Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

1985 4runner value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm in no position to buy it, so I couldn't say exactly what it's worth. That's up to you and the buyer.

​​​Some years back I got a serious $10k offer for my 4runner and yours is in better shape. The guy was a Toyota collector in WV and walked up to me while I was filling up the tank. I'm too attached to sell.

The value of these depends on where you live and how much money the buyer will part with. I've seen bids end on eBay for over $12k on nicely restored trucks and 4runners. Some sellers want $20k and they don't sell, just get relisted over and over. The beat up ones generally get $2-5k on ebay and craigslist where I live (NE Ohio). Is your frame in really great shape? A guy near me just shipped a mint '86 frame to a southern state for $2k + shipping.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsp4life
I'm in no position to buy it, so I couldn't say exactly what it's worth. That's up to you and the buyer.

​​​Some years back I got a serious $10k offer for my 4runner and yours is in better shape. The guy was a Toyota collector in WV and walked up to me while I was filling up the tank. I'm too attached to sell.

The value of these depends on where you live and how much money the buyer will part with. I've seen bids end on eBay for over $12k on nicely restored trucks and 4runners. Some sellers want $20k and they don't sell, just get relisted over and over. The beat up ones generally get $2-5k on ebay and craigslist where I live (NE Ohio). Is your frame in really great shape? A guy near me just shipped a mint '86 frame to a southern state for $2k + shipping.
Frame is perfect no rust really anywhere on the truck. The truck had been stored for years in a garage and when sold to the guy I bought it from he had a flex plate problem and it got stored for several more years. When I got it I took one attempt at flex plate and it went south almost 2 years later just changed to 5spd.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That's awesome, you must live in a dry, warm climate just like where I wished I was.

Take a look at your local craigslist as a sample of what people are trying to sell. I bought my '85 in Flagstaff 5 years ago for $4500. I felt good about the purchase until the engine went out and I kept discovering other issues just under the surface. A more educated buyer would've seen it all ahead of time and passed.

Over the years, I've thrown so much money at it. I became a decent shade-tree in the process, but honestly I'd have done better to get something like what you've got for as much as $12k. However, try telling that to someone new to these trucks who's looking for a sweet deal. They'll think you're full of crap, laugh at your price, then go and buy a much cheaper truck and learn the expensive way. And write a long post on yotatech about how they wished they bought yours instead...

I believe there's someone out there who will happily part with over $10k for your truck, you just have to find them. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
That's awesome, you must live in a dry, warm climate just like where I wished I was.

Take a look at your local craigslist as a sample of what people are trying to sell. I bought my '85 in Flagstaff 5 years ago for $4500. I felt good about the purchase until the engine went out and I kept discovering other issues just under the surface. A more educated buyer would've seen it all ahead of time and passed.

Over the years, I've thrown so much money at it. I became a decent shade-tree in the process, but honestly I'd have done better to get something like what you've got for as much as $12k. However, try telling that to someone new to these trucks who's looking for a sweet deal. They'll think you're full of crap, laugh at your price, then go and buy a much cheaper truck and learn the expensive way. And write a long post on yotatech about how they wished they bought yours instead...

I believe there's someone out there who will happily part with over $10k for your truck, you just have to find them. Good luck.
Well I put it in the sales section for 14k. But that includes a lot of extra usable stuff, or stuff that ultimately will be used in the future. I think I have all the hoses x 2, 4 working IACV valves with extra hoses, A few cases of Joe Gibbs oil, a few gallons of MT90 Redline, I think I still have a new timing kit as well, and all kinds of external engine parts, and a lot of different other stuff. I plan on letting the two floor jacks and other two car stands I have go with it. I have an engine hoist and other stuff as well can all be part of the deal. Just looking for a serious buyer and we can negotiate what he/she may want along with truck. I guess what ever someone might not want I can sell on eBay.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:42 AM

Yes no doubt about Auto. I figure anyone who got this would definitely switch to manual which is no big deal really. I cost it out and depending the sourcing of parts pretty cheap actually. A donor vehicle could be sourced cheap by just looking around CL. CL would be best vs a junk yard...