General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for Uncovered Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honest as I have ever been, I just wish I could explain to him what happens to CLEANSR5 when CLEANSR5's parents find out he had a little run in with the police, you know? I'm sure it won't be a problem in court, I'll show them a picture of the covers or something and hopefully it will be the end of it. And yes, I would expect the police to be a little more lenient to students and young people who really can't afford tickets like these.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the other side of the coin is that if the cops did there jobs a little more faithfully and with a little more common sense. and did the job they where created for instead of picking on innocent people. Then it would reduce the over inflatted demand for police officers and city, county, and state budgets would drop as a result.

Wish i could find a statistic on peace officer's versus population when our country was founded and so on throught history, versus crime rates. Just because you have more cops doesnt mean your crime rates are going to go down.

I mean for pity sakes you cant even have an accident any more with out getting charged with something. I mean it could be a true true acccident you shoot at a dear hit the dear but the bullet exits the dear and hits the dude you didnt see in the blind on the other side of the deer and you get charged with manslaugher. What a wonderful system. I think we need to go back to having a few accidents and believe that something could have happend by ACCIDENT. which by definition cant be a violation of the law for 2 reasons 1st you where either ignorant of the law and 2ndly you didnt intend for the the the ACCIDENT to occur. i know i know your going to tell me that an ignorance isnt an excuse. well i say BULL SHlT have you looked at the number of laws in the country. Not even lawyers now all the laws thats why they have to specialize now. how the hell are we supposed to not violate them if we dont even know them all. i mean damn for all i know im violating 20 laws just sitting here writing this and the FBI will show up in the morning and toss me in jail for being a Jeffersonian and wanting SMALLER government and more Freedoms. and especially to get rid of that d@mn'd Patriot Act

Last edited by thefallman; 02-23-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:21 PM

I wonder if you could get past this law by making a folding and locking bracket on a hinge that would make your light bar point down on the roof or strait up so they do not face forward.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CyMoN
I wonder if you could get past this law by making a folding and locking bracket on a hinge that would make your light bar point down on the roof or strait up so they do not face forward.
I have seen those for sale before, Would make it easier to get into parking garages too....
Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, I have just given up on that! haha, parking garages don't really get along with my 4Runner. Not to many around where I live though, so it doesn't really bother me much anyway.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Quick Update, I recieved the ticket in the mail today. It was for $129. Not too bad, but still $129 I could use toward something else.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 AM

that law does not state how "Opaque" the light are requierd to be. have fun.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:49 PM

A decade later here we are. Anyone had experience with getting tickets in California for uncovered lights lately?

I'm curious as to what degree I need to cover my lights. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Friend of mine got a ticket up here in Big Bear CA last summer, I don't know the out come. Sure he just paid it. I see guys coming off the trails and on to the highway with all their off road lights blazing. Probably should cover mine up.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
covers are available cheap for just about any light out there. Just avoid the hassle and cover them when not on the trail
Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So many different laws in different states.

I have seen law enforcement not bother then sometimes be real strict.

I see light bars here uncoverd and on more often then not.

I never think to ask just what the law is in PA it might have something to do where said lights are mounted
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM

My lights are basically covered, even the lower driving/fog lights have clear plastic covers. I've never been pulled over for it, but wondering if I can remove the old, faded covers. I can't find any new covers for them, even on eBay! And I really like the classic, yellow KC covers. @Dropzone, I think many covers are pricey. And I refuse to go with light bars because they aren't period correct for my truck and they come at the cost of my first born son. $$$$$

Last edited by Brock Lee; 02-20-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock Lee
...the lower driving/fog lights have clear plastic covers....can remove the old, faded covers. I can't find any new covers for them, even on eBay! And I really like the classic, yellow KC covers. ... I think many covers are pricey. ...
You can polish clear covers, but that would make them too clear and cold get you another ticket.
Just paint it whatever color you want.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
You can polish clear covers, but that would make them too clear and cold get you another ticket.
Just paint it whatever color you want.
fog lights are exempt, due to thier height.

It's (the safety standard) primary purpose is to prevent my head lights from reflecting off of your auxiliary lighting and blinding me.

You can redye those KC covers (like Rad says), or use them for templates to make new ones.