Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

2JZ-GE VVT-i Pajero Swap Gone Wrong

Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2JZ-GE VVT-i Pajero Swap Gone Wrong

First of all, I'm almost too scared to post on these forums. However, since the guts of my Pajero are now Toyota, I'm sure you folks will help out

Here's the skinny. My 4d56 died on my 89 SWB Pajero. I got offered a 2JZ-GE VVTI for a great price, and was told I could retain the original gear of the Pajero. This made me switch, and then 100 bhp vs. 230 bhp........
So the swap is complete. I don't have the rpm meter sorted just yet, but in 1st gear I hit 50 km/h, in 2nd i hit 85km/h, in 3rd I think i hit nearly 130 km/h before the rev limiter kicks in. So it looks like the gear is working fine (albeit there is a lot of gear whine).

The problem is that power is inconsistent through the rev range. So if i floor it in 1st from a stand, it starts accelerating, but I feel around 3000 rpm (no rpm meter yet) or so their is major power loss, and then, in the same gear, I feel around 5000 rpm, the power comes back on again.

I live in Pakistan, and things here can sometimes be a little different. The mechanics here say it is possible that the fuel pump the installer put on is too small for the engine, but then I ask them why it starts accelerating well after about 5000 rpm, and everyone is blank. I saw the fuel pump they installed, and its very small, probably around 4.5 inches long, that's it. Its not the original 2JZ one for sure. I also hear that they put the same pump in some Corolla diesel to petrol swaps!!

Others point to the possibility that perhaps the electronics have not been wired like they should have been. People don't use manuals here, its more of a trial and error kind of approach.

I've been reading up, and I've noticed people having similar problems with knock sensors. Do you think this could be it? I mean, the engine is retarding timing, and running very rich.

I'm in a fix, as I've invested many countless hours sitting with mechanics but so far no one has been able to diagnose things properly.

Would truly appreciate any help anyone can give.

Best.
Rao.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Did they wire in the diagnostic connector that communicates with the ecu? (OBDII port) If so, do you have any trouble codes stored or check engine light on? It sounds like there might be a flat spot on the tps. But I'm not very familiar with these motors. What year and model did this motor come from? Any other details of the swap you can give us will help. Also picture go a long way here so show us what you have.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
Did they wire in the diagnostic connector that communicates with the ecu? (OBDII port) If so, do you have any trouble codes stored or check engine light on? It sounds like there might be a flat spot on the tps. But I'm not very familiar with these motors. What year and model did this motor come from? Any other details of the swap you can give us will help. Also picture go a long way here so show us what you have.
I'm not entirely sure. I did see a diagnostic port, but when I asked them if it would work or not, they said it wouldn't. Having said that, they did put a computer up with the ECU to check for codes, and upon doing that they changed the oil pressure sensor and the MAP sensor I think. I understand your point about pictures, I will make sure I take plenty when I visit the car again over the weekend. Does it sound like a fuel pump issue in your opinion? I'd totally understand if you need to see some codes and pictures before that though.

Oh, and there is no way I could say what car or model the engine came from, you have to see the markets here to believe me!

Cheers.
Rao.

Last edited by raohamid; 03-11-2011 at 02:52 AM.