YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f139/)
-   -   Oregon Deschutes-Ochoco Roads Closed, Unless Marked Open (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f139/oregon-deschutes-ochoco-roads-closed-unless-marked-open-252563/)

corax 04-20-2012 05:33 PM

Oregon Deschutes-Ochoco Roads Closed, Unless Marked Open

"Mostly the forest was open unless it was posted closed -- and now it's closed unless it's shown as open on the map" - makes perfect sense, right? There's a maximum $5k fine for driving on a road that is not physically posted anywhere except on one of 13 maps that you'd need to reference while on the move.

Anyone wanna get their petition on? It'll only take a few minutes . . .

Here's one article outlining the issue: http://www.ktvz.com/news/30917133/detail.html
Here's a Change.org petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/keep-our-forests-open

Originally Posted by Change.org petition letter
Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: United States Forest Service.

----------------
Repeal the Travel Management Plan and keep our public lands open.

The US Forest Service has closed all roads in the Deschutes National Forest, Ochoco National Forest, and Crooked River National Grassland unles they are posted OPEN on one of 13 confusing government maps. Maximum fine for traveling on a closed road is $5000. Our public lands are being taken away from their owners by a government that is out of touch. Lets show them that we the people and not going to roll over and blindly accept these useless new closures. As a user of our public lands and lover of the outdoors I urge you to pull the plan and open the closed roads. This will have an economic impact on the Central Oregon region that will not be fully realized until it is too late. Why are we closing our forests? Why should it be so difficult to navigate out public lands with maps that do not jive with other paper maps or GPS maps? Why are the signages being abandoned and the blanket "it's closed unless marked open on the maps" being used. This is detrimental to America and our local economy. The environmental impact being touted as the reason for the closures has not been demonstrated and is a lie. We encourage you to re-address this issue. We the people ask for more from our government than protecting us from our public lands.
----------------

Sincerely,

[Your name]

dropzone 04-20-2012 05:43 PM

what the heck??? you get fined because you didn't see it on a map...

MudHippy 04-20-2012 06:40 PM

I'm just gonna get me some lockers and a set of chains for all 4 tires. Start making trails wherever I point my rig and hit the throttle. They can do whatever they want...I can do whatever I want.

And trust me, I'm only half-way kidding when I say these things.

:pissed:

Tread Lightly! 06-12-2012 10:20 AM

The reasoning behind going to a map-based system of designation was to decrease the amount of labor and resources needed to continually maintain a sign-based system of travel, as per the USFS Travel Management Rule implemented in 2005. One ranger I personally know said it takes over $80 per sign to replace a carsonite once its been destroyed, when you factor in his time, the carsonite, labels, installation, etc. That doesn't count fuel or his travel time...

In theory, its a good idea. Designate routes on something that can't be shot, torn out, run over, burned, blown up, stolen, etc. However, research has shown that signage is the absolute best way of providing information on trail systems. There are multiple efforts throughout the country to ensure signs are placed on the trail systems to match the Motor Vehicle Use Maps. But that is up to individual areas at this time, and Ranger Districts can either place signs (or allow clubs to do so) or not since there is no requirement for signage based on the TMR.

In implementation, however... We all recognize that the MVUM system can be confusing and difficult. With no topography or assorted reference points, it is inadequate as a navigational tool and requires the use of other maps, GPS, or guidebooks to fully understand.

dropzone 06-12-2012 10:58 AM

So if you can produce a map which you just picked up from a ranger station or downloaded from the usfs.gov website that turns out to be an old revision are you still subject to a fine?

Tread Lightly! 06-12-2012 11:04 AM

That's a tough question.

Technically, it is your responsibility to make sure the copy you have is the most current. That said, if a RD does no changes year to year, they can (and i've seen it done) stamp that older edition as current for the present year.

Now if the RD is giving out an old copy, i'd personally make sure to get a name or something to make sure that you have protection on that. The MVUM is the legal authority, and what they can enforce off of.