eingine I could fit into the engine capartment of my 89 pickup? I am looking to upgrade to long travel racing suspension roll cadge and the oversized radiator in the back of the truck that would free up more room under the hood could I fit something like a Chevey 350 small block? Or maybe a super charged import out of a Supera or something? Any ideals, tips, suggestions, or thoughts are welcome.

Yota.Jay 07-20-2015 04:38 PM

Tagged in this thread also

rondogracing 07-20-2015 04:43 PM

What does that mean?

Yota.Jay 07-20-2015 04:45 PM

Basically I also want to know the answer to your question

rondogracing 07-20-2015 04:46 PM

Sorry new to this message board stuff thanks

Chili327 07-20-2015 04:50 PM

Small block chevy will probably be the easiest to get plenty of power, im sure there are other options, like twin turbo 4cyl, etc.. but im thinking not much more bang, but for a lot more buck. :)

You can build a sbc that will tear your truck apart, so you need to be thinking of reinforcement as well.

donomite49 07-20-2015 05:12 PM

Yea small block chevy or a Lexus V8 will fit.

You could also probably get well over 4 hundred hp from a 3.4 Toyota V6 turbo
Or 1400 HP from a 2jzgte inline Toyota six turbo

The drive train is the limiting factor in a 4wd.

This is going to get pricey very fast...

rondogracing 07-20-2015 05:12 PM

Thanks

rondogracing 07-20-2015 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chili327 (Post 52281626)
Small block chevy will probably be the easiest to get plenty of power, im sure there are other options, like twin turbo 4cyl, etc.. but im thinking not much more bang, but for a lot more buck. :)

You can build a sbc that will tear your truck apart, so you need to be thinking of reinforcement as well.

Thanks Chili327, I have just started looking into a full blown off-road build and learning what all needs to be done any suggestions on reinforcement upgrades?

rondogracing 07-20-2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49 (Post 52281630)
Yea small block chevy or a Lexus V8 will fit.

You could also probably get well over 4 hundred hp from a 3.4 Toyota V6 turbo
Or 1400 HP from a 2jzgte inline Toyota six turbo

The drive train is the limiting factor in a 4wd.

This is going to get pricey very fast...

Thanks Donomite49, I am looking to spend a pretty penny over the course of a few years, what about supercharger for the 22RE? Do they have any and would I still have to rebuild a much stroger trans?

donomite49 07-20-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rondogracing (Post 52281634)
Thanks Donomite49, I am looking to spend a pretty penny over the course of a few years, what about supercharger for the 22RE? Do they have any and would I still have to rebuild a much stroger trans?

I don't think supercharger is available but turbo probably is.

I would put a more suitable engine in to blaze the dez.

3.4 swap would probably be one of the easier swaps, except the motor mounts relocation.

Look through the engine swap section on yotatech for all the info you need for engine decision.

Tacoma World long travel section is good for suspension research. Also look through desert rangers too.

BlazeN8 07-20-2015 08:18 PM

I put a small block Ford in my 1986 xtra cab pick up. A fuel injected 5.0 HO from a 1987 Mustang. Its rated at 225 hp and 300 ft/lb torque. I used the Mustang T-5 manual transmission with an adapter to mate the T-5 transmission to the Toyota transfer case. Advanced Adapters sells the adapter and Northwest Off Roads sells the engine swap motor mounts. There were no drive line modifications needed. You can modify the oil pan or install a 4" drop bracket lift to clear the oil pan. Radiator and header fitment also require some work. My set up is smog legal in CA as I followed the engine swap guidelines and retained all the Mustang smog equipment.

If your looking to build big power for cheap and don't have smog restrictions a small block Ford motor can be a good way to go.

rondogracing 07-21-2015 03:21 PM

The old Toyota Sprinter had a DOHC 4 cylinder engine that produces more hp the the 22RE starts at 125 hp and Turbo compatable.

rondogracing 07-21-2015 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49 (Post 52281649)
I don't think supercharger is available but turbo probably is.

I would put a more suitable engine in to blaze the dez.

3.4 swap would probably be one of the easier swaps, except the motor mounts relocation.

Look through the engine swap section on yotatech for all the info you need for engine decision.

Tacoma World long travel section is good for suspension research. Also look through desert rangers too.

Desert rangers is that a thread on here ot a seperate website?

rondogracing 07-21-2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8 (Post 52281657)
I put a small block Ford in my 1986 xtra cab pick up. A fuel injected 5.0 HO from a 1987 Mustang. Its rated at 225 hp and 300 ft/lb torque. I used the Mustang T-5 manual transmission with an adapter to mate the T-5 transmission to the Toyota transfer case. Advanced Adapters sells the adapter and Northwest Off Roads sells the engine swap motor mounts. There were no drive line modifications needed. You can modify the oil pan or install a 4" drop bracket lift to clear the oil pan. Radiator and header fitment also require some work. My set up is smog legal in CA as I followed the engine swap guidelines and retained all the Mustang smog equipment.

If your looking to build big power for cheap and don't have smog restrictions a small block Ford motor can be a good way to go.

Thanks blazeN8 I have been looking at the Chevy engines never thought about the Ford engines there is a lot to research glad I am giving myself a couple years to work this out and save up for it.

Robert m 07-21-2015 05:01 PM

You don't want or need a huge amount of power in a desert racing truck, especially if you are just starting out in the scene. With too much power, you will break other parts like axles, diffs, transmissions, and drive shafts real quick. You want more reliability then anything else. "To finish first, first you must finish". A stock LS engine or a GOOD rebuild of any V8 will be plenty of power for a long time in a truck as light as a toyota. People raced on stock 22re engines for a long time and I believe a few still do.

The sad part is, the engine swap will probably be one of the cheaper things you do to the truck if you do a full build on it. The cost of a good designed and installed cage and good race proven,well built suspension can be the same price as a new small car.

Dezertrangers.com is the best forum about long travel suspension, and building trucks for the desert in general. There are a few others, but DR has the most knowledge floating around on it. You just have know a head of time, people there will pick on you and give you crap. Race-dezert.com is good too but not as active.

Bumpin' Yota 08-24-2015 03:02 AM

LSx based v8s are the way to go. 300+HP and 300+ftlbs out of the box even for the 4.8I v8. Most junkyards only charge 300 to 500 for a complete long block. The Chevy ECM acts exactly as a standalone as well. The LSx based engines will also easily make 450rwhp NA, and if you add boost, then the sky is the limit with proper tuning....

A 4.8I LSx truck engine with stock internals made over 1200HP on the dyno for one of the hot rod magazines....