93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

T100 the good, the bad, the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T100 the good, the bad, the ugly

Hey guys I'm looking at buying a t100 and I wanting to know some info about them... Hopefully you all can chime in on your experience

1995 T100
5spd
4wd
All stock
117,000 miles
1 owner
Engine replaced by dealer at 17,000 miles from a manufacture defect
Timing belt, water pump and something else in there replaced at 75,000 miles
New rear springs
Very clean frame
We'll up kept with several receipts.

The bad.....

Slightly rusted at fender wells on bed
Passenger rocker panel rusted
Rear brake line rusted off
Crack in windshield from a small tree limb falling out of tree in yard
Driver seat is JUNK
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't sound bad except for some body work and some tlc. Is the price reasonable?

Pics!!

Last edited by donomite49; 11-13-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 PM

I'd like to know how they ruined a driver's seat in 117K. Sure they didn't roll the odometer back from 217k?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by SCToy
I'd like to know how they ruined a driver's seat in 117K. Sure they didn't roll the odometer back from 217k?
Nah he's a large guy that kinda flops in and rolls out...

1,200.00 firm
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular or xtra cab?

$1200 is a good price...got any piccies of the truck? Make sure you git shots from underneath as well as the engine bay.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by BamZipPow
Regular or xtra cab? $1200 is a good price...got any piccies of the truck? Make sure you git shots from underneath as well as the engine bay.
It's extended cab... I haven't got any pics of it yet although I can tell you that the engine bay is filthy... It's not greasy just really dirty like tons of dust lol. If I get this thing expect a build thread lol.. As stated Its got some issues but it won't stay stock either lol...
Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id watch out, if the brake line rusted off and the body is rusted the under carriage might be very bad.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJM
Id watch out, if the brake line rusted off and the body is rusted the under carriage might be very bad.
X2. I would be very wary of this truck. You also noted that the rear springs were replaced. Why? Mine are just starting to show their age at 180k. I know I don't live in a rust state, but that's still another warning sign that this truck has had a hard, rusty life. I would pass on this truck.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Snap out of it....it's a t100. Generic scoop of vanilla icecream. Not desirable for any purpose. I know its a cheap toyota thats close by.....go find a first gen pickup. A 4runner. Not a t100. Only made a few years....its the redheaded stepchild. Like being with a fat girl. Ok if know ones knows...but you wouldnt want your freinds to see you with her.

Even Toyota gave up on them.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
buy it, swap into older truck/4runner with bad 3.0
Old 11-15-2013, 04:06 PM

All of you have very good points.. Let's start at the top. Now my knowledge of this truck isn't the bed but I can tell you what I know and I can tell you that I personally know the owner and I have known him for several years. I grew up with his incarcerated son.

Anyhow as I stated he bought the truck brand new. At 17,000 miles something happened to the engine and toyota replaced it with a brand new. Done at c&o motors here in WV.

It's was parked for about 1 year In his back yard due to the brake line and one broken leaf. He replaced both springs on it when he replaced them. The truck currently sets with the bed removed because of the spring replacement and lack of installing a brake line. He pinched the line off so that it's drivable around his farm but has yet truly fix it.

The rest was probably caused from it setting. Although I live in WV... Snow and salt I know that the frame is good because it's plainly visible. Bed removed..... The seat on driver side has large hole in it... He's
Large guy.. Probably the cause of it.

Now the reasons I desire this truck...

It's a T100... There a oddball so that's kinda cool.
4wd
Standard

Truck is extended cab and larger in size which I need for my type of work. I did drive it and it's pretty nice and comfy. The ac even works

I know it needs work and TLC but I can provide that and it will give me a new project. I'm not looking at making a big time trial rig I just want a slightly larger truck for my own personal reasons.

But anyways that's my take on this.. By the way I'm paying for it tomorrow. I got it for $1,000 cash as I hoped for..
Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
CJM

If it isnt totally rusted out and all the bushings arent bad then Id say its probably worth it. Be forewarned now,t he bracket the clutch pedal is a part of and the sheet metal can wear out and cause clutch engagement issues over time.

I will say I love my T100, but after driving a chevy 2500 all day at work for years Im ready for a V8 myself.

Also be aware that these trucks can have had axle wrap depending on gearing, drivetrain and leaf spring condition. Even with rearched springs done only 3 years ago and another leaf added it hops around alot.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
If it isnt totally rusted out and all the bushings arent bad then Id say its probably worth it. Be forewarned now,t he bracket the clutch pedal is a part of and the sheet metal can wear out and cause clutch engagement issues over time. I will say I love my T100, but after driving a chevy 2500 all day at work for years Im ready for a V8 myself. Also be aware that these trucks can have had axle wrap depending on gearing, drivetrain and leaf spring condition. Even with rearched springs done only 3 years ago and another leaf added it hops around alot.
okay.. Please explain the clutch issue to me. I'm aware of the clutch pedal bracket on the 3rd gen pickups. Is t100's got the same issue...
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a rippin deal. you can afford to put some money and tlc into it and make it a good truck.

i think T one huns are cool and they have all that room too.
love to have one and do a v8 or a 2jzgte swap.

the only bad thing is like stated above, they were only made for a few years so there is limited parts in the salvage yards.

good luck with the project.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
okay.. Please explain the clutch issue to me. I'm aware of the clutch pedal bracket on the 3rd gen pickups. Is t100's got the same issue...
Same thing. Bracket becomes flimsy and causes pedal not to engage all the way. I have an auto so its a non issue.

Do be aware, alot of the parts do interchange with the older trucks but alot of the parts dont. T100 use specific larger brakes/rotors-some 4runners used them, t100 has its own frontend components (drag link and such) shares rest of frontend except CV, rear axle is unique, axle shafts can bend however. Nice thing is tundra axle is same but diff gears. be aware hood is poorly welded to hood supports (I used polyurethane glue to fix it). otherwise they are solid trucks and much more capable of towing than you could ever imagine, which is why I bought it. You wont win any speed contests tho.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Same thing. Bracket becomes flimsy and causes pedal not to engage all the way. I have an auto so its a non issue. Do be aware, alot of the parts do interchange with the older trucks but alot of the parts dont. T100 use specific larger brakes/rotors-some 4runners used them, t100 has its own frontend components (drag link and such) shares rest of frontend except CV, rear axle is unique, axle shafts can bend however. Nice thing is tundra axle is same but diff gears. be aware hood is poorly welded to hood supports (I used polyurethane glue to fix it). otherwise they are solid trucks and much more capable of towing than you could ever imagine, which is why I bought it. You wont win any speed contests tho.
what about the front diff. Is it the same as a regular pickup. If so I'd like to remove the ADD an throw on some factory aisins ya know... But if I remove the add I wanna swap the tube too
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM

Same diff as a the pickup. You can do a manual hub swap.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=HighLux;52139246]Snap out of it....it's a t100. Generic scoop of vanilla icecream. Not desirable for any purpose. I know its a cheap toyota thats close by.....go find a first gen pickup. A 4runner. Not a t100. Only made a few years....its the redheaded stepchild. Like being with a fat girl. Ok if know ones knows...but you wouldnt want your freinds to see you with her.

Thats messed up. The T100 is the best toyota truck ever made. I have 4 of them. They rock. They have a fair amount of aftermarket support, they are easy to work on, reliable, and have the best engine toyota ever made. The regular cabs even had 4.70 gearing ! They have alot of interchangeable parts with the older Toyotas. The front ends are mostly the same as the older yotas. I know these trucks and 3.4s like the back of my hand.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CJM
If it isnt totally rusted out and all the bushings arent bad then Id say its probably worth it. Be forewarned now,t he bracket the clutch pedal is a part of and the sheet metal can wear out and cause clutch engagement issues over time.

I will say I love my T100, but after driving a chevy 2500 all day at work for years Im ready for a V8 myself.

Also be aware that these trucks can have had axle wrap depending on gearing, drivetrain and leaf spring condition. Even with rearched springs done only 3 years ago and another leaf added it hops around alot.
I know this is an older thread, but for anyone fighting the above-mentioned axle wrap - yikes, this means severe rear axle hop - have someone who works on rear suspensions loosen up those rear axle u-bolts & looks for cracks in the "rear axle leaf spring seats" - the platform welded onto the differential, in between the diff & the leaf springs. HTH someone in the future to avoid the really long struggle I had to find this on mine...
Old 10-10-2023, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just one opinion

Originally Posted by HighLux
Snap out of it....it's a t100. Generic scoop of vanilla icecream. Not desirable for any purpose. I know its a cheap toyota thats close by.....go find a first gen pickup. A 4runner. Not a t100. Only made a few years....its the redheaded stepchild. Like being with a fat girl. Ok if know ones knows...but you wouldnt want your freinds to see you with her.

Even Toyota gave up on them.
Well, at 405000 mile on my 1996, I beg to differ on the stated opinion. Same engine as the 4Runner but a better choice if you want a pickup. Both models are bullet proof (3.4 v6). Toyota gave up because it was, at the time, mid-sized. People either opted for the compact Toyota Truck or a full size one. I worked with Toyota from 1981 to 2018, as used car manager. I'll take plain vanilla that runs for decades.

Taken 10.08.23

The following 3 users liked this post by n51104:
2ToyGuy (10-10-2023), old87yota (10-11-2023), PaulieWalnuts (02-13-2024)