Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mainland Mexico by way of Baja Peninsula ferry

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mainland Mexico by way of Baja Peninsula ferry

Que Onda Amigos,

So a little over a year ago I went on a roadtrip through Mainland Mexico and loved it so much that I decided to go to school there for a while. I'm going back sometime in the next few weeks, but this time I want to drive the Baja Peninsula and ferry the truck across to Los Mochis or Mazatlan, rather than go out to Arizona and down Sonora.

So my question: has anybody taken that ferry from La Paz or Santa Rosalia to the mainland. Which leg would you recommend. La Paz-Mazatlan costs a little more, but I figure I will save some on those expensive toll roads (Tobolabambo to Mazatlan is probably like $40). That is another point, I figure in what I would have spent on toll-roads in Sonora and Sinaloa I will just about pay for the ferry ride.

Secondly, I haven not driven that far into Baja in almost 10 years, and would be interested in seeing something cool. I'm open to recommendations. I have done a lot of surfing up and down the peninsula, but would be interested in a mission, a national park or some cave dweller ruins. I rarely leave the coast and want to expand my horizons.

Thanks all,

Paul