Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

2uz-fe with 4x4 trans to 2uz-fe with 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2uz-fe with 4x4 trans to 2uz-fe with 2wd

Someone probably has the answer!
02 Sequoia 4x4 has given up its motor and engine harness for the sake of a 02 Sequoia 2wd. How can you use the 4x4 harness for the 2wd transmission. I hope that the answer doesn't require transferring the whole engine harness from the 2wd dead motor to the 4x4 motor.
I am sure someone has already experienced this question. LOOKING FOR HELP
Old 07-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't have the EWD for a Sequoia, but if it's anything like the older trucks (pickup, tacoma, t100 and maybe Tundra), the wires used for 4x4 can just be left unhooked, similar to those that get a 3.4L with the auto harness and use it with a stick, they repin the ecu connector and leave out the automatic pins. Sounds like you'll need the EWD from the Toyota TIS site. Be sure to get both vehicles and it doesn't hurt to get a year older/newer than what you have for if you run across something that doesn't make sense (possible error on their end).

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided that the risk of using the 4x4 harness in the 2wd ecu was not worth the time savings if it had the possibility of causing an emissions or other malfunction. I did take the time to swap the engine harnesses. Everything was fine till it came time to get to the STARTER! The engineer that designed that has to have been on his way out to lunch.
Thanks for the input.
The engine replacement has been complete except for holding the crank and torquing the crank bolt. Any ideas for holding tools?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
You could try to get someone to hold a breaker bar on the alternator/power steering bolt or what ever one is the biggest to use and see if you can get enough torque before the belt slips. Not sure how it's done professionally, I suspect with an impact and one of those torque limiting sockets like for lug nuts.

The starter design is a copy over from the 1UZ design. The starter was redesigned for longevity due to it's placement in the Lexus car. I guess the typical spot was too tight to fit. Generally speaking the starter will last a really long time, but when they fail it's a long job to replace.