Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)

Who wants to do Death Valley this year? Late March seems like the popular time to go. Last year's Yotatech trip is pretty much what I have in mind...meeting other Toyota enthusiasts, sight-seeing, taking photos, looking at mining reminants, and of course, four wheeling. Anyone?

Amended by Good Times

Dates: March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday) plus or minus

Itinerary:
23-Thursday
Arrive and sleep at PSR campground or lodge

24 Friday
Meet at PSR 8:45am - 9:00am
Stop 1: Depart from Shell Station at 9:15am
Stop 2: Depart from Ballarat at 10:00am
Run Pleasant Canyon or Lookout Mountain, sleep at PSR. (Not 2wd friendly - please buddy up for this run with a 4wd vehicle)

25 Saturday
Meet at PSR 9:15am - 9:45am
Depart from Shell Station at 10:00am
We can do Lippencott/Racetrack/maybe even Teakettle/Ubehebe and return to PSR via Lippencott, or preferrably we could do Darwin Falls/Lippencott/Racetrack then back to PSR via Lippencott. If we do then it means an extra night at PSR for those camping there. Again, spaces go fast that time of year! (prerunner friendly)

26 Sunday
Goler Wash/Mengal Pass, sleep B/C somewhere in Butte Valley Sunday night (maybe we’ll find an empty Adopt-A-Cabin??) (prerunner friendly)

27 Monday
Exit Butte Valley via Warm Canyon Rd./Westside Rd. and head to Furnace Creek via many attractions (probably not enough time to do them all, though): Eagle Borax Works, Badwater, Devils Golf Course, Artist Drive/Palette (if open by then), Mustard Canyon and Salt Creek, run part of Echo Canyon trail to Eye of the Needle or maybe even up to the dry fall and bang up our trucks), the FC Visitors Center, set up camp or check in hotels, etc. Group dinner at the restaurant?

28 Tuesday
see whatever is left over from the previous day. Head home, passing thru Stovepipe Wells for those that want to see Grotto Canyon and Mosaic Canyon and maybe even The Sand Dunes.

Communications:
CB = Channel 16
FRS = TBA (This will be a back solution for those w/o CB's. CB's are highly recommended.)

Please email goodtimes (at) chaosedition.com or pm "Good Times" with your contact info (name, username, phone number, email address). Once completed, a follow up email will be sent so everyone with this list.

Pot Luck Dinner:
Saturday March 25 at the PSR Camp Site. Please bring ample food to cover a few additional members outside of your party. Don't forget to bring your own chairs/tables/utensils/drinks!

Directions:
To Panamint Springs Resort (PSR)

Driving From Las Vegas (175 miles)
From 15 Freeway, just south of Las Vegas, take Highway 160 West to Pahrump. Just 3 miles past the intersection with Highway 372, turn left on Highway 210, called 'State Line Road,' and proceed 27 miles to Death Valley Junction.

At Death Valley Junction, highlighted by the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, make a quick "right-and-a-left" on Highway 190 toward Death Valley and Furnace Creek. Remain West on Highway 190 for 93 miles to Panamint Springs Resort, passing Dante's View, Zabriskie Point, Furnace Creek, the Sand Dunes, and Stovepipe Wells Village.

Driving From Los Angeles (235 miles)
From the 5 Freeway North (Golden State Freeway), a few miles past its juncture with 405 Freeway, stay right for 14 Freeway North (Antelope Valley Freeway).

After 70 miles, passing Palmdale, Lancaster, and Rosamond, the 14 Freeway North continues on to become Main Street for the town of Mojave. At the end of town, turn right to remain on the Highway 14 North. After 40 miles, Highway 14 North merges and becomes Highway 395 North.

Continue another 45 miles to Olancha, turn right onto Highway 190 toward Death Valley.

The next 15 miles proceeds northeast along the shore of the once great Owens Lake, then merges with Highway 136, and continues east another 25 miles to Panamint Springs Resort.

Alternate Route:
If your coming via 395 take the Ridgecrest turn off from 395(It's well marked) and follow that into town. The first gas station you come to is a Shell (just outside of town) skip it, it's one of the most expensive in town. The next one is an Albertsons gas station just about a mile past the Shell station. This one is usually one of the two cheapest gas stations in town. After passing the Albertsons (you will be on China Lake BLVD, 395 turns into this as you enter town) you will go thru several intersections a couple of stop signs and a couple of lights. When you get to the intersection of China Lake BLVD and Ridgecrest BLVD (Bank of America on one corner, Denny's on the opposite) take a right on Ridgecrest BLVD heading East on 178 (this isn't very clearly marked in town) this will take you straight to Trona, about 28 miles (there is a gas station in Trona but I don't know what time it closes).

If your coming via 14, take the 178 turn off going East, NOT the 178 Lake Isabella turn off. You will hit Ridgecrest in about 12 miles (go thru Inyokern). When you get to the second stop light in Ridgecrest you will have to turn right(South) on to China Lake BLVD(just after the turn is a Shell station, but just past that on your right is a local station called One Stop, cheapest gas in town). Continue South untill you reach the intersection of China Lake BLVD and Ridgecrest BLVD(about 2.5 miles), turn left(East) on Ridgecrest BLVD and head out towards Trona.

Fill tank in Ridgecrest, then stay on 178 thru Trona and into Panamint Valley. About 9-10 miles past the turnoff to Ballarat (it will be on your right, but stay on the 178 a.k.a. Trona-Wildrose Rd.) you will turn left on to Panamint Valley Rd. and take that about another 10+ miles until it dead ends into the 190, make a left (going west) on the 190 and PSR is two miles up the road, campground on the right, resort and check-in on the left.

Things to Consider:
1. This is a family trip. As such, I’m sure it would be appreciated by most if not all of us that there not be any recreational drug use, drunken stupidity, lewd and crude behavior and language, gun play, fireworks, etc.
2. An entrance fee is required, and is expected to be paid when we are within a reasonable proximity to a NPS fee station. Unless some of you are passing thru DV on your way to the Friday meeting spot, the closest one will be in Furnace Creek when we get there. Those who don’t have an annual pass should expect to pay $20 (per their own vehicle) at that time.
3. There are restrictions on Overnight Group Camping and Campfires. Read this page for details.
4. This is not a professionally sponsored or organized trip. It is simply a shared itinerary for a gathering of people with a common interest, and who will probably be doing the same things for a certain period of time. All attendees understand and agree that they assume full responsibility for their own actions and vehicles, and agree to hold harmless any organizers, trail spotters, real or perceived, from any liability whatsoever.

Camping Location(s):
Thursday Night: PSR (Panamint Springs Resort)
Friday Night: PSR (Panamint Springs Resort)
Satruday Night: PSR (Panamint Springs Resort)
Sunday Night: Back Country
Monday Night: Furnce Creek

The "hotel" rooms at PSR are about 50-100 feet from the campground at PSR. Just a heads up, they are not AAA accomodations. If you mean the "adopt-a-cabins", they are spread out thru the Panamints and Death Valley, and are on a first-come, first serve basis, and will very likely already be occupied as it will be a busy time of year. We should be in the area of some if we b/c camp in Butte Valley area Sunday night, and can check them out anyways, JIC.

Those of you not staying Sunday night risk the chance of being pretty far into the trail by Sunday afternoon/evening, and will either have to backtrack or finish the trail to Badwater and take the pavement all the way back. As the Goler Wash/Mengel Pass/Butte Valley trail isn't difficult, it shouldn't be very tough to run some portion of it in the dark, as long as you tracked the trail with your GPS and are with another vehicle.

PSR Campground Info:
PSR's campgrounds are the only campgrounds in the entire national park with shower facilities for the guests, there are toilets and water, and firepits, however, only a quarter of the sites currently have benches, and these are "grab-n-growl", or first come, first served...Reservations can be made on line at www.deathvalley.com, or by phone at 1-775-482-7680... Click on "Reserve Your Room Online", then click on Online Reservations with the yellow icon on the left side of the page. When you reserve, you will be prompted for RV site, tent site, etc. $15/day for four people. Additional people are $2.50 each. I do not know what the max. # of people are, though. I reserved tent site #20, so try to get adjacent sites if possible. I'll also be sleeping in my truck, so I think the site will accomodate two trucks and a tent.

Panamint Springs Resort is a pretty cool place to hang at. It is low key. It is not a zoo like Stovepipe or Furnace Creek. The accomodations aren't AAA, but the people are good folk, the restaurant food is good, there is a bar, and the location is great for our itinerary.

I'm pretty sure there is decent back country camping close by, so please don't anybody panic if the campground gets full and you don't have reservations. That would be off the 178 Hwy. south of 190, 'bout 5 miles or so from PSR, and it would be on BLM land and not on NPS property. We can fine tune the details on that down the road.

Attendees:
DealMaker (Pierre | 04 4runner 4x4) - Thurs - Sat Morning (PSR Tent #20) (Received Contact Info)
chiefiji (Henry | 04 4runner 4x4) - weekend (PSR Tent #17) (Received Contact Info)
Paddlenbike (Ken +1 | 00 4runner 4x4) - entire length (PSR Tent #18) (Received Contact Info)
Good Times (Lance +1 | 03 4runner 4x4) - fri nt to tues afternoon (PSR Tent #20) (Received Contact Info)
Bob98SR5 (Bob +1 | 98 4runner 4x4) - fri nt to sun (PSR Tent #19) (Received Contact Info)
Bob98SR5's Neighbor (Glenn & Daniela) - fri nt to sun (PSR Tent #19) (Received Contact Info)
rizzoss669 (Ross +3 | 98 4runner) - fri nt to mon morning/midday (PSR Tent near #20) (Received Contact Info)
Calrockx (Charles | 02 4runner 4x4) - fri nt to sun (PSR Tent #24) (Received Contact Info)
Expat (Mark | 04 4runner 4x4) - fri nt to mon evening (PSR Tent #??) (Received Contact Info)
ebelen1 (Edwin | 99 4runner) - fri nt to sat nt (PSR Tent #??)
Scottiac (Scott +1 and 2 dogs| 97 4runner) - entire length (PSR Tent #??) (Received Contact Info)
04sport4x4 (John +3 | 05 4runner 4x4) - fri night to mon afternoon (PSR Tent #??) (Received Contact Info)
dfireballd (Ryan +1 | 02 Tacoma 4x4) - thurs noon to tues noon (PSR Tent #28) (Received Contact Info)
SpikeStrip (Alf +1 | 99 4runner 4x4) - fri nt to sun (PSR Tent #??) (Received Contact Info)
BruceTS (Bruce | 99 4runner 4x4) - fri nt to tues (PSR Ten #??) (Received Contact Info)
VerticalToy

Maybe
Bulldog-yota - weekend
MeinPapa

Last edited by Good Times; 03-21-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
paddle,

aw, heck yeah! and i know this time i can convince the spousal unit to go if we plan it ahead of time. she really was bummed she didnt go to see the flowers last year

count me in, pending the right dates

bob
Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
humm maybe take the drive down there.. i am on spring break March 13-17... so i might be down if the dates are right.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 AM

I am definitely interested. How long of a deal would it have to be? Getting off work is not the best idea. We are also going to Australia around that time, so hopefully it wouldn't conflict.

Definitely interested.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 AM

Past trips have been around 5 days, which sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might be able to join for a couple of days pending how things work out and time off at work.

Pierre is also planning a trip around that time. Would perhaps be good to consolidate. He was there more recently and can give a better update on trail conditions. It seems a few of the trails have had quite a bit of damage with rains after we where there last.
Edit: Should have linked Pierre's thread

This time we should probably plan to camp out in the backcountry for a day or 2 to avoid the very long driving days.

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 01-03-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Definitely interested. Would prefer the backcountry option or partly backcountry if we really plan it out, can do either.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm in, pending dates.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Well, all the fun at Goler Wash was repaired about a month ago. It has been bladed, graded, filled, etc. and is now a freeway. I believe other trails from the Panamint side were in line for the same treatment. Of course that's all subject to undoing if the right storm comes along. I did kinda drop the ball over the holidays on the trip-planning but a consolidation is a great idea, as is the idea of back country camping and exploring mines and such.

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
I might be able to join for a couple of days pending how things work out and time off at work.

Pierre is also planning a trip around that time. Would perhaps be good to consolidate. He was there more recently and can give a better update on trail conditions. It seems a few of the trails have had quite a bit of damage with rains after we where there last.
Edit: Should have linked Pierre's thread

This time we should probably plan to camp out in the backcountry for a day or 2 to avoid the very long driving days.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:53 PM

I am getting excited about this already; glad to see the interest level is there.

If anyone needs some encouragement, just look at these photos:
http://www.echo29.com/deathvalley80s/pages/254_5489.htm

Old 01-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks alot of fun. DV is one of the places i want to get to. i hope the dates line up right so i am on spring break and can make it.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 AM

im interested. any other 2w going?
mmm desert camping
Old 01-05-2006, 02:47 PM

^^^
I was worried that my Michelin LTX MS tires would not hold up on an off-road trip, but after looking at last years photos, the roads/trails looked pretty mild.

I am starting to prepare for this trip now.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I'd love to try to do this trip as well. Just checkin w/ the other half on the date best for her and go from there. Hopefully we'll all be able to go

Good Times!! woo hoo!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Tentative Yes dates for me will be mar24/25 - mar 27/28. Of course this can change but 24 - 31 looks good to me but I'd like to keep my days off during the week to a minimum.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Well, hopefully she'll be able to attend this time. I'd hate to see you spend two days again with a cell phone in your hand trying to get a signal...

Originally Posted by Good Times
I'd love to try to do this trip as well. Just checkin w/ the other half on the date best for her and go from there. Hopefully we'll all be able to go

Good Times!! woo hoo!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DealMaker
Well, hopefully she'll be able to attend this time. I'd hate to see you spend two days again with a cell phone in your hand trying to get a signal...

whatcha talkin about p.... btw whatcha tryin to start something huh

btw you gonna be your better half this time? would be nice if we can make this a family thing though...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:05 PM

My calendar is open. No one has complained about the weather or temperatures during these late March trips, so late March sounds great to me.

Let's get the ball rolling. For those that have gone in years past, what would you do again and what would you skip?

Goler Wash looks cool. I would like to see mining artifacts, I love taking photos, so interesting scenery areas sound good, and of course wheeling will be half the fun. Some combination of these would satisfy me greatly.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

I'd like to hit some pretty scenic stuff if possible. Offroading trails will be fun but lookin at the nature itself would be awesome! Exploring would be ideal...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

I will watch this for dates. Have use or loose leave(vacation) on the books and would like a long trip. As long as nobody has to die in "death valley"

Quick Reply: Death Valley 2006 : March 24 (Friday) – March 28 (Tuesday)