Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

SAS FJ60 with axle housing flip and front shackle for my 2001 Tacoma

Old 10-18-2017, 12:46 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
1st test drive and all is quiet and leakfree! Now I can say I have landcruiser 3rds front and rear
All done with mods. This is the way way it will stay for a long time.

Rear Harrop is it....no more.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:34 AM
ZUK

Test driving it......Driving all over the place and no issues....no pulling or crabbing down the road. No tire wear. The gears are running quiet. The gear oil is staying in the diff and all I'm using is the paper gaskets for both sides of the axle housing. No rtv.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Zuk, this is fantastic!! Job well done sir!!!!! Did you roll those braces or weld and bend around?
Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM
ZUK

Thanks. So now both my front and rear diffs are flipped with the drains on top
The 4 braces were simply cut from a piece of DOM tube. Lots of cutting with a cutting wheel on the hand grinder. Took forever to cut the 16 corners .188" thick).
Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK
Don't hit rocks like that on the trail so not an issue smashing the rod. Besides, the Y arm is almost free...just find an old spare arm and weld it on with the hot glue gun.

Don't think I've heard of anyone flipping the 3rd to make it a high pinion but seems like the issues would be the wheels would turn backwards. And it would still be contacting the coast side when in 1st gear forward.....but if you put the truck in reverse gear the truck would move FORWARD and be contacting the drive. It would be all messed up
hold on a second there. so you are saying if I take a clock & rotate it 180 degrees it will then run backwards? I am sorry but I don't see that it will do anything but continue go in the same direction it has always gone in.

please correct me if I am off base on this one

Piglett
Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 PM
ZUK

Yep....the wheels will be going backwards. You're turning the pinion in the same direction.....but the ring gear is flipping from the passenger side of the pinion to the driver's side. Wheels now turn backwards.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great, nice to see one of my greatest "oh duh" moments revived from the dead! Lol, don't worry piglet, it happens to the best of us.

Another fab job well done Zuk! You say locker is the last addition? (Let's not kid ourselves, lol) How about rear disks? Those drums handle ok for ya?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:21 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
Great, nice to see one of my greatest "oh duh" moments revived from the dead! Lol, don't worry piglet, it happens to the best of us.

Another fab job well done Zuk! You say locker is the last addition? (Let's not kid ourselves, lol) How about rear disks? Those drums handle ok for ya?

I don't know......I'm as frugal as frugal can be....I entertained rear disc for a little bit but I think I'll just get the stock rear drums to work like they should but they don't at the moment.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 PM
ZUK

More driving around town....couple hundred miles so far and all is just like before the upgrade.

Last edited by ZUK; 10-25-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: ll
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK
More driving around town....couple hundred miles so far and all is just like before the upgrade.
What are you worried about? You've only been doing this stuff your whole life
let us know when you do the locker and get that rock taco out where it belongs!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
What are you worried about? You've only been doing this stuff your whole life
let us know when you do the locker and get that rock taco out where it belongs!
Haha....you're right. Not too worried about that hybrid mod. Been going over it in my mind for 4 months waiting for the hot weather to break and when it did, I was all set on how to do it.

But I also considered what if I screwed up the hybrid housing? What if it didn't work out as expected? But thanks to all the symmetry....the right and left axles being the same length....
the crosspin being in the exact center of the housing....the bolt pattern of the 3rd being a perfect mirror image no matter which way it was flipped......all these things just made it a piece of cake.

Based on my experience of this center-section transplant, I'm wondering if a larger organization would see the worthiness of this kind of REAR housing mod.....
somebody like http://JustDifferentials.com or http://SOR.com ...........or even these guys http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/customfab.html

Any FJ40 or 60 or 62. They all have the removable rear service cover which is a plus.

The Harrop is 100% planned for the near future....perhaps during the first gear oil change in 1000 miles.

Last edited by ZUK; 10-26-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:46 AM
ZUK

I think this is the first time this year that I've actually taken the truck to the car wash for a good cleaning...... but this can be done in central Arizona just because of the nice weather :-)

Last edited by ZUK; 10-26-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 AM
ZUK

Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM
ZUK

Expecting the rear #9378 Harrop elocker to arrive even possibly today.....that is the very last serious upgrade that this guy is going to do. It's good to know that I will be able to make it to any sane camp spot with this setup.

In the meantime, I have been getting chirps from the 3 fan belts now for a couple of years so I purchased replacement belts(years ago) and decided to have them cryo treated(also years ago).
Not much is available on the internet about that kind of thing especially with fan belts and such but there really is a long term advantage
Here's the 3 cryo treated belts just now freshly installed. It's amazing how quiet the engine compartment now seems with "fresh" belts....
the old belts....especially the Alternator belt which would squeal on startup but then quiet down. Apparently, they were still making a metallic noise from all the
burnt cracked ribs that all of them had.

Outside to inside belt....belt #1 on the outside was the power steering belt.....middle belt #2 was the AC. Belt #3 closest to the engine was the Alternator belt.These belts were oem....from the year 2001 on the truck....they just made the 207,000 miles mark.
Not bad at all for original belts. I had 3 belts carried in the truck with me just in case one decided to POP during this "long term testing" that I was putting the belts thru.
The belts below are the nearly 17 years old belts....not the cryo belts....those are now living in the engine compartment.

Here's the power steering belt...flexing it backwards to show how cracked it was....the belt in, general, felt burnt and somewhat crispy.
This belt was the best of the 3.

Last edited by ZUK; 12-08-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM
ZUK

Here's the Alt belt....pretty damn rough

Alt belt was also almost split in 2....almost had 2 separate belts turning the alternator This belt felt BRITTLE.

The AC belt.....yikes....chunks missing on the edges. It was pretty rough. The belt felt very brittle and burnt....imagine that.

The AC belt also was on its way to separating into 2 belts.
I think I got my moneys worth out of these 3 belts.........
That concludes my belt test and I am totally impressed with the quality and longevity of the oem belts.

All 3 were original 2001 belts(16 years old) and had 207,000 miles on them. Not bad.

Last edited by ZUK; 08-08-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 AM

Awesome info on the original belts. Any idea on what the timing belt might look like? Still original? How many miles on your rig?
PS. - LOVE the rear axle housing modification!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 AM
ZUK

The fan belts did see liberal coatings of belt dressing spray at sporadic intervals and that may have allowed them to last as long as they did. 16 years and 207,900 miles is getting my moneys worth out of those 3 belts for sure.

Timing belt...still original....208,000 miles and counting. I bought the 01 Taco with 72k on it and I know the old timer I bought it from really didn't have to do a thing to it.
No visual what the timing belt looks like. I like surprises though. I bet when I get around to it and decide to take a looksie I bet it looks pretty good. It's in a more sealed environment and should fair pretty good. I have a cryo treated Timing belt on standby.

Now, the question that enters my mind.....We all know timing CHAINS stretch with time/miles.....but do timing BELTSs stretch in the same way? Enough to affect engine performance?

The REAR Harrop elocker is still on the boat I understand (checked on it yesterday).

I think the rear 3rd mod is kinda nifty too Working out pretty good so far.

Last edited by ZUK; 12-19-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:10 AM
ZUK

Hey Stace-
I have a pair of 9.5" 529 Nitros heading my way. With my highway driving habits, I figure 529 and 35" is more my cup of tea.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Right on ZUK!
Give me a text if you'd like some help. Lord knows I still owe you big time!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 PM
ZUK

Thanks for offering help. I probably have it under control though. This just arrived now.
I'm waiting on the rear Harrop elocker still.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SAS FJ60 with axle housing flip and front shackle for my 2001 Tacoma