Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

South Dakota Badlands

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Dakota Badlands

ok, so my friend and i are going to be going on a short road trip this summer to the South Dakota Badlands. on the way we'll probably be stoping at Devils tower. and of course, since we'll be so close, we'll probably end up stopping at Mt. Rushmore. i was just wondering if any of you guys have been to the badlands and what exactly there is to do around there. i'll be driving and hopefully by then, i'll have about a 3" lift, so any cool trails would be awsome. do any know if there are any trails int he badlands state park? or any over night backpacking trails?

im having a little bit of a hard time finding very good info about the place. we'll probably take 2 days to drive there. we live in the seattle area and will be driving to the billings/big timber area in Montana and find a camping area there. the second day, we'll drive from there to devils tower and then to the badlands. but we'll probably be in badlands for about 3 or 4 days and then just take one long day to drive back home. but we need something to do in those 3 or 4 days!!!! any ideas guys??? thanks!!

KEVIN
Old 04-21-2004, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are aome good off-road trails in western SD, but the badlands is all protected so it's all pavement driving. I'll see if I can find trail write-ups for the SD stuff. I used to go out there so often I know the roads and trails by sight, not by number, but if I can't find a write up I'll grab a map and figure out directions for you. BTW, Badlands is probably just a day of drive-through scenery, although Custer State Park is close and worth a visit too.