Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

2009 Pismo Jamboree

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, now I don't know because I just wrecked my truck.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
myself in my 95 4runner and my uncle in his 85 or 86?? turbo truck will be there. still trying to get my friend and his 85 straight axle to take off work to go and possibly some of my uncles friends are going. cant wait. been wanting to go for over a year!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Squeebs
Well, now I don't know because I just wrecked my truck.
Wait,...What?!!!

Originally Posted by ObeY4runner
myself in my 95 4runner and my uncle in his 85 or 86?? turbo truck will be there. still trying to get my friend and his 85 straight axle to take off work to go and possibly some of my uncles friends are going. cant wait. been wanting to go for over a year!
Sweet! I'll get you and your uncle's rigs added to the list. Just let me know as you find out about the others. (just trying to keep a good idea of how many we're going to get )
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM

one more week hells yes, just got my TG shackles too so i cant wait
Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

I was just out there today for a dune cleanup and the sand is already smoothing out some from the busy summer. It's going to be LEGENDARY!

For those that want clam chowder for Sat. night, you only have a few days left to put in your order. I think Tues. night is the deadline and then I have to put the order in. So order your dang chowder!

Click here to order delicious Splash Cafe chowder

Remember, when you checkout, you have to option to pay now with CC or paypal, or you can choose to pay with cash/check at the beach. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Just got this from the guys at Overland Warehouse. Huge thanks for sponsoring and participating in the jambo!

http://overlandwarehouse.com would like to announce that we are proud sponsors of the 2009 Pismo Jamboree.

We will be giving away a number of products in raffles including an air compressor, recovery equipment and sodas.

Come visit us at our booth on the beach at Pismo this weekend. Get a free raffle ticket for great prizes and score a cool drink.

Regards
Mark Briotn-Jones and Andries Engelbrecht
Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM

how long does it take to air up a tire with compressor?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

If you're talking about that compressor, I think it says on their site. I believe that one is best for 33" tires and under.

http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...sor/Detail.bok
Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Well, I'm not going.

Doesn't make sense to pay for gas/food/etc... and use my mom's tacoma when I should be taking as much stuff off of my wrecked truck as I can so I can get some money saved for another truck.

This blows, I'm really bummed. Maybe even depressed. :-(

I was hella looking forward to meeting you all, too.

Next year, I guess.

Last edited by Squeebs; 09-24-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

bummer man! There's always surf n turf in Nov. too
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

We'll be there about 10 am tomorrow. See you there!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM

sqeebs...come on...one weekend then you can do other stuff...man i know you want to go...i will help feed you and what are your beer requirements....? lol...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM

trip ended on a sour note for me, basically on saturday i had to tow my friends fully loaded 05 quad cab taco with 33" mt's and some performance mods with my stock runner. he got stuck several times and on the last one, he was stuck so deep that i fried my centerforce dual friction clutch trying to get him out. i was stranded for about 10 mins before a group of guys from the toyota120 forum helped me out and towed me to the main camp. i then had to get it towed to my friends house in slo. the next morning my dad and uncle came down with our suburban and towed my runner all the way back up to san francisco. im short on money so i cant get another replacemtn centerforce so i gotta get a stock replacement. i was sooo stressed out about how i was gunna get home on saturday that i didnt even buy a shirt and sticker hahahahahaha but if anyone is a memebr of the toyota120 forum then tell the guys that i said thanks for the tow and that i found thier walky talky under my seat today, i was so stressed out i forgot to give it back to them. but the good thing is that the runner is gunna be back up and running around 12 tomorrow

ps i was the only two door 2nd gen runner there hahhaa and got some looks when i was driving arounf the main camp areas
heres a pic of the runner

Last edited by 70elcoss; 09-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 PM

Dude i totally forgot the jamboree was this weekend! I was gonna drive down on saturday, i can't believe i forgot!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

70elcross, sorry to hear about your clutch problems, that sucks! I'm glad you were able to get it off the beach and home without too much hassle.

I'm bummed I didn't get a chance to check out your 2door, I saw you roll into camp and was planning on checking it out. Just didn't make it over before you had to take it out to slo.

PM me your email addy/contact info as so I can pass it on to Jon (Unionjack on toyota120), as I believe that was his radio. He's in or near San Fran too.

I'll do a trip report/thank you's in a little bit, once I'm fully awake. I got home about 9pm last night from making a second trip back to the dunes to get my van.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Ok I sent you my contact info but I'll def shoot you a message next time I'm down in slo. I had a great time prior to the clutch incident Hahahahaa
Old 09-29-2009, 04:02 AM

I'm glad your clutch burned out and your buddy got stuck.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Where are everyone else's pics?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry this has taken so long to get around to doing, I had a lot of catching up to do for stuff I've been neglecting while getting this event ready.

First off I want to thank my wife April for putting up with all this (especially considering our 6th wedding anniversary was that weekend). Lance for all his help, doing the website, designing the tees, stickers, etc.., Bruce for holding down the fort on Thursday night and his help throughout the event, Bob and Dan for their help at the booth, Masa and group for feeding Me and Lance (I don't think we would have stopped to eat had it not been for you making us stop), Becky and Jason for going with me to get the chowder and helping serve it, Milton, Leo, and Marlon for taking professional pics throughout the event, the tundra stop guys for helping me bag up all the raffle prizes at the last minute, and everyone else who lent a helping hand throughout the weekend. I think I could go on forever, so many people helped out!

Next is a HUGE THANKS to all our sponsors, without their generous support, this event would have been impossible to pull off. Be sure to remember these sponsors when it comes time to mod your rig. I want to give a special thanks to those sponsors who were able to come out and participate in the event. Overland Warehouse, Machine Fab, Roxie Market and Deli, TundraStop, and Rolling Big Power all had a presence out there. Thanks for your support and coming out to play!

Last but not least, I want to thank everyone who came out and participated! From what I saw, everyone behaved themselves and went home safe (some rigs might not have been the same afterwards but everyone was safe). J It was great to see everyone, and I hope you all had as much fun as I did. Thanks so much for picking up after yourselves when it was time to go home. There was one site that we had to pick up after, but other than that, everyone else left it cleaner than they found it.

Enough with the mushy stuff, here are some of my highlights:

1. Meeting some really cool people, making new friends, and getting to hang out with old friends. It was a really cool group of people out there!
2. The GPS Game, I had fun setting it up, and I hope everyone who participated in it enjoyed it. You should have got a decent tour of the dunes by doing the whole thing and probably burned up a decent amount of fuel as well ( I know I did). Haha! We will have it again next year, make it better, and change it up some. Expect harder challenges at the gps points and have your digital cameras ready. J
3. The tech seminars: these got a little messed up due to having a major recovery going on right during the time that these were supposed to happen. Thanks to Bruce and Lance though for still finding time to give quite a few people instructions and watching them plug holes in my old trailer tire. There actually were quite a few small tech seminars during a few recoveries and some in camp while people were trying to fix their rigs. One in particular happened during the night run and would have been much harder without all the demo gear from HiLift and Powertank. It made for a nice mini tech seminar and showed how nice it can be to have the right tools for the job.
4. The group photo was really cool to see (although some people just cant’ get up that early), we still had almost 50 rigs show up for the 9am photo. The corresponding jumpfest afterwards was fun, with Bruce giving the crowd a show with his leaning jump.
5. The raffle was amazing. We had some very generous vendors and had a ton of prizes to get through. Thanks to everyone for sticking with it and helping us get through it as quickly as possible.
6. The night run to pick up the gps points was fun, crazy, and scary, all at the same time because of the fog. I seriously almost called it off on the way to pick up the first point, it was that foggy. Thanks to everyone who made it out with us, there was one time I looked back and all the rigs with their lights on in the fog looked really cool. We had one rig that busted a bead on its front passenger tire, which we were able to get fixed and keep going. Other than that, I think there was only one other time that a strap came out, and that was just to steady a vehicle so it could straighten out on a dune. I couldn’t believe that we didn’t have more stucks out there that night. Props to all you for some great driving!
7. Masa’s steaks were awesome!
8. I took the van for a quick spin on Sunday after she was all loaded to go home. Apparently I had a pretty bad exhaust leak and the exhaust ended up snapping off right behind the catalytic convertor! I also lost a bead on the front passenger tire, didn’t notice it right off, and may have ruined that tire (its got a real suspect little side bulge thing on it now).
9. I had a blast and can’t wait for next year. We hope to see everyone again next year. We have already had conversations on how to make next year’s event even better. We learn more and more each year. Thanks again to all the participants and sponsors!
10. Carnage! We definitely had some carnage out there. Huge props to those who had carnage, for how they handled it and to those who helped them out and made sure they made it back safe. I’ll try to list what I can remember. FJ Cruiser with a blown rear diff, 2nd gen 2 door 4runner with a burnt up clutch, FJ Crusier with some crush zone damage and a busted rearview camera, some busted beads on tires, CRV with a possible smoked tranny, dented skid plates, and sand everywhere!

For those that didn’t know, the event store is back up and running on the website with shirts and stickers. Due to high demand, we ran out of the smaller sizes. Contact me or Lance this next week if you want to get a shirt in one of the sizes that we ran out of. I think we’re going to be able to do another small run of tshirts, we just need to know who wants what.

PICTURES!!!! We would love it if you could send us your pictures from the event. The website http://pismojamboree.com has the contact info for that. We need pics to send in to the magazine and to send to our sponsors.

Also, for those that won raffle prizes, please send us a picture throughout the year when you install or use your winnings. These will be great for the website and to send to the sponsors.

Thanks again and see you all next year, if not before,

Chris Stover

Quick Reply: 2009 Pismo Jamboree