YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/)
-   -   Tail lights blowing fuzes? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/tail-lights-blowing-fuzes-158480/)

swapped89 11-05-2008 12:00 PM

Tail lights blowing fuzes?

when i turn on my lights, day time running lights or full on lights. the fuze blows and my running tail lights quit working. i can step on the brake and those work. but every time i turn on the lights the fuze blows. could it be a relay, and which one? The headlights still work fine, but the dash lights dont work either.:think:

scuba 11-05-2008 12:11 PM

You have drl's on an 89..?

hmm, Well i would check for broken or cracked wires that short out when they contact a metal they would be contacting...

:dj:

4Crawler 11-05-2008 12:13 PM

Tail light fuse feeds the running lights. Have you installed any aftermarket electronics (radio, CD player, amp, etc.) recently? Any trailer light connector/converter installed? Might check the bulbs for the lights that go out, one may be shorted internally. To test, remove all the bulbs that are in the circuit and see if the fuse still blows. If not, add one bulb at a time and see what happens.

22mr2 11-05-2008 12:17 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but I saw this happen once, the filament in the turn tail bulb was touching the other element and kept popping the fuse every time the turn signal was turned on with the lights on. Might want to try disconnecting the tail lights one at a time to see if they stop blowing the fuse

rdlsz24 11-05-2008 12:32 PM

I had this problem and it was the trailer wiring I added. Once I got rid of that it was back to normal.

Rob

swapped89 11-05-2008 05:47 PM

i took off the trailer wiring... and followed the wires all the way into the cab(the original truck wires). I also checked all the bulbs. how would a radio short out the tail light fuze? Isnt there a relay that controls the dash and tail lights?:bang:

4Crawler 11-05-2008 06:08 PM

The radio is powered off the tail light fuse, so any problems in the radio wiring can overload the TL fuse. What problems? Well Toyotas are wired with a lot of switched ground wiring (and that implies floating grounds) and radios are often wired for switched power use. That is things like the radio back light are set up with one side of the circuit tied to ground. When you tie a circuit expecting a floating ground to a device with a hard wired ground, problems come up. I had that problem with my '85 and when I figured that out and re-wired the radio to have separate power, that problem went away.

swapped89 11-06-2008 10:33 AM

I'll give it a try thanks.

crazn 11-10-2008 02:50 PM

I had this same problem and it was my trailer wiring. I cut it off and wrapped the end.

DYNNOMMYTE 11-10-2008 02:53 PM

KISS method... check the bulbs first, then move to wiring...