Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Capitol Forest WA

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Capitol Forest WA

Ive been researching for the last hour trying to figure out if offroading, in a truck not a quad, is legal in capitol forest washington, near olympia. Theres plenty of sites for the ORV park, and plenty of here say. But I can't actually find anything saying that you can or you can't. Theres lots of little truck sized trials their. And I've seen people wheeling their, and have even wheeled their myself. But the frustrating fact is, that theres no signs saying you can't, and lots of people are saying that your "not supposed to" and you can get a ticket for it. If thats the case then weres the signs, and whats up with the web site? Anybody?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the trail map

http://www.capitolforest.com/trailmappage.html

There are trails for motorbike/mtn bike/Hikers, none listed for full size vehicles so I would say no, you are not allowed there.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM

I looked at that map to. Definetly looking that way.

Weird part is lots of people wheel their, more so a few years ago. Their was actually signs for truck wheeling on some trails. Now their gone and I can't find anything on it. If they changed their rules then thats fine. But wish I could find it somewhere.
Heck I can't even find signs saying you can't wheel their.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Email them and ask, last thing you would want is to get a ticket and labeled one of "those" people that ruin the trails for everyone.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM

For sure. I like to be wheeling where I'm supposed to. Was more wondering if anybody from around here has wheeled there, back when it was allowed, "last year ish"
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Good idea, sometimes I forget that you can email anybody you want.

Hi there. I live in the olympia area and im cerious about offroading in capital forest. I cant seem to get a straight answere from anybody. Ive heard thats not legal to offroad with a 4wheel drive truck in capitol forest. And that it is ok if you have the discover pass. I have looked at the website and the DNR website, and goggled "is offroading allowed in capital forest?" It takes me to atv's and hiking, but doesnt say anything about offroading. Only reason I ask is because I grew up hearing stories of 4wheelin in capitol, and still today see lots of truck sized trails their that are not by any means blocked off.

I have severel friends that are cerious about the subject as well. If its not permited at all, or only in some areas then I would like to inform them as well as be informed myself. I don't enjoy offroading if im not sure im in the right area. I am a legitimate wheeler and help to keep trials open.

I have also explored the roads up there and cannot find any signs stating what is allowed, or even that 4wheeling is not allowed.

I am pretty good at looking things up, and if I cant find the information on this subject, then I could see how alot of people could be misinformed or just down right dont know. If this is the case, that 4wheeling a truck or buggy is not allowed and fines could be issued in that event, then I would hope there would be SOME WAY of finding out this information. A simple "offroading is not permited here sign, or a post on the website could possible detour a large number of people from breaking rules that they didnt even know existed. Thank you for reading this. I do hope to hear back from you.
Alright sent DNR an emial on the subject. Ill post the response, if any, back here when it comes.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wished i lived somewere near you guys, theres no one down here in flordia or any good trails for that matter, it really sucks!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Ya plenty of golf cart trails and no shortage of old retired people right uh
Kiddin of coarse. Sorry to here that. That does sound very un-american if them.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Alright finally got an email back from them.

Off road driving is illegal in Capitol Forest. There are no official off roading driving areas. Plenty of roads to cruise around on. Maybe try somewhere in Mason County?

Thanks
-Jim

Just as I suspected. And thats perfectly alright.
I feel better knowing this info finally. I honestly cannot believe how difficult it was to obtain this fact. Not kidin you guy's, theres no sign's, and nothin about it being illegal on the website. Talk about misleading. Especially when you consider that it was legal to wheel there years ago. In my opinion they should at least attempt to make people aware that its not allowed before pointing the finger. One sign, just one little sign on the way in. That will detour all the honest people including myself.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM

wow, was looking for this information myself and it's been almost 7 years since this was posted. There is still no clear signage in capitol forest forbidding off-roading and the truck sized trails are still there with no blockading at all. wish the DNR would put signs up so that people knew where it was legal and no legal to off-road.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:08 AM

Public lands laws

​​​​​​Rules for Washington State public lands are below. I realize this is an old thread but the link will always be current. https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52