Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Live4soccer7's 1UZ-FE Ramblings -> Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have been back to more researching while looking for my donor car. I also will be building a "car" trailer to haul the car since it is likely that I will not find one very close to my location and even more unlikely that it will be in a drivable condition. I am looking into the best setup for the 1UZ to R150 adaption. I got a great response from a guy over at lextreme. Some of this is already known, but good info at the very least.

After trying the adapter plates first off, then products such as Dellow etc I noticed a couple of years back that there was a seller on eBay based in Thailand doing bellhousings so after some chat back and forth I decided to get one on for a Hilux conversion and try it out (seller is KSracing) well firstly being in Western Australia the thing turned up in 3 days and for the 4wd R series boxes was the perfect height. So from there an "over the counter flywheel" was needed, Xtreme performance did a nice flywheel that was easily sourced (same day) and the auto flywheel bolts were able to be used so that saves finding suitable replacements. For the clutch itself I used an FZJ80 10 inch Landcruiser clutch disc and also release bearing for the same vehicle with an R32 Skyline pressure plate. Bolt it all together and there's that part over. Clutch fork? Stock Hilux/4runner as with the pivot ball (fit a 2mm spacer). Cut 35mm off of the KS bells slave pedestool and use a stock V6 4runner clutch slave cyl (also the Hilux/4runner rubber boot is used for the clutch fork). Now this does mean that you have to countersink one bellhousing bolt and find an appropriate cap screw to replace said bolt with but the end result is as close as you are going to get to a factory feel and operation with the hardest part being making up the new hydraulic lines and brackets to secure them. As a bit of added security with the bellhousing I also recut all the threads and fitted helicoils. The total cost was much the same as most commonly available kits yet with pretty much everything available from any auto parts store
Another guy over at lextreme has a site with some good stuff:

http://www.thecartunecompany.co.nz/pages/parts.htm

http://thecartunecompany.co.nz/osc/i...be63331c42fc82

He said he definitely recommends the vvti if not boosting and has the immobilizer situation figured out along with the removal of the auto tranny (solutions on his site).

Last edited by live4soccer7; 05-12-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
great research! i've had my eye on 1uz swaps for a while now, just seemed too intimidating to consider. very nice having all the research in one spot like this! I was surprised to learn that the internals were weaker on the later models. i wonder how much difference it actually makes if your keeping it n/a..... cuz even though the later ones would be a lot more pain to work with, you'd get 40+ more HP which seems worth the effort to me
If you don't want to have any kind of forced induction down the road then the vvti would be the way to go. I think the best years would be 98,99,00 for the vvti (perhaps those are the only years).

Anyways, you can get a "de-immobilizer" box from the link above this post and also another setup to bypass the tranny codes it would through if you wanted a manual gearbox. I think those are the largest two obstacles you would run into. Other than that, simply getting it all hooked up properly would be the biggest thing (sensors and what not).

Again, the engines are golden if you don't want to the option for FI. I want the option to down the road, so I am going with an earlier motor. Supposedly through 94. I want to find at least a 93 to guarantee the motor I get. I have been on the hunt for a while, however I will be building a trailer soon so I can haul it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM

Interesting article in supercharging the 1UZ: http://www.lextreme.com/Supercharged-Lexus.html
Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 AM

an update. The swap begins!

If you want to follow go here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...runner-250562/

Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know if a r154 will bolt to a rf1a
Old 06-19-2014, 08:47 PM

You need to take the R154 and the R150 and use the tail housing from the R150 on the R154. I do not recall if you need to swap any gearing or shafts, but at least you know the general direction you need to go in order to accomplish this.