Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

What did you do instead of Yota Jam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What did you do instead of Yota Jam?

I planned on going up to Rock Island campground above Leavenworth Wa. but couldn't find tag alongs. So decided to go on local trails to find a private camping spot. Well due to the regions fire danger they have shut down every trail I know. Heres a pic of what I ran into. So I decided instead of sitting at home bored I would just go earn my $9 an hour being the bouncer that I am. <~~~ Im white though!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do instead of Yota Jam?-frikkin-rain-please.jpg  
Old 08-02-2003, 04:59 PM

Unhappy Another pic of Blue

I hate summer for the reason of them closing down trails here.:cry:
Attached Thumbnails What did you do instead of Yota Jam?-road-closed-sign-blue.jpg  
Old 08-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Since I knew last week I could not atttend, I went on a little shopping spree at REI Friday, and I'm kicking back today, and getting my camping gear consolidated into smaller containers.

Going up to Greenwater a few weekends from now for a few nights, and will be camped right on the river in this spot from '01
Old 08-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I just went up and drove around the Greenwater area trying out my latest GPS setup.

Went up FS 70, then 7030, 7034, 7036, 7038 and a few short detours on other side roads. Temp was OK, but it was dusty.

Anyone headed up FS 70 in the next couple of weeks should note that it is closed for a culvert replacement (@ Pyramid Cr. 10 miles from Hwy 410 if I remember right), until sometime later this month.

Heard some of the Yotatech guys on the CB somewhere on the Naches Trail, so I'm sure we'll hear from them in a day or two.

Pretty tame stuff for me since I was by myself, although there were a few other people out driving around or camping. Worst part was the washboards in a couple of spots. Hit them to fast and had a scary moment wondering if I was going to get slowed down first or go off the road (and maybe down the side of the mtn.). Significant loss of control and braking effectiveness when the wheels are bouncing up and down like mad!

My new Garmin GPS 16 mounted on the roof rack worked much better than my Etrex or a re-radiating antenna mounted on the dash. The GPS 16 looks kind of like a hockey puck (no display, etc.) and is meant for use with a PC or similar. It doesn't do much but transmit the position, etc. on RS-232. It starts when you power it so it works well for dedicated vehicle use; no messing around with turning the GPS on and off. The ExpertGPS software I'm using at the moment has about the right features for moving map, but it always craps out after running for a few hours. Not sure if its the SW or Win 98 on my old laptop, but the combination seems to have problems working right for more than a couple of hours. It got so bad I had to remove the laptop batt. to shut it down. My next mod is most likely going to be a new computer setup as the old 233 Mhz laptop seems to be underpowered for some of what I'm trying to do.

GPS/PC navigation makes navigating that maze of roads pretty simple. Draw a route at home by looking at maps and aerial photos and follow it! (I always take my paper maps as backup in case something fails.)

Alan
Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Alan, that is cool you got to go up today, and also hear the YotaJam guy's on the CB.
See, not all was lost on the Jam, a few still got out to have fun.

I was tempted to go up where you were today, but I had things to do, and the youngest drove his car over today about noon.

Hey, that site I will be at in a few weeks, here are the cords.
N 47 06 592
W 121 28 833

I tried inputting it again into my Topo software, and it's tripping on the last #s again.
They can't be over 60, so I give up trying to make a map.
I even changed the software settings, but it's still choking on it.

It's really to bad GPS can't have a universal standard, instead of all these different type of readings.
It sucks, as I simply don't have the time or patience to mess with it.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,

Try N 47 deg 06.592 minutes, W 121 deg 28.833 minutes. That puts you on FS 70 a little ways E of the 7030 turnoff.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Alan.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp/camp_spot.jpg

I still can't get the maps sized right though.
There are to many bells and whistles in the TOPO software

I had just the camp area marked out on the grid, and when I copied it and then pasted it to my favorite pix software, a much larger area comes out.

Oh well, I don't work with this stuff daily, so I'm pretty much a newb at GPS stuff

PS, if you look on the map, you will see Greenpass.
I think that is the road several of us were on last year when we explored up higher.
A guy in a full size truck told us that road will take you clear to Stampeed pass by Snoq., and looking at the map here it looks like it will.

I want to run that this year before the snow flies up there.
Maybe in Sept, or before.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Since I knew last week I could not atttend, I went on a little shopping spree at REI Friday, and I'm kicking back today, and getting my camping gear consolidated into smaller containers.

Going up to Greenwater a few weekends from now for a few nights, and will be camped right on the river in this spot from '01
Many 4wd and land use groups are boycotting REI as corporately that are major supporters of whacko environmental groups. If you're going to spend money on camping stuff, stay away from REI. That profit is going bad places...
Old 08-02-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Hey, that site I will be at in a few weeks, here are the cords.
N 47 06 592
W 121 28 833

I tried inputting it again into my Topo software, and it's tripping on the last #s again.
They can't be over 60, so I give up trying to make a map.
I even changed the software settings, but it's still choking on it.

It's really to bad GPS can't have a universal standard, instead of all these different type of readings.
It sucks, as I simply don't have the time or patience to mess with it.
go to www.jeeep.com and they have a plugin to convert from one coordinate standard to another
Old 08-02-2003, 09:16 PM

We had a run at Evans Creek. In attendance were Seafarinman, Bouncertime from the ZR2 group, Deathcougar and his sidekicks, and Mpampo. It was a pretty good time, but I sustained some body damage on the 198 trail (Black Diamond). I sustained a broken left rear Bushwacker flare, and damage from my roofrack being ripped off the roof while filled with camping gear on a serious off camber section where my Thule bars struck a tree. Bouncertime sustained damage to his rear bumper (peeled off the right lower corner of his foil bumper) on his 2001 Chevy Blazer ZR2, and pretty well ripped off his lower valance on the front bumper. It was overall a good trip. My sliders proved their worth on the tight trails. Pictures are to follow when I get some sleep finally... :cry:
Old 08-03-2003, 12:53 AM
mpampo

You guys are NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm still shakin' from those tight turns.
Damn! That's freaking insane. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as the Elbe Run. I was thinking I would get some side damage from there. That's freaking SICK! I'm still scared $#!+less. My daughter had a blast, she was a good navigator/spotter. Those of camber spots were just freaking scary, I tought a few times I would slide into them trees. Whew!
I feel somehow confident now knowing what my 4Runner can do besides take my daughter to cheerleading practices and running groceries at Freddie's. Wow! Yeah...... Wow! All I can say is nice wheeling with you all.

Oh how about that White Dodge Dakota, that dude seems like his girl gave him a foot up his arse. Lucky him he didn't go don't the cliff. I too, got picture of it.

I have at least 50 or more pics from this run. I just need to post it over to a photo site.
I have the video of Jimmy in the ZR2 coming that incline. That was insane, I thought there for a while he would flip it but man, that was impresive. Thanks again to all for showing up. Oh yeah I knew my truknutz would not have made it through. :-)

I'll post the pictures 2morrow.

IN"freakin"SANE,

- Manuel
mpampo@yahoo.com
Old 08-03-2003, 06:43 AM

I can't wait to see your pics guys and hopefully a nice write up. 198 is a little tight :o)

Given the mods and models of trucks you guys took through I sent out a hearty congrats for even getting all the rigs through 198!

I hope ya'll bring some spare panties next time. Sounds like ya mighta needed them! LOL
Old 08-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I am going to be going to Reiter today (Sunday) if anyone wants to come along, please do, find me on chanel 4 ill be there about 1pm or so, and dont want to wheel alone!
Old 08-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Lets see, what did I do this weekend? Well, it was the strangest thing! I thought I'd wander over to where the Yotajam was going to be held, until it got suddenly cancelled. Oddly enough, I ran into about 8 other yotatech members that also happened to be riding around that area. In order to conserve space, we decided to hang out/camp in the same spot, and go wheeling. Even though it was definitely NOT AN ORGANIZED EVENT (one of the reasons the yotajam was apparently cancelled), we still managed to hasseled a bit by two Sheriffs while we were out on the Naches trail. They were actually pretty cool once they realized that we were wheeling responsibly and safely, but they were definitely on the look out for a huge group of Toyotas.

We had a fantastic time wheeling and camping in spite of it all.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:19 PM

Post Frikkin Rangers Tattled

I bet those Naches Rangers advised the local Deputies to be on the look out for TOYOTAS instead of enforcing their doing on their own. I was reading on another site where there is an club of offroaders in the Naches Valley. Those Rangers probally belong to that group or simply favor them over outsiders. The Troopers & Deputies in Central Wa. have been said to having plans on watcing over trial heads. They have been said to call into the Rangers if any vehicles go offroad. There is one area called Clear Lake and that has been trashed with litter by high school aged kids that party up there. They planned on pinning the fines for the trash on anyone caught in the area while it is closed due to fire danger. I was followed by a Trooper while heading up to check another popular offroading area. While climbing up through the residental area my radar detector started freaking out. I looked in my rear view and woop woop there he was half a mile back and clsing in. Thats when I stopped at the trail head hoping he would come up so I could get him in some of my pics of my Runner. Why can't they go bust crackheads or pull "ricers" over, I only want to enjoy myself.:cry:
Old 08-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Lets see, what did I do this weekend? Well, it was the strangest thing! I thought I'd wander over to where the Yotajam was going to be held, until it got suddenly cancelled. Oddly enough, I ran into about 8 other yotatech members that also happened to be riding around that area. In order to conserve space, we decided to hang out/camp in the same spot, and go wheeling. Even though it was definitely NOT AN ORGANIZED EVENT (one of the reasons the yotajam was apparently cancelled), we still managed to hasseled a bit by two Sheriffs while we were out on the Naches trail. They were actually pretty cool once they realized that we were wheeling responsibly and safely, but they were definitely on the look out for a huge group of Toyotas.

We had a fantastic time wheeling and camping in spite of it all.
It was an odd coincidence seeing you and the others over there. I mean, what are the odds of my coming over Chinook Pass, and spotting Eric sitting along the edge of 410? Then it just got stranger when I pulled into the place I had planned on camping at and there were a few other folks I had met before It was even MORE strange to see no other trucks on the Naches Pass Trail, but to bump into you guys again... life is strange that way. Of course, it was good to sit around the glow-stick campfire with everyone and to tell raunchy jokes at the Forest Circus' expense.

I will forever have that image of Gene wandering around camp in that damned loin cloth forever ingrained into my brain... Some things you just can't unsee...

I was especially impressed with how the Forest Circus squandered thousands of dollars of the tax payers money by having a small army of rangers and deputy's crawling around looking for an event that had been cancelled. It would appear there is no minimum IQ requirement to become a ranger, just a love of bureaucracy. Then, when they FINALLY figured out where we were, the cowards sent the Sheriff in to talk to us. Of course, the Sheriff found out, as other districts of Forest Circus have for the past several years, we are responsible, law abiding and genrally pretty good guys. The Sheriff left with a smile on both of occasions that we chatted with them.

I have an interesting theory... Did anyone notice that there were a lot of large groups out there and none of them seem to be attracting any attention? Did you notice that ours was the only group that was not lily white? I can't help but wonder why the only group with a mix of races, religions, vehicles, sober, etc., was the only group they picked on.

Last edited by WATRD; 08-03-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:04 PM

I went to see Steely Dan at the Gorge. It was a realy cool concert!
Old 08-03-2003, 08:59 PM

i found a 86 4 runner for 500 bucks...its in almost new condition and just screaming for me to put its older bro's suspension on it!

im picking it up as soon as i get rid of my nova, thats my parents only thing.

cant wait to get started building the beast thoug!!

wade
Old 08-03-2003, 09:47 PM
mpampo

I posted pictures of the Evan's Creek run last Saturday August 02, here is the web page.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EnjoyDaRideTRD/

- Manuel
Old 08-03-2003, 09:50 PM
mpampo

I posted pictures of the Evan's Creek run last Saturday August 02, here is the web page.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EnjoyDaRideTRD/

- Manuel

Quick Reply: What did you do instead of Yota Jam?