California SoCal California SoCal Chapter

trying the mobile mechanic gig using Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying the mobile mechanic gig using Craigslist

I am so greatful that I started doing this.
So far it is working great but I've only been at it for a month now.
If anyone in the North San Diego area needs work please hit me up.
I like doing suspension, steering and brakes but will also do some electrical too. Most of my work seems to be brakes and struts. I like that because I can finish each job and get paid the same day.
Not just Toyotas either.

There is a limint to what I will attempt as I only use a jack and stands so the work is low on the ground. Suspension lifts are okay but I don't do body lifts. They are way easier with a regular above ground lift.

I don't know why it took me so long being unemployed to start doing this. I am kicking myself for not doing this earlier.

I cover San Diego from around I-8 up to Temecula.

If you just want help or for me to show you how something is done let me know. I can do that too.

If anyone has any tips or knows of any cautions I should watch out for doing the CL job thing please feel free to give input. I've never been self employed before but have been doing side jobs forever.

My number is 760 215 5264 or you can email me at tonysmobilebrakes@gmail.com
Thanks in advance for your input
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's awesome. I do similar work out of my house here in st. louis but tend to be mobile as well. The only way i recieve offers is by reference but the side jobs are piling up as time goes by. The only advice to give you is make sure the price for the work is agreed upon before starting the work and don't be haggled down from your original price. People think they can scam you since your a "small" buisness so just be careful. I'm in the middle of a water pump timing belt oil pump job on a toyota camry and the guy has already tried to haggle me a bit. I don't give a specified time required for the job but an hourly rate to void off hagglers.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I do want to get my name around a bit more. I just bought business cards because everybody who I work for asks for them and I didn't have any. Now they are starting to get around and hopefully the phone will ring more often. I like to do about 3 jobs a day if they aran't too far away from each other.
I'm thinking of putting some up at the laundrymat and dropped off some at the barber shop yesterday.
Any other good ideas on where to get some more exposure in my local area?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM

good luck to you!!!

i'll keep your contact info.

i'm in san marcos.

joel
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM

How can I use Facebook to get more exposure? Anyone?

Thanks for the support.

If anybody knows of better ways to get my ad and number out there more or use craigslist more efficiently please let me know.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM

for any suggestions on getting more exposure for my mobile gig.

Como on. I'm sure there's some good marketers out there. Can I get a tip?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM

First a get business/liability insurance. Your dealing with people's life. Protect your assets. If you were doing this for a friend and no money is transacted then insurance is not needed but here is business and you are charging a fee.

Now getting to the marketing side: Just some thoughts

1) Any referrals from existing customers get on their next job 10% off. % could be whatever your want. Most small businesses generate via word of mouth.

I do not want to sound like a know it all but these are some things I would do.

2) Give your business cards to mobile detailers and vica versa....cross pollinate. Tell detailers any leads is free brakes for them or barter. Some people have a hard time referring others because others usually bend them over.

3) Network with your local auto suppliers store....tell them to give/suggest you work you buy parts from them.....they know if you do not have work you do not buy parts obviously.

4. Go to your local vinyl store and put advertising on your truck....

5. I have a good number to reach you and one that you actually pick up the phone. Nobody likes to leave vmessage. Pick up the phone.

6) Create a pricing structure so you and potential customers know what to expect in terms of cost and price? If you do not know, tell them you will get back to them and get back to them. Organization is key.

7) Hit up all local truck meets in area and network...your "real" business card is your 4runner/truck. If it looks horrible, do you think others will trust you?????

I think this is great alternative to dealer service or other shops that has a constant overhead (rent, labor, etc) especially in the current environment where people are holding onto their cars longer than usual.

GOOD LUCK! I wish you were closer; I need to find a person who is knowledgeable to valve adjustment on my 3.0 slow! Press on and do not give up!

Last edited by pholife; 01-31-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

Mechanic In So Cal

I would invest the $10? Into buying a domain name and then either have someone build you a site or you could use a template site just to start off with a really basic site. There are people on CL that charge like $90 to fully build your website and then like $10 a month to build an e-commerce site connect it to PayPal so people can buy by Credit Card. The monthly fee covers minor updates and hosting etc..

Have your basic contact information, some different types of stuff that you specialize in and then probably mention what other types of works you feel comfortable doing or work that you are capable of doing?

Maybe post some vehicles that you have personally worked on?

You can get some business cards done really cheap through www.VistaPrint.com I would atleast get these to get by while you are getting your business going and then you can pay more and get some custom cards made through another company..

I like the ideas that PhoLife gave in his reply..

:wabbit2:
Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 AM

Great move! That is a very nice business.I'm always use Mobile mechanic service for my car repair from˟ Mobile Mechanic Sydney. I want to try your service next time.Thanks for this information about your work.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 AM

Get https://squareup.com/ so you can accept credit/debit cards. No more bounced checks that way.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One major thing you NEED to do depending on the laws in your state. You need to have a business license and register with dept of consumer affairs. Here in cali, if you arnt registered and you are soliciting work and getting paid for it, you can get heavily fined by the state and by Beaureu of automotive repair. I know in Cali they set up stings, primarily after these fly by night guys on craigslist. Even if you are in a state that isnt heavily governed, it would be in your best interest to have all of the licenses required and any insurance needed. One job gone wrong can put your ass in the wringer big time
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM

I've been doing this for years with my dad. Just what pholife said. Get insurance!!! Were insured,licensed and bonded. Its a great thing knowing you have it. It cost us hmm around 700$ I think but that was years ago. Good luck.

*91 toy pu 22re Ivan Dan 6+ quad fox 10's with resi
*92' toy pu 3.0 ext cab sr5 fabtec upper arms quad bilstiens
*85 4runner 22re 4x4 5 speed solid axle bone stock- no longer in the family
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM

hey desertcamper,

Was wondering if you are still doing the mobile mechanic gig? I just bought a 1991 4x4 v6 and have a number of things i need to do. Im a little north of you in the IE but can meet you.

I will give you a call tomorrow to touch base
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I actually started doing that when I moved to North Idaho and I have had some decent success with it. One of my big breaks was when I got hired on as a taxi driver for a small local company and started doing the mechanic work when I wasn't driving. I started fixing cars for some of my fares and word got around pretty quick. I don't even need to try and advertise anymore, word of mouth gets me jobs on the side. One thing I would suggest though would be doing mobile lube. I have a friend that does oil changes on peoples cars while they are at work. It makes scheduling easy when your clients have around 8 hour windows. They are easy and if you use autozone rewards, you can get a cost free job once a week on a slow week.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:59 AM

InstaMek provides professional auto repair by top-rated, expert mobile mechanics. Our certified mobile mechanics will come to your home or office to service your car.