FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Cruiser three year review

Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
FJ Cruiser three year review

I have had my FJ Cruiser since July the 24th of 2006.
I ordered it back in March of the same year.

Though this review is a little late, I would like to share my thoughts on the rig.
It just turned 24,373 miles at 3 am yesterday when I gassed it up before work.

I called the dealer the other day as it is ready for an oil change and I asked about the plugs and he said wait until it turns 30K before getting the plugs done if it is running perfect.

I must admit it is running perfectly and the only thing that has been done to it is regular oil changes, lube, and a few air filter changes.
No squeaks rattles, or other pesky things have cropped up.
And I am only on the second windshield.
These flat windshields are more prone to chips/cracks than a normal slanted window.

The rig is far from stock though as it has the OME 2.5" lift, ARB front bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, Bentup sliderz, Dick Cepek Mountaincat mud tires sized over stock at 285x70x17, a Safari snorkel, Autohome Maggiolina AirLander roof top tent, ect...
And it still accelerates as fast as it did when it was bone stock.

The gas mileage when new was close to 21 MPG combined city/highway, now I am down to around 17 MPG combined city/highway with the above equipment on it.
The first set of mud tires where the biggest hit to the lower MPG.
In fact this is my second set of the same tires, the first ones were of the stock size, and I immediately went from around 21 MPG down to 19 MPG, so you can see the hit that put on the MPG.

The performance is the same though, it feels like a rocket ship to me after coming from a 2nd gen '91 4Runner with the 3.0 and an automatic transmission.

I have zero complaints on the rig.
I keep reading about blind spots, I do not see them.
But then I use to drive semi trucks part time long ago, and I drive rigs at work that require me to depend a lot on using mirrors to drive with.
I have the FJs mirrors adjusted accordingly to see properly out of.
Although seeing out the back is not the greatest due to the spare tire there, I really hardly use the rear window anyways to navigate the roads with.

The handling has been affected by adding the roof top tent to the factory rack as it sits a little to high, and on a windy day coming home from work I can get pushed around a little.
This is not due to the weight but more to the fact that between the top of the roof and the bottom of the tent is a good amount of space there that wind can move around trying to blow me off course.
Not bad on a calm day, but when windy can be a little nerve racking.
Working on that solution though with a vendor on this forum for a rack that will lower the tent substantially which should yield better handling when it is windy out.

Of all of Toyotas current lineup the FJ Cruiser is really the only rig I would buy brand new.
I do like the Tacomas very much too, and I would not hesitate to build one up for a daily driver/expo rig, but the FJ is my first choice.
The new 4Runner coming out does not do anything for me as it seems it is getting more plush each year.

The FJ Cruiser for me is a vehicle more back to Toyotas roots for an off road/expo oriented type vehicle.

4WD lever for the transfercase, no carpet, no leather seats, ect.
The two latter items make cleaning up the rig after a day of off roading, camping, dragging along the mountain bike and wearing dirty bike shorts/jerseys makes cleaning up the rig a lot easier.

I find the seats very comfortable in the rigs, and there is plenty of headroom.
Even when wearing my camping/safari hat.
I have heard the FJ Cruiser has more headroom than others in the Toyota lineup.

Seeing out the shorter/straight windshield has never been a problem for me, and seeing those three wiper blades called into action when the sky opens up still looks cool to me.

If anything were to happen to this rig I would replace it with a 2010 FJ Cruiser, maybe even the new green color which looks pretty good.

For my lifestyle though of back country camping, exploring, mountain biking, this is the perfect rig for me.

These rigs are pretty tough too.
Back in June of 2007 I was sitting at a red light in my town heading out to do the weeks grocery shopping.
All of a sudden I felt a slight impact, and I knew I had just been rear ended.
I jumped out and a Ford Ranger was folded up like an accordion in the front.
his truck was totaled.

Mine?
Rear bumper needed to be replaced, the tailpipe, the rear door, and a few trim items.
He hit me at about 25 to 30 miles per hour.
I drove home, he did not.
My rig was fixed, frame checked which was perfect, good as new afterwards.

The rig continues to start conversations with others when I am out on the road, at the store, or getting fueled up.

I am very happy that Toyota introduced this vehicle.
I am surprised that it is still being produced as it was only suppose to be a short run on these as a limited production model.
Nice to see that it did make it another year for 2010.

Anyways, I am stocked about this vehicle, and it and a few other things (Overland Journal) have gotten me interested in camping again after taking about a decade off from camping.
I use to go every other weekend with my two sons when they were younger from about May through September.

Here are a few pics of how the rig has evolved over the years.
Day I brought it home in the first pic, then the mods came very fast from being excited about this new rig from Toyota.

Overall I am 100% satisfied with what Toyota offered this rig up as.

Who needs rear seats?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Nice review Corey. It's always good to see a vehicle put to its potential as a rig.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review, Corey. I hope at some point I can upgrade to an FJ Cruiser when the 4Runner finally gets too old (probably won't happen for a long time). Last summer my wife and I test drove one on a date one night, and I really liked it. I actually forgot I was test-driving while we were cruising on the freeway, and I could easily see myself owning one. I remember the suspension was super cushy, and was wondering if the OME suspension changed stiffened up a lot on yours, or if it mostly just lifted it? I kind of liked the Cadillac-esque ride.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice write up and glad the rig still have that same new rig shine in your heat... great pics too.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Corey thanks for the writeup. You have an awesome camp setup with that truck.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When they first came out I thought they were pretty ugly. The look sure has grown on me though. I can see myself owning one in like 10-20 years when my 4runner dies
Your rig is definitely one of the coolest around

I never noticed the triple windshield wipers before.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 10-22-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great review Corey.

I typically pick up my Yotas at 5 years old and 100K miles and if you are liking yours this much at 3 years old-then I will give an FJ a thorough look/see next time I am in a position to move up.

Thank goodness there is the 5 speed option unlike the Runners. In a sense the 4Runner has gotten too popular and lost its focus from the 2nd gen I started out with.

Great pics all brought together in one spot very nice.

Sorry to ask a stupid question but what do the cords at the cargo box rear do exactly? Just in case they open up? so the drawers don't slam the back end interior? just curious
Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is really nice. I like the setup for camping.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Sorry to ask a stupid question but what do the cords at the cargo box rear do exactly? Just in case they open up? so the drawers don't slam the back end interior? just curious
Thanks Ron.

Jim (mytruck on the forum) here installed those for me.
When the cargobox was in the 4Runner, the drawers were right up against the tailgate when closed.

With the box in the FJ, the drawers would slide open when pulling away from a stop light.
The cable and pins fixed that.
Just pull the pin, and the drawers then open.
Originally Posted by stormin94
That is really nice. I like the setup for camping.
Thanks, it is very comfortable for camping.
Now I have to start thinking of were to take my one or two week vacation this year
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the functionality and capability of the FJ. I'm not a fan of the cartoon-ish styling. I camp 30+ days a year, year-round, and while I haven't ever tried a roof-top tent, I like sleeping inside my 4Runner (a 6' person can stretch out) because I can turn on the heat in the winter or at high elevations. I also carry a small boat on my roof much of the spring and summer. I currently have a 2nd gen 4Runner, when the time comes, it will either be replaced with with a diesel 80 series Cruiser, or a third gen. The size makes me lean away from the FJ as an expo vehicle and the styling is the nail in the coffin for the FJ for me. I hope if there's another generation of FJ, that it removes some of the style for the sake of style- ie: fake treadmarks on the spare tire, goofy front bumper, J-Lo tailights... basically make it look like a 70 series and I'd be happy.

Great review though, the FJ looks like a great day-tripper.

Last edited by Matt16; 03-03-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Great review Corey.
It proves that just because Toyota's look nice doesn't mean that they aren't capable as camping/expedition rigs also.

My Dad is thinking of getting one instead of a FJZ80, any opinions/tips on this matter?

BTW, 800 Posts......yeaaaaaa!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks guy's.
I read a trip report in 4WD Toyota Owner magazine a year back on an 80 series run they had some FJ Cruisers with them.

The FJCs could go anywhere and I mean anywhere the 80s could.

The FJ Cruiser is a great platform to build up an expedition/overlanding/camping rig.
That is what I did with mine.

I could live out of mine for weeks at a time with all the gear I have., the fridge, and capacity to carry extra food.

Look over on expeditionportal.com and fjcruiserforums.com, there are a lot of FJ Cruiser owners there with roof top tent setups who get a lot of use out of these.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
YOU my friend are a very very white person..just saying..

that's a GREAT review for a GREAT vehicle..although i'm not too fond of them...all of the great reviews kinda makes me want one lol
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he he...
I quit laying out in the sun years ago.
Have lost a lot of relatives to cancer, and I watched my father suffer from skin cancer.

27K on the rig now, and approaching four years in July.
Still on the factory spark plugs, my dealer keeps telling me to hold off until 30K.
Runs the same as the day I bought it.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM

FJ cruiser

hi corey

i am a new member. i wanted to post this as a test to see if it goes thru. if it does, i have a few FJ questions. thnx !

-andy from nh
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by IntoFJ's
hi corey

i am a new member. i wanted to post this as a test to see if it goes thru. if it does, i have a few FJ questions. thnx !

-andy from nh
Please start a new thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Great review Corey
A little sun wound not kill you and it's even be healthy... a little natural vitamin D ya know... the key is small exposures... as with everything moderation is the rule... on the other hand if your gene pool is sensitive to the sun perhaps the crypt is the best place for you during the daylight hours... moo hoo hah ha ha... hey at least you live on the rain coast right?...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Please start a new thread.

hi corey

how do i start a new thread? i don't see the 'new thread' button anywhere. I'm new so bear with me.

-andy from nh
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome Andy
Here's how you start a new thread...
from the front (welcome) page click on the Forums button in the blue banner
then from the forums available list click on the one that applies (in this case "SUV and Truck tech")... next click the sub-forum that applies (in this case FJ Cruiser) when this opens up you will see a blue "New Thread" button at the top click it and off you go...
Pls make sure your title is specific and descriptive it will make it easier to search and improve and also speed up the responses.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Welcome Andy
Here's how you start a new thread...
from the front (welcome) page click on the Forums button in the blue banner
then from the forums available list click on the one that applies (in this case "SUV and Truck tech")... next click the sub-forum that applies (in this case FJ Cruiser) when this opens up you will see a blue "New Thread" button at the top click it and off you go...
Pls make sure your title is specific and descriptive it will make it easier to search and improve and also speed up the responses.
=========================

thank you aviator !!
i sent in a new thread today.

-andy