Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

please review these pictures 96 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please review these pictures 96 4runner

Hello,

I am asking for feedback on these images on a 4Runner I am considering purchasing.

I see some rust, but not sure how bad it is on the underside.

This seems to be pretty well maintained. Not looking for a big project or anything.

Stats: 96 4Runner
Mileage: 120kish

http://imgur.com/a/LCkK6#0

Your thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

Excited to join the community and get my first 4Runner!

Mods/members: If I should post this elsewhere, please inform me and I will do so asap! I am not 100% sure it is in the right section.

Last edited by matt1833; 02-08-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
What, are you in the northeast or something?

Okay, I'm nitpicking because that's what I do best.

Low miles are nice, but I'm not a fan of that much rust, 'specially framewise. That's just 'cause less rust is available around here, even if it is with a few more miles.

There's only underneath pics which must mean the rust concerns you, too. You also don't mention its attributes or what you're expecting to pay. Have you looked real hard at the frame and places like the rear shock mounts at the top? It's an auto-does it have an aftermarket tranny oil cooler? Locker or open? Is that a 1st gen or 2nd supercharger and has it been maintained? If it has rear heat what kind of mess are those metal rear coolant lines? How has the thing been maintained overall? It's due for its 2nd timing belt change if it hasn't gotten one (every 60,000 on the '96).

Welcome to the awesomeness, whatever 4Runner you find.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the response. It's a few hours away, so I haven't inspected it manually. It is in the Chicago area and I'm in Indiana so we get the rust belt. I was excited because it was supercharged, but I'm not planning on running any more boost. Maybe setup water injection just as a precaution, but from my research it shouldn't need it at stock boost.

Great questions:

answers:

Timing belt done at 75k (so it will need it in again soon, but I will check it anyway and err on the side of caution of course because interference engine.
Radiator has been replaced recently BEFORE it mixed with the tranny (automatic transmission) - he said he did it as a pre-caution because he has friends who had that issue
Superchargerd - yes, he has the stock intake still and had that added at 50-75k
Does not have aftermarket tranny cooler - I think I might add one.

Interior is in great shape from the pics - I didn't bother posting them.

I read the FAQ on things and main things to look for where automatic transmission--if it had been messed with coolant.

It's around 5k price.

Main thing is, is it worth driving 2.5-3 hours to go inspect it. The ones I see, most of them, are priced higher for the mileage. And being in the midwest some rust is almost always going to happen it seems

Thanks again for your response.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Lucky you, NOT an interference engine!

Good on the no milkshake. I'd still add a tranny cooler when you get a chance.

Some rust, yeah, but that one seems like pretty much. I know pics can make things worse than they are, but I'm personally wouldn't go for that one. That would be your call. I'm in the rust belt too. I'd rather have a few more miles if it meant a bit less rust. It's the pics of the frame that are freaky to me.

Okay, I'll leave you be, get some more thoughts in here. Consider this a bump.

Last edited by habanero; 02-08-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Make sure you check the supercharger nose cone for leaks, loose bearings..I know people who have gone through major pains to correct nose cone issues...
Old 02-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay I'm going to jump in on this one. I'm located in WV so I know rust really we'll. from the looks of those pics I'd say that runner has been setting or was setting. That's not typical rust that I'm seeing in the pics. The engine bay even looks as if it's been setting.

I just purchased a 95 T100 a few months back. It belonged to a neighbor of mine and he purchased it off the dealer in 95 making me the second owner. Also making this a WV truck. If you were to look at my frame, it's still black. Factory paint. No rusty driveshafts. No rusty yokes. Yes I have / HAD 2 rusty cab mounts but that's it.

I'd pass on this one bud.. It just seems fishy to me.. The rust don't look right either.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pass on it -my guess would be flood vehicle.

I have free extra Carfax reports if you need them, but please trust all our instincts and let that one go.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM

I will be moving on. Thanks a lot. I hate road salt.