93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Tires for my T100

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for my T100

I need a new set of shoes for my T100 and don't want to spend near $600 for them. It originally had Firestone Wilderness A/T 31x10.5x15 on it. They developed severe cupping and eventually became so distorted it shook so bad it felt like the truck was bouncing off the pavement. I got new Yokohama Geolander A/Ts and after about 35-40k they started cupping too. Front suspension parts were replaced when I got these tires (ball joints, tie rods, idler and steering arms, shocks, stabilizer) and alignment was done after tires installed. Even after rotating them several times they still wore funny, (cupping), so I need to replace them before I wear out my front suspension parts again.

I can get a set of Kumho Road Venture AT51 for about $512 from Wal-Mart with a Kumho factory mail-in discount. That includes tax+mounting/balancing. I know nothing about this tire or brand, don't know anyone who had or has them on a light truck or SUV like my T100 or 4Runner. If you have any experience with Kumho or any other tire that is close to this price for a set of four I would like to hear about it and I appreciate your input.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Most Wally-world tires are good for the money you pay and most people appear to like them enough to continue buying them. I just put Hercules tires on my 4runner and a Subaru and think they're really good for the lower-range price.

I'd be more concerned about why your last new tires cupped just like the old ones after you had your steering and suspension parts replaced. Did you ever have the alignment checked again and the tires re-balanced, maybe by a different shop?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the response gsp, yep, like my initial post states I replaced all of the core front suspension parts and the alignment was included with the tire job. I had the Yokos re-balanced once after rotation. I probably should have rotated them more often. When I get the next set of tires I am taking it to a genuine alignment shop here in Lynchburg, there is actually a shop that is dedicated to doing alignments, brakes, and front suspension work.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Correction, I was looking at the Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max, not the Hercules Ironman all country A/T which are about the same price as the equivalent Kumho A/T. The Wally Worlds here don't carry Hercs.

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 09-20-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: duplicate message
Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 PM

I had hercules terra tracs for about 4 years. They pretty much sucked. I liked the michelin at/2's much better, but they have been discontinued.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 PM

I heard the original Hercules Terra trac a/t's weren't so good, and that the a/t2's were improved a lot. I never had the first version so I can't really say, but these tires seem great for the 7000 miles I've had them.

​​​​​​No hardcore wheeling for me, but I've zipped around on plenty of washboard gravel roads in WV and they hold a line well. Very smooth on the highway with no hydroplaning. For $550 out the door, I couldn't expect any better. My opinion of them will be updated if they suck in snow or wear badly.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

I just put Yokohama GEOLANDAR H/T G056
inhad good luck with the Yok A/Ts back on my 94 4Runner
hopefully they hold up better than the 30-40k you got out of the A/T.
i went with 235/85 r16s. Much more quiet than the outrageously expensive and loud Goodyear Duratracs.
Man I sound old.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks Bill, GSP, and madcanvis. Duratracs, yep, you're probably about as long in the tooth as I am! I did not get good life out of my Yokos and they were not cheap. The Firestone Wilderness (discontinued) 31X10.5's it came with lasted the longest so far. I don't know if I want to fork over the $$$ for the Destination model. I've put BFG Rugged Terrains on my XJ and WK Cherokees and still have the set for my WK(Winter only), got great service out of those but paid close to $600 OTD. I think I am going to go with the Kumho Road Venture AT51's, they have a lot of positive reviews on many different sites and are reasonably priced plus $70 discount/gift card.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:44 PM

Looks like those AT51's are a good value and will be even less $ than Hercules. Between the two, the only reason I'd still pick Herc tires is that they're made in my state (Ohio) while Kumho's South Korean. Hankook's Korean too and people seem to like them a lot, so probably not a quality issue there.