YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   Highlander hybrid motor in 1st gen 4runner? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/highlander-hybrid-motor-1st-gen-4runner-184101/)

43runner 06-10-2009 08:54 AM

Highlander hybrid motor in 1st gen 4runner?

Just want to know if anyone has swapped in a Highlander hybrid motor into a 1st gen 4runner, or if anyone knows if it is possible. I'm thinking with the linear electric assist, an electric motor would probably work really good off road, especially in extreme incline situations where a gas motor would be starved of oil, but it would have no effect on an electric motor. Thanks guys.

DeathCougar 06-10-2009 09:04 AM

Even if someone had, do you even have the funds to do such a swap or is this another one of *those* threads?

43runner 06-10-2009 02:55 PM

I would rather spend $30,000 to swap in a hybrid powerplant into a 1st gen 4runner than $30,000 on a crappy Hybrid Highlander. All I want is the drive and powertrain to use the 4runner as a daily driver. I think it's actually more economical than buying a new Hybrid car or truck.

CRafferty 06-10-2009 02:59 PM

IDK about the swap, it'd be hard to fit that battery in and all the ECU stuff would be a ton of work. I HAVE wheeled with some guy with an electrically powered old Land Rover Defender from the 80s and it was a beast. 3speed tranny, and ran off a relatively small batery. The cool thing was that the torque was on demand, rather than getting to the power band, it was there all the time so each entire gear was optimal for low end torque. I wish he would've let me drive it a little. The man was easily the scariest Harley-Biker/Hippy/Offroader I have ever encountered lol.

RobD 06-10-2009 03:11 PM

Almost anything is possible with enough money, but I would advise against it.

A) you'll never get any your money back out of it, ever
B) the complexity of the system is beyond most backyard mechanic's skill level
C) finding the drivetrain, complete with battery pack and controller, engine, and electric motor would be difficult, at best
D) those battery packs are dangerous in the wrong hands

If you're worried about starving the engine of oil, look at a dry sump or remote sump oiling system. I imagine you could plumb the system for less than a $1000 or so and still have lots of money to buy gas.

CRafferty 06-10-2009 03:14 PM

^^^Yeah, but a plus to section D is that you'd have the only 1st gen 4R explosive wheeler lol
:jk:

43runner 06-10-2009 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CRafferty (Post 51159338)
IDK about the swap, it'd be hard to fit that battery in and all the ECU stuff would be a ton of work. I HAVE wheeled with some guy with an electrically powered old Land Rover Defender from the 80s and it was a beast. 3speed tranny, and ran off a relatively small batery. The cool thing was that the torque was on demand, rather than getting to the power band, it was there all the time so each entire gear was optimal for low end torque. I wish he would've let me drive it a little. The man was easily the scariest Harley-Biker/Hippy/Offroader I have ever encountered lol.

That setup for the Defender is what I am envisioning, except using the electric motor as a auxiliary/low speed motor, then switching to gas or diesel power for long distance freeway driving. I want to put this setup in my daily driven 4runner --> 31" tires, pretty much all stock, 22re.

CRafferty 06-10-2009 03:43 PM

You might be better off just going with one of those all electric motors. If you could find one, I'm sure there is plenty of information on how to get it to do what you want it to.

waskillywabbit 06-10-2009 04:22 PM

That motor would bring the suck off-road.

:guitar:

CRafferty 06-10-2009 04:23 PM

^Wha?? lol.
Maybe that's what nObabm's going to start pitching now, just put theses 12v batteries into you're trucks and make it work! Epic gearing at it's best and worst at the same time.

ozziesironmanoffroad 06-10-2009 05:32 PM

i was debating it myself, but look at their power. theyre kinda weak. the car is pretty light. now. imagine that engine trying to push a steel brick. its not gonna be worth it.

RobD 06-10-2009 08:40 PM

Here's a better idea: take a small, efficient diesel generator and run 4 electric motors, one at each wheel. Create a computer system and software that could manage all 4 motors, allowing control at each one for wicked offroad traction (who needs a locker?) and regenerative braking like a diesel locomotive.

I'm going to patent this idea and wait for the big $$$ to roll in...

Adam F 06-11-2009 06:29 AM

I saw an electric full size blazer at SEMA last year.

It had 2 electric motors hooked up to the transfer case.

It also had regenerative hydraulic shocks.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8...54smallsh0.jpg

43runner 06-11-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CRafferty (Post 51159432)
^Wha?? lol.
Maybe that's what nObabm's going to start pitching now, just put theses 12v batteries into you're trucks and make it work! Epic gearing at it's best and worst at the same time.

Actually what i want to do has no relation to Comrade Obama's green policies. I just want to save money at the pump. If you want to know who Obama is, read Liberty and Tyranny and Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, and Carl Marx's Communist Manifesto.