Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

mid 90's toyo pickup and 2jz engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mid 90's toyo pickup and 2jz engine swap

where would i find out more about this swap??? how hard would it be? or is there an easier just as reliable swap?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM

there are many MUCH! easier swaps. Look around this section, read some previous build ups in here. There are a few sites out there with some more information on this particular swap. Know this... there is no kit, some of the only few to put it in 4x4 setup had a shop with the equipment to machine needed parts. If you decide this is the route you want to go, i will be happy to answer any specific questions you might have, short version is that " i am assuming you have a v6 you can use parts from 4cyl pickup to mount+ reposition trans and drive shafts and convert to manual transfer case and interior, the motor mounts will have to be made, and either make a oil pan or do a driveline lift. To answer your question there better routes if you want easy and reliable, but if you have the dedication it is a heck of a way to go,
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM

i was just curious on the details of that swap. but i do want to go with a straight 6 swap. one capable of decent hp and torque and is able to last forever. any suggestions???
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 AM

I am obviously in favor of a jz swap, the benefits out way the 7m by far. My sugestion is to go with 1jz (same block as 2j but only 2.5 instead of 3.0) these came in the toyota soarer (jspec of lexus sc 300) this motor with a 1j bellhousing will bolt directly to your transmission, although i don't recommend it because the trans will not hold up long, but it will work a while just to get thing running, but (if you go auto, rather than the easier manual) use the a3040 le that comes on the 1j remove the tail housing and swap on a top manual shifted transfer case found on your f series of the a340 trans (you cannot use the one on the h series in your truck because it is not divorceable do to being hydroponically controlled) found in your donor i4 pickup that you get your other parts from ( you will have to swap output shafts), all parts will bolt together then use cross member and driveshafts from same i4 auto donor, ( this will slide your motor back far enough to fit) your 1j will come with mid sump oil pan, go to supraforums (not ebay way over priced) and find someone who has bought an aristo motor for there supra swap and need a mid sump and trade them your upper and lower oil pan, pick up tube, float, windam plate, they need all your parts for there swap and you need theirs, so someone will be happy to swap even with you, invert your two oil return lines when you swap the pans, then you have two choices, 1- you cut the back side of your pan and weld in a bowl shape on the rear to clear the steering, (the dampener comes off regaurdless) or 2- you can go my route and do a body lift and driveline lift,(this has many benifits) one being that your pan remains stock and will clear. You will have to fab motor mounts, there is no bolt up combo that i have figured out yet. A full swap with ecu and trans can be found for the 1200-1500 range last time i looked, 2jz that you see for cheap online are usually from an aristo, these are a pain to wire and have two many differences ie low vs high impedence injectors and afm vs mas, the supra 2jz are going to be WAY pricey at 4g's, However if you don't want to go turbo you can pick up a stock 2jz-ge from someone doing a turbo swap in there lexus or yota for around 500-1000 make sure you still get ecu and all, (depending on if it came from a gs300 or similar than you don't even need to worry about the oil pan swap) oh and the not turbo option means not having to tap in the firewall 1" at the corner of the heater core

I hope this has been helpful for you, if you have any questions or need some pictures let me know please excuse any error above typed during my break at work
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
go with a 7mgte swap rather than a 2jz... much easier.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 AM

ok say i go with a 1jz swap. if i pick one up from a sc 300 i shouldn't have to worry about the oil pan right? maybe a body lift for clearance? what if the truck has a solid front axle? does that pose any problems or benefits??? and if the original manual trans isn't gonna stand up for long what other choices are there? dumb question here but if the 1jz and 2jz have the same block why's the 1jz an easier swap??? thank for the help i appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 PM

the difference is in the wiring, all reasonably priced 2jz gte will be from an aristo and be harder wiring, however they will have the oil pan setup you need, the 1jz is less trouble to wire up, but you will need to swap the oil pan set up, front axle dose not matter if you have a lift, i did a 3" body lift and 2" driveline lift and not only cleared the front diff but i also have a top mounted air inlet for my air locker

Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SupraRunner
the difference is in the wiring, all reasonably priced 2jz gte will be from an aristo and be harder wiring, however they will have the oil pan setup you need, the 1jz is less trouble to wire up, but you will need to swap the oil pan set up, front axle dose not matter if you have a lift, i did a 3" body lift and 2" driveline lift and not only cleared the front diff but i also have a top mounted air inlet for my air locker

Do you have a 5 speed or auto? The way we did our 5speed swap was to buy a 1jz with the r154 5speed, took the tail housing off of it and added the stock v6 transfer case. which is basically what you said to do with the automatics. I am about to start on a 2JZ-gte swap in my 4runner. Mine will be an automatic swap though. But instead of swapping transfer cases i am going to order the inchworm pre runner adapter and put a gear driven case behind the stock 2jz automatic. Most of this stuff is easy the hardest part will always be the wiring.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM

ya mine is the auto, but my stock v6 auto transfer case can't be separated so i got one off of a I4 auto
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM

So the I4 Tranny will fit the 1jz with no modifications?