93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

95 T100 3.4L Add OEM Cruise Control - What's all Needed?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
95 T100 3.4L Add OEM Cruise Control - What's all Needed?

My dad's T100 is a 95 DX 4x4 Stick with the 5vzfe engine and it didn't come with cruise control. I have a couple 97 T100's automatics that have cruise control. Swapping the steering wheel (or just the cruise switch), the parts under the hood and such is clearly needed, but what about wiring wise? I suspect the non cruise wiring is missing the plug for the cruise control actuator. I make wire harnesses, and the trucks have donor plugs so I could probably whip something up, just would like to see if anyone else has already done this or has experience with it.

I do have the Toyota EWDs for the T100s, just are not on me currently to check where the wiring goes exactly. While researching, I did see a post mention that the ECU had to be from a truck with cruise, is this valid or better yet, is there a bypass for this requirement? I don't have any good stick ECU's around, but I do have a couple auto ones that had cruise. Don't really care too much about the dash light, I can make my own kind of indication that it's enabled.

Thanks for any input on this, his truck is nearly rust free, which is nearly unheard of in Michigan so upgrading his truck is the most local thing to do vs replacing it with one that has the options already (he would like to get power mirrors and windows too down the road off an SR5 and make it work too).
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Digging into the wire diagrams now since I'm at home. I'll log notes/findings as I go, so down the road this might help someone else. Planning to compare 97 T100 AT to 95 T100 MT for the wire diagrams, different years or applications (tacoma, pickup, 4runner etc) might be slightly different. I'm not worried about the automatic features (ECT, Overdrive and such), so I'm ignoring them currently.

First thing I noticed is the stop switch (brake light switch) is a two pole switch, cruise side is naturally closed, brake light side is naturally open. Switch is on the positive side of the circuit (15a stop fuse)

Appears the ECU does not need to have support for cruise control (might be needed for automatics though for ETC and OD). Only questionable signal wire is IDLO (ECU side) -> IDL (CC actuator ECU), the EWD does not describe the usage of the signal. Based on the letters, it sounds like an idle kick up or something along those lines.

Cruise control indicator light is being ignored for now, but it basically goes to the comb meter to light the bulb.

95 and 97 T100's do have different connectors for the cruise control and different pin outs. I'm using one from a 97 and cutting the connector off the harness so not an issue for myself but noteworthy that you might have to get correct year units or you'll need the pig tail and wire diagram (the 95 diagram is similar but does have a couple of wires different from the 97 one).

Wire up:
format: signal/wire -> CC ECU pin # (wire color)

B+ to pin 4 (Black/Light Blue)
Ground to pins 9 and 10 (White/Black)
CMS pin 7 from cc switch to pin 15 (Green/Black)
CMS pin 2 from cc switch to pin 3 (Green/ Yellow)
SPD from comb meter pin 6 to pin 7 (Green)
D Cruise Control Switch pin 2 to pin 13 (white) *MT only

Sounds simple enough overall, seems like I might need to mount a couple of switches and maybe run a few wires if the plugs don't exist, but nothing super complicated and I have wire harness making supplies already, so it might end up being a hand made sub harness with used Toyota OEM pig tails at the end and a couple of splices (B+ and spd).

Parts to check/test for interchange (so far):
Brake switch (make sure it's 4 pin, pin 3 -> pin 4 should be normally closed)
Cruise control clutch switch (appears there must be two switches for the clutch, both 2 pin, one normally open (for starting) and one normally closed (CC cancel). *automatics have a bit more of a complicated system with diodes and a tie into the park/neutral switch which ultimately goes to this same pin (+12v signal as of how I understand the diagram).

I'd like to know a little more about the IDOL wire that goes to the ECU if anyone happens to know anything about it.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by atcfixer
I'd like to know a little more about the IDLo wire that goes to the ECU if anyone happens to know anything about it.
IDLo (Idle output) seems to only be present on manual transmission models(?).

It is strictly and output from the ECU, it has a diode pointed out, and appears to be a low voltage signal (runs through a resistor based voltage divider)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Here is the wire diagram I'm looking at. ECT and OD are noted AT only, but IDLO doesn't have any note, so it should be both versions. Not sure why the cruise would care much about the idle, unless it is more or less an rpm signal to protect the engine.

EDIT:

I tried to regoogle the signal wire and found a diag page that had a bit of a description. Not sure what the "idle switch" is, but it seems to related to the TPS signal. Sounds like the application is for a toyota car, but I don't see what the exact application is, but I can only assume it's atleast similar with the t100's.

Source: http://www.toyotadostlari.com/upload...se-Control.pdf

Last edited by atcfixer; 02-23-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
On the same schematic as that first image you'll find the throttle signal, is that a two or three wire setup? (Single Vta, or Vta1 and Vta2). Should be a single Vta signal from what I see. In any case all the data I see from the Celica brains show the same output filter, resistor divider and diode.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Source machine is 3 wire (total), single VTA signal. The 95 sounds to have a 4 wire but still single VTA signal... and the mystrius "IDL Switch" looks to be part of the TPS on the older pickups, but integrated within the ecu (logically maybe?) in the newer ones (source is 97 t100). Looks like I'll need to splice into his TPS wire pin 3 if the IDL signal is needed. It sounds like it's basically a detection if it's operating purely on cruise vs your giving it extra gas (say to pass someone). Hopefully the signal is the same between the two years.

Source: 97 T100 (machine I'm pulling the cruise parts from)

Going into 95 T100 (machine I'd be looking to install the parts into).
Old 03-04-2017, 05:24 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Unfortunately, the whole throttle body is different so its more than just the TPS that needs to be swapped. It may be possible to swap in a cruise control unit with ecu in it from a 4runner and wire it up a little more stand alone like. Currently working on a prototype for a customer who swapped in a 3.4 into his 73 series landcruiser.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM

I'd assume switching the "idle switch" to always be connected would work, just not sure what it would do if you gave it gas while on cruise. My guess is it would retract the throttle pull to try to "slow down" from the excess speed that you're manually introducing. Letting off might dip a bit below the cruise speed before recovering, but besides that I think it would work fine.

I'm using one from a 97, so the idle switch isn't part of the TPS on that model (source truck) it's part of the ecu, so I'm unsure what the signal looks like. If it's the same as the older ones except the ecu does the switching, it could be either wired to ground or hooked to the TPS switch on the 95 truck. Besides that, electronically they look to function the same, but I don't have actual resistance readings to compare to validate. Not super worried about it as long as it isn't a crippling thing for the cruise to work.

Currently his truck isn't sitting still much (hauling wood a lot) and he just received the P0170 check engine code so get to have fun cleaning the MAS and checking for vacuum leaks.

I might be way off on my guesses, so I'm always open to real world experience. I scanned over the 95 T100 wire diagram again, and I don't see any pins hitting the engine's ECU, so for a stand alone unit, one from that era might be better for your application. I didn't grab the 4Runner wire diagrams, so I can't compare what all is different.

Last edited by atcfixer; 03-04-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Search this Thread