Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Engine swap ideas/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Engine swap ideas/suggestions

I've been doing a bunch of research, and am pretty sure that I know the direction I want to go, but in case I'm missing something, I thought I'd throw this out there if anyone has any other ideas.

I have an '87 4Runner. I wrecked it by putting a chevy engine/transmission in it, it's never run 100% correctly, and I'm done spending money on it (for the record, it was a 1-year combination of the 4.3 with the spider injection and the non-electric 4L60 transmission. That unique management combination is a big part of my troubles). I've broken down more times than I can count, it starts really hard, it leaks ATF like crazy, I just don't trust it. So it's coming out.

I like to play on the rocks, so an auto transmission is a must for me. This is what makes searching for information difficult, as there are so many options for a manual trans....
I definitely don't want a 22RE. The larger vehicle, big tires (33s now, have had 35s), and auto transmission. Maybe with a built 22RE, but I don't really want to get down that path.
I'm not sure about the 3RZ, might be enough, but I'm thinking probably not (although I'm open to input from someone that's done it with an auto trans).
This is a budget, DIY build. So relatively abundantly available, pre-immobilizer etc.
I'd like it to fit well in the engine bay, and get decent mileage, so I don't want a ton of displacement either. Probably no V8s.

Diesel would be sweet, but I think for parts-availability, I'd like to avoid a JDM toyota diesel, or an old Mercedes. TDi would be sweet, but I haven't seen anyone do it with an automatic. TDconversions.com has an adapter plate for TDi to 22RE, which might allow the use of an auto, but that's over $1k, and might work with the auto, and I'd have to source an auto trans.

1UZ would be cool, but not terribly common, and the 4WD conversion on the transmission adds a complication and cost that probably isn't worth it.

3VZ........no

I think the answer is 5VZ. I've got a craigslist search for a donor T-100, which (being passenger side drop) would allow me to use engine, transmission, and transfer case as an assembly, which is very appealing. Those are all column-shift, so I'd have to get creative with the shifter, but that's pretty easy. I've seen a couple for $1500ish, but with higher miles than I'd like. There was one that would have been perfect, if it was an auto trans. But I'll keep looking.

Any other options I should be considering? Recommendations?
Old 11-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, you didn't get a very good response on this thread start. Have you learned anything that you might like to share?
Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I continued my research, TDis have been done with an Automatic, but yea, it's a ~$1500 adapter kit, plus engine and transmission sourced seperately, didn't think an RZ would give me the power I wanted and found a lot more documentation on 1UZ swaps. There's a Facebook group just for 1UZ Toyota truck/4runner swaps that's always got good information. This all put the 1UZ back on the table next to the 5VZ. So I had decided that I would jump on the right deal for either donor when it came down to it.

I found a guy parting out a T100, he wanted too much money for what I needed (it was a low mileage reman engine), but he was willing to sell me the transfer case and adapter.

Then I stumbled across a 1UZ/trans/wiring/ECU on Facebook marketplace, I normally would look for a complete donor car, but this thing was very complete, and cheap because he had it listed all wrong. It's been mostly prepped for the swap, transfer case adapted to it, wiring tested and engine run on the stand several times. We got pregnant with our 2nd in June, and my wife hasn't been to work since the middle of July with complications, so the 4Runner is off the priority list, but it'll get done.

More info in my build thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-224025/

1UZ info starts on post #121