My tan 87 2wd was stolen - YotaTech Forums

Introductions & New Arrivals A place for new members to introduce themselves

My tan 87 2wd was stolen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

My tan 87 2wd was stolen

Hi All,
I have been lurking here since the summer when I bought my truck. My tan 1987 2wd pickup was stolen from outside my house in Durham NC last weekend. I would appreciate anyone in the southeast keeping a look out for it. It's got some cosmetic rust where the panel are dinged up, a Perma Guard drop in bed liner, NC plate EMJ 6137.

This doesn't seem like a good theft target, its too beat to have much parts value . Also I would have thought the combination of manual transmission and difficulty cold starting would have made it too much hassle for some kid to take.
Attached Thumbnails
My tan 87 2wd was stolen-truck.jpg   My tan 87 2wd was stolen-truck_front.jpg   My tan 87 2wd was stolen-truckback.jpg  

Last edited by asmasm; 12-05-2017 at 06:47 AM.
asmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

Ugh, not sure there's anything like the feeling of knowing you parked your truck *right there*, and now it's gone.

Mine was stolen up in Providence, RI a few years ago and the guy that brought it back says he saw my 'stolen 4Runner' craigslist posts about it. I posted in multiple states around RI a few times a day for a week. It was stressful, but I was so relieved when I got the call. You have a distinctive-enough truck with those decals and rear bumper. Hopefully that a**hole is gently joy-riding it and you'll see it again when it runs out of gas.
gsp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

The guy who stole your truck brought it back? Or did someone buy it and returned it to you once they realized it was stolen? Posting on craigslist is a good idea, i'll try that. So far I have been watching ebay and Craigslist for trucks and parts.

Last edited by asmasm; 12-05-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

I think the guy who brought it back either knew who stole it or did it himself. He claims he was a car flipper who checks craigslist every day and later saw my truck in an open container at the shipping yards bound for Mexico. It might be true, but I was skeptical because the guy looked like a junkie and asked for $600 and that no cops get involved. He actually sent his girlfriend to sweep the area for cops in a Civic before pulling down the street in my truck! The story was that the owner of the shipping yard wanted me to have my stolen property back, but needed to recoup his purchase fee. Sound legit? I didn't think so, either but didn't have much choice.

The reason I didn't try to take control of the situation was that I knew of organized crime rings in the area. If it was a gang, they knew exactly where my girl and I lived so I wasn't going to try and be a vigilante.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #5

My truck was just found on the side of the highway a mile up the road. I got it towed back and the ignition has been cut, cover has been smashed to pieces, and the upper column needs to be replaced since the wheel lock and turn signals no longer function. They also took the stereo, bent and broke the gas cover, and they took the battery. Once my wife gets home tonight I'm going to try starting it with the battery out of our daily driver. Hopefully the engine and transmission are fine.

The truck is filthy and there are bits of someone else's junk in the back.Im pretty bummed about the interior, prior to this, it was the nicest part of the car and looked very clean. No dash cracks, seats looked almost new. Also it looks like someone did a junk run in it? It was left in the rain with the windows down and its full of dust and water, I pulled the seats and brought them inside to dry. I might pull the carpet while its easy.

My repair list so far is:
*New upper steering column
*Rewire ignition
*New gas cap door
*New battery
*Replace head unit
*Install a kill switch when I wire the ignition
*install a cheap tracking unit <- feeling paranoid about this now.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

Really glad to see you got it back so quick. Sucks that they abused it, thieves almost always do something to stolen vehicle you wish they hadn't done, aside from stealing it. You actually got off pretty easy.

Here's the list of damage I was left with after forking over a $600 ransom:

1.) Driver and passenger windows removed (during a snow storm, so the truck was full of dense, wet snow).
2.) Interior front door panels snapped in half during window removal.
3.) Decals scraped off with a razor blade down to the sheet metal.
4.) Head unit and speakers were stolen as was the original tool kit, owner's manual with maintenance records since the mid-90's, riveted-on ID and specification tags (fortunately they left the dash VIN plate!), side view mirrors, shifter boot, wiper arms, tow hooks, gas tank skid plate, front valance and front leaf spring nuts. The leaf spring bolts are seized in the spring eyes, which I think prevented the truck from being chopped to pieces.
5.) 31" bfg a/t's on American Racing Outlaw 1 rims replaced with UV-cracked, generic 30" a/t's on rusty d-window steelies.
6.) Rattle-canned the entire engine bay, bumper and grille semi-gloss black.

The things we do for our Toyotas...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #7

Yep, I feel like i got off light here. Could have been wrecked, or like in your case some jackass could have painted it to try and hide it's origin.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Now anytime I park in a city or overnight in an unfamiliar area, I put an auto-lock on the clutch pedal. It's a good deterrent and every little thing helps.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

Good news!
SomedayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Glad you got it back.
Were they able to start by bypassing ignition?
Aside from mechanical theft-deterrent, I strongly-recommend adding several hidden electrical ones.
Thieves can bring tools that quickly break mechanical theft deterrent
They learn how to defeat off-the-shelf/commercial alarms in Chapter 1, auto-theft 101
However, multiple custom electrical kill switches will take more time to find and defeat. Take it a step further by wiring each kill-switch so horn sounds when it's armed and perp tries to start the truck (look who's talking-LOL!). Costs less than commercial alarm.
RAD4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #11

I'm waiting for my wife to get home tonight to use the battery out of our daily to try to start it. I have a half dead battery sitting on a trickle charger but my multimeter is dead and I'm not sure if it has the voltage. The thieves also took the positive battery terminal just to make this an extra pain in the ass.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4life View Post
Now anytime I park in a city or overnight in an unfamiliar area, I put an auto-lock on the clutch pedal. It's a good deterrent and every little thing helps.
I'm going to buy one of those, can you recommend me one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner View Post
Glad you got it back.
However, multiple custom electrical kill switches will take more time to find and defeat. Take it a step further by wiring each kill-switch so horn sounds when it's armed and perp tries to start the truck (look who's talking-LOL!). Costs less than commercial alarm.
I'd like to ask you a step by step/write up about that, but we can't do that thread public
SomedayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #13

RAD4runner is correct about the locks being defeatable, but the appearance of one in your truck will cut down on the amount of people equipped to steal it. Here's the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Unknown-The-UNBREAKABLE-AutoLock-X/dp/B0007ZAJQ8

I've been meaning to wire up a couple kill switches but haven't gotten around to it yet. Someday soon, I hope.