FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Proud new FJ father - ready to rock

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new FJ father - ready to rock

Hey guys, just picked up a 2007 FJ. She's got a lot of miles, but a good builder from here. Been a while since I've been back to Yotatech as well. I was last here when I had my 4runner and since have bounced around a few other trucks to finally come back to Toyota, and I am very relieved to do so! Anyway, she's got 195,000 miles, Manual 6 speed gear box and the rest is pretty straight forward, except it looks like it's missing the button to pop the rear glass, am I missing something? I am looking for some upgrade suggestions, and general tips. I'll do my research here and other forums as well, I'm not one of those guys to just sit and wait for someone to give me the right answer, and I'm super pumped to have the FJ and tear it apart and put back. Here are some upcoming things and issues I am planning on in the next couple months. Also, I am in Ft. Worth TX, so if any of y'all are local and planning on running around and getting FJ's dirty, let me know!

Lift: looking to do maybe a 3in leveling kit or anything else suggested. It needs new tires, so why buy some 31's when I can easily do 33s with minimal effort! I am surprised what that the FJ can do already testing it out in mud and some rocks. Any tips and suggestions on what to go with would be awesome. Obviously I'd love to go with a high end lift and go balls out, but I also am a single dad of 3 and need to be budget minded. As for tires, I'll stick with AT's as I drive quite a bit.

Gas Mileage: The FJ isn't getting any better than 14mpg though. I've done the thermostat swap to find no change, so onto the next thing that would cause poor mileage.... I'm thinking wheel bearings and just a good greasing allover on all the moving parts. Any tips on fuel economy would be appreciated. Has anyone tried the "cheaper" snorkles offered on Ebay? How was install, did it improve fuel economy? Has anyone put exhaust on them, has that helped and how does it sound. I have never really been a fan of a V6 exhaust.

Bumpers to come, and I am planning on taking off the stock roofrack and making some modifications to it. I have a company that manufactures and distributes night vision equipment, so this will eventually get decked out to run in full darkness and probobly with a thermal camera system integrated into it at some point with both IR light and white flood lights. I just need to figure out a kill switch for the running lights and the in dash lights to switch to IR when driving in black out.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome back. Blackout drive, 😂.

I get why stay 31s as re-gearing is spendy.

Don’t believe a snorkel will help with mpg. Probably will get the most bang for you buck by changing fluids, tranny, t-case, difs,.... that won’t be an overwhelming increase but drops add up to TSP to TBLS to cups. Change plugs.

Some exhaust work work will pay dividends as I imagine cat has seen better days. Wider pipe may give a little more pep, maybe a slight improvement on mpgs.

i’d do Fluids and tuneup first then go from there. Will give you a benchmark to measure improvements on.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have an 07 FJ. As for the the rear glass mine has no button, you need to use the key in the rear hatch and turn it all the way to the right and hold it then the window pops open . Love my FJ !
Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
close to 200K that 4.0 is getting tired, do the usual compression check etc. How is your air filter? muddpig is correct, snorkel won't do anything for mileage. Anyway congrats on the truck
I did the single dad thing for a few years with two girls, 3 must make it a little more fun
33's on stock gears will also impact your mileage and knock it below your current 14
Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back Red-Daggs! Congrats on the new FJ. Did you notice all our holiday sales at www.PureFJCruiser.com? We have them for the 4Runner, Tacos, and Tundras, but posted them for FJ's first. We'd love to hear about the night vision items as they evolve. Sounds like a great build. Congrats!

Onward.,
The www.PureAutoParts.com crew